elmuerte

Collector's/Special Editions

I'm not going to lie, i really want this Skyrim CE.

it's just some generic dragon.

If i can be the shameful super nerd for a second, it's supposed to be a statue of Alduin/Akatosh, one of the most important figures of the series lore.

Just sayin'... :mock:

As for the price, i generally agree, there really is no ground from which one can defend these grotesquely over-priced 150-dollar CE's that have become increasingly prevalent. Especially a bummer when considering Bethesda had previously, all the way back to Morrowind, been doing really cool CE's that were actually kind of a relatively good value.

PRAISE BE AKATOSH, AND ALL THE DIVINES

(The Nine Divines are boring. Now Daedra... Daedra are never boring.)

So had you not posted that and I didn't see the angry comments about sueing over the word "Scrolls" mixed in with the angry comments about the collector's edition price, I wouldn't have found out what extreme dicks Bethesda have been recently.

Not that I play Bethesda games or feel betrayed about how the company is conducting itself, but this is as stupid as not being allowed to call your game Trenched when there is another game called Trench. Down with suing over one word!

Oh and on the subject of expensive collector's editions, most of the time they end up on ebay for cheap two months, especially ones with the statue junk. I've also pieced together collector's editions of one or two games by just getting only what I wanted instead of the extra replica crap I don't get.

The scrolls thing, you mean?

I seriously can't imagine that will stand, it sounds like somebody pushing paper somewhere is trying to justify their job, but given that there's been so much dumb stuff with trademarks lately, who knows.

The only collector editions I have are

Tales from Monkey Island

Duke Nukem Forever

Maybe Darwinia, I'm not really sure if it can be considered as a special edition.

Also I have the Sam & Max season sets with extra junk inside.

I really don't know what I will do in the end with all the big boxes, because those take a lot of space and I mostly just use/check everything once and then it's just on the shelf until the end of times.

Quite some games I want to buy getting released with special editions the upcoming weeks.

But what's with the prices and content!?

- Uncharted 3

For 150 euros you get a wooden box in which you can put 19 amaray cases. Some physical stuff: the usual shitty statue, a belt buckle and a ring attached to a cord. And some MP DLC. The special editions only contain MP DLC, which is 10 euros more expensive than the "normal" edition. Of course, that's all RRP. Retailers sell the normal game for about 50 euros, and the special edition for about 70. The super special edition is still about 150.

None of the special releases are worth the money. In fact, they don't really contain stuff that's really interesting. Where's a making-of DVD, or artbook, or soundtrack?

- Skyrim

This has been covered in this thread already. 150 euros for great stuff, and a statue. But 150 euros is 3 times the price of the retail game. The more simple special release only contains the map; no soundtrack, no artbook, no making-of.

I'd wish they'd drop the statue and sell that edition for a reasonable price.

- Arkham City

Finally, a proper special edition with a proper price. Only 15 euros more than the standard edition. And for that, you get some plasic; sound track; art book(let); some batman animation movie; horse wallpaper; and some other DLC.

So, I'm only going to get the Arkham City special edition. For Uncharted 3 I'll probably wait until there's an interesting sale. And Skyrim I might pick up the normal edition on release date, or maybe +map edition when I can find a good deal.

I think this move to collectors editions for almost 3 times the price of the standard edition is stupid. Although, they will probably sell it anyway.

You know, I had actually completely forgotten that Uncharted 3 was coming out so soon. Pre-ordered it. :tup:

The north american Arkham City CE comes with a very, very nice statue and a not completely obscene price tag.

The north american Arkham City CE comes with a very, very nice statue and a not completely obscene price tag.

That's what I meant with "some plastic" ;)