Sign in to follow this  
Sno

Idle Forums Game Club - Killer 7 edition

I love KAEDE's gun, so I play as her most of the time. The shorter life bar is a downside, but if you're a good shot it doesn't matter so much.

I just moved and don't have a tv yet (looking for a second PC monitor that I can plug my ps2 into as well), but as soon as I do I will try and catch up with you guys. Picked up this game at an out of business video rental store a couple months ago.

Yes! Another player!

I'm stuck with a lot of stress and work at my new job this week. I might not get to play the next section until Sunday, which sucks, because I'm really looking forward to playing more.

So did we already lose a bunch of people? What was the issue? I thought we had at least six on board. Depressing.

Do we just keep going?

sorry about that, i ended up being away from home for most of the week and didn't have a chance to play it. i should be up to speed for part 2.

okay I got through the first chapter and I'm loving this. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said except that I like KAEDE the most so far. once you put some points into her she's pretty unstoppable. at this point anyway.

One neat thing that nobody mentioned was the blood message on the wall.

"HOW SOON IS NOW"

_U5HpeA_WSo

by... the Smiths. I thought that was a neat touch.

Well it's officially Sunday in my part of the world, so the next chapter:

first, a question. Am I missing anything if I skip talking to Iwazaru?

second, I didn't even try to grind for blood on this level and i ended up with several hundred more units than i could use.

third, I don't know how i feel about that boss. maybe not as clever or fun as they suspected, but still kind of funny.

fourth, I'm taking a shining to Dan. he might be the Mario of the group but he's useful in just about any situation

and fifth, saying that this game is weird is like saying water is wet, but it still manages to be weirder than I expect. I like that

Alright, yeah. Next milestone is to finish Part II of Target 01: Sunset by July 30th.

Week 1 - Target 00: Angel

Week 2 - Target 01: Sunset, Part I

Week 3 - Target 01: Sunset, Part II

^ So finish up to here ^

Week 4 - Target 02: Cloudman

Week 5 - Target 03: Encounter, Part I

Week 6 - Target 03: Encounter, Part II

Week 7 - Target 04: Alter Ego, Part I/II

Week 8 - Target 05: Smile, Part I

Week 9 - Target 05: Smile, Part II/III & Target 06: Lion

Rules remain unchanged. Limit discussion to whatever the group is playing or has played, don't skip ahead. Spoiler tag your story discussion, gameplay discussion doesn't need to be treated in the same fashion.

first, a question. Am I missing anything if I skip talking to Iwazaru?

A lot of the things Iwazaru says when you find him just hanging out in random spots are very story-related, you shouldn't just run past him. Travis also has a lot to say that is story-relevant. Just in general, don't ignore the ghosts. The story in this game is confusing enough as it is, skipping dialogue will only make it worse, heh.

fourth, I'm taking a shining to Dan. he might be the Mario of the group but he's useful in just about any situation

I usually use Dan too, he's responsive and fast, does good damage, and is easy to aim with. (Whereas Coyote has horrendous recoil, probably because he holds his gun like an idiot.)

and fifth, saying that this game is weird is like saying water is wet, but it still manages to be weirder than I expect. I like that

Holy shit dude, and it gets so much weirder.

Woo, finished Sunset 01 yesterday morning. It was delightfully short, which is good because I had no time last week. I liked the art and story parts of that last part even those I still have no idea what was going on. Some stuff was already unsettling and creepy. Not too much to say so far.

Anyone understand what's going on with the woman who saves your game and why she keeps instantly changing attitudes and clothes? Is this a spoiler if I ask?

second, I didn't even try to grind for blood on this level and i ended up with several hundred more units than i could use.

Yeah I really made the mistake doing that the first level. I ended up topping off at 999 dl and was not able to use any more way before then. So this second part I just let it happen and the limit seemed even tighter this time around on how much blood I could gather.

I think I always use Dan so far. I don't like anyone else's gun besides Kaede and Kevin seems to not handle as well for me. I try not to use Kaede because I often fuck up and get hit and she will die quickly on me.

I'm sort of curious what happens if I let Garcian die. I might try that soon. The biggest annoyance for me is this game does not have a soft reset from the controller. I sometimes want to screw around or go back a little but I'm obviously too lazy to get up and hit reset on the Wii.

I think the maid looking lady that saves your game is different from the girl in short shorts that seems to be a babysitter for Harlan when he's using his personas. If you notice, she only shows up in the rooms you can't save in.

totally wild speculation on my part though because I wasn't paying too much attention.

I think KAEDE would be more useful if the aim actually worked the way you'd think it should. even when zoomed in you have to aim lower than you think you do, and even then it's inconsistent. which is why I use Dan, because if I then panic I can take them out really quickly

Iwazaru and the manual says she has daytime clothes but acts rambunctious (or something like that), but it never really explains why. The way it's cut within the game is very jarring to me.

Harman's two caretakers are indeed (probably) the same person and...

You know, the thing is that this game leaves a lot of elements open to interpretation. I could still tell you what I think is going on with that stuff, but for me it would involve discussing the end of the game and huge spoilers, so I'm going to hold off on that. (Personally, replaying the game, i'm really interested to see if what was my interpretation of the story will hold up.)

I hope people don't think I'm being spoilery for saying even that much.

Most of the interesting story discussion is going to come from the final few chapters, but i would love to see everybody else who hasn't previously finished the game speculate about things though. (Like, you know, the locked doors in the Killer 7's hideout and the horrible screeching and screaming coming from behind them.)

Also, KAEDE, you need to buff up her criticals and waver before she's useful, yeah.

Also, Garcian dying is game over, reload a save. Don't die on a corpse run, basically.

Edited by Sno

I think it might say something about me that I don't really spend too much time speculating on some things. I do this with movies too, I'll make mental notes on things like the door noises, etc, but don't spend any time really mulling it over. If however when the movie or game ends, those things aren't resolved, that's when I start piecing things together.

I studied literature and film in school and that might have something to do with the way I approach narratives. I don't know.

I feel like it might bite me in this game though since normal narrative structure has gone right out the window

Alright, next milestone is finishing Target 02: Cloudman by August 6th.

Week 1 - Target 00: Angel

Week 2 - Target 01: Sunset, Part I

Week 3 - Target 01: Sunset, Part II

Week 4 - Target 02: Cloudman

^ So finish up to here ^

Week 5 - Target 03: Encounter, Part I

Week 6 - Target 03: Encounter, Part II

Week 7 - Target 04: Alter Ego, Part I/II

Week 8 - Target 05: Smile, Part I

Week 9 - Target 05: Smile, Part II/III & Target 06: Lion

Personally, i think this is one of the most enjoyable levels in the game. It's also one of the longest, so keep that in mind.

Same rules as always - Limit discussion to whatever the group is playing or has played, don't skip ahead. Spoiler tag your story discussion, gameplay discussion doesn't need to be treated in the same fashion.

Yeah, I'm quite behind as well. Mould was discovered in my apartment and I've been getting shit out of the bedroom so they can rip out the walls to fix stuff and replace them. As such, game time took a massive hit these past couple of weeks.

Alright, so if everybody is falling behind... This is quite a long level too, so should we delay that next deadline for a while? If so, for how long specifically?

I wasn't trying to delay the deadline, just explaining my own slowness. The schedule should be fine. I'd have had no trouble if I hadn't been at a music festival and then arranging for someone to rip out my bedroom walls. I'll catch up sooner or later. Besides, though it was years ago, I did play through to the end of "Encounter" back when the game first came out. Don't worry about spoilers for me until at least then.

Gaaah.

The giant smiles, i had forgotten about those, such a pain in the ass.

One of the better boss fights in the game though, at the end.

Oh, i almost forgot to update this week.

Shit though, you guys are all delayed for different reasons, so fuck it.

We're still on Cloudman, new deadline is the 13th.

Ah cool, I was planning to do the Cloudman one tomorrow or Tuesday.

I finished Sunset Part 2 last night and I'm now officially frustrated with this game. Between ridiculous bosses that are hard to figure out and dying over and over from just walking out of a door and being bombarded, I am so thoroughly confused with the story that I almost have lost interest in trying to piece together anything I'm hearing or reading.

There are still some things I liked, but I feel really let down this chapter, especially when Sunset Part 1 was so nice.

Maybe the difficulty is just me? I tend to be a shit aim in anything involving first person and usually just bumble my way through games like that or find a work around from directly aiming accurately through first person. Best example is Uncharted 2 online, I don't try to fire at people with the reticule at all, I wait around corners, blindfire and punch people in the face. Any open area where I have to aim just leaves me dead. I'm feeling very similar frustration here with my skills. It would be nice if I could get the counter attacks to work more than 50% of the time in Killer 7.

If anyone wants to clear up a lot of what was going on in the Sunset chapters, I'd be very interested. I'm not even completely sure who Fukushima was exactly, what those men playing Mahjong were talking about, who exactly I was supposed to be getting to in order to stop the missiles from hitting Japan, who exactly was launching the missiles in the first place, and whether the missiles even hit (I think they did?).

This story bit could be my fault because I've been thinking about a ton of other crap lately and I waited too long between Sunset 1 and 2 and probably lost a lot of story I was trying to memorize. When I get to the Killer 8 mode, hopefully a lot of this story can be cleared up upon going through it again.

I finished Sunset Part 2 last night and I'm now officially frustrated with this game. Between ridiculous bosses that are hard to figure out and dying over and over from just walking out of a door and being bombarded, I am so thoroughly confused with the story that I almost have lost interest in trying to piece together anything I'm hearing or reading.

Maybe the difficulty is just me? I tend to be a shit aim in anything involving first person and usually just bumble my way through games like that or find a work around from directly aiming accurately through first person. Best example is Uncharted 2 online, I don't try to fire at people with the reticule at all, I wait around corners, blindfire and punch people in the face. Any open area where I have to aim just leaves me dead. I'm feeling very similar frustration here with my skills. It would be nice if I could get the counter attacks to work more than 50% of the time in Killer 7.

The game does not have especially great bosses, but they usually boil down to a simple trick. If you're having trouble with them, you're probably trying to over-complicate things.

Killer 7 does require a good degree of accuracy, i suppose. I didn't personally find either part of Sunset at all difficult, I think the giants in Cloudman are the first part where the game can be kind of a bitch. (In fact, i'd recommend using Kevin to just stealth past those things. Really, don't forget the character abilities! Coyote and Kevin have charge shots that are totally practical for normal combat.)

Also, counters need to be timed, but down attacks don't. So at least for enemies with legs to shoot out, you can do that and just keep spamming on the A button as they approach. In fact, in general, don't get too hung up on trying to score criticals all the time. Destroying limbs will still earn you a little bit of blood, even when finishing them off with a non-critical kill.

Don't run blindly into rooms, it's often already too late to save your ass if you only react once you start hearing the laughter. It's kind of weird and counter-intuitive trying to feel out the safest spots to scope out a room from when you're locked to rails, but Con's super speed and Kevin's invisibility can really help out with this.

You can heal at will, in case you missed this. Spend vials on the pause menu, even in the middle of combat.

If all else fails, use Mask De Smith, but make sure you don't fall behind in blood collection.

If anyone wants to clear up a lot of what was going on in the Sunset chapters, I'd be very interested. I'm not even completely sure who Fukushima was exactly, what those men playing Mahjong were talking about, who exactly I was supposed to be getting to in order to stop the missiles from hitting Japan, who exactly was launching the missiles in the first place, and whether the missiles even hit (I think they did?).

This story bit could be my fault because I've been thinking about a ton of other crap lately and I waited too long between Sunset 1 and 2 and probably lost a lot of story I was trying to memorize. When I get to the Killer 8 mode, hopefully a lot of this story can be cleared up upon going through it again.

This is the third time i've played through Killer 7, and i've never had an easy time following what the hell is going on in the Sunset levels.

And... i... You know, i just here had a thing written out trying to explain what i think was going on in those two levels, but honestly... Dude, i don't fucking know. I thought i had it figured out, but once i read what i had written out, i realized it didn't make any sense at all.

This game is so hard to follow.

I think the missiles at the end are supposed to be missiles sent to intercept other missiles that were targeted at Japan.

*Shrug*

Don't run blindly into rooms, it's often already too late to save your ass if you only react once you start hearing the laughter. It's kind of weird and counter-intuitive trying to feel out the safest spots to scope out a room from when you're locked to rails, but Con's super speed and Kevin's invisibility can really help out with this.

You can heal at will, in case you missed this. Spend vials on the pause menu, even in the middle of combat.

Well it seemed the parts before were less like this, but Sunset Part 2 had a lot of parts where I would exit a room and heaven smile creatures would instantly be a few feet away from me, giving me very little time to accurately shoot them all.

I usually use all my blood to heal before I can even use it for charge shots and part of collecting the stuff I can heal with seems to rely on me getting accurate critical shots. It's kind of a vicious cycle, but I do feel I will get better at it eventually.