Sign in to follow this  
shammack

Cities in Motion

Anybody playing Cities in Motion? I got it during a Steam sale a couple of weeks ago, and it seems like the kind of thing that would be relevant to the interests of some people here. You manage the public transportation systems (including buses, trams, metros, ferries, and helicopters) for several different cities at various points in time. The population is made up of a handful of types of people who each have their own homes and destinations, and you try to make your transit system more efficient for them than driving their own cars (you don't have any direct control over car traffic, but you have to take it into account so your buses and trams don't end up in traffic jams). You also manage salaries and vehicle inventory, take out loans, buy advertising, etc.

It's not as complicated as something like SimCity in terms of things you have to manage, but the simulation is pretty deep, you can give your lines amusing names, and it's relaxing to watch your vehicles make their rounds (until you notice a stop that has a hundred unhappy people waiting at it). There's a campaign, a sandbox mode, and a map editor. If you're into that sort of thing, I highly recommend it.

No

must not even try this, TTD wasted too many days of my lives

Therapeutic Targets Database? True Time Delay? Turtle Turtle Duck?

omfg....

really!?

You don't know Transport Tycoon Deluxe?

Transport Tycoon Deluxe, now OpenTTD, is one of the best ever games. Sid Meier is king.

It looks really good, but the interface is god-awful terrible. It's not just badly thought out or implemented, or ugly, or impractical – it's practically unusable. Trying to build tracks or metro stations feels like manually defragmenting a hard disk. There's just red splotches everywhere and I move the mouse around until something is green and then I click.

Transport Tycoon Deluxe, now OpenTTD, is one of the best ever games. Sid Meier is king.

What? Transport Tycoon and TTD were master Chris Sawyer's games, not El Sid's.

I think you're confusing Transport Tycoon with Theme Park.

No. You're thinking of Peter Molyneux's Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Don't you dare profane RCT. :deranged:

No... Chris Sawyer made Sim Theme Hospital Tycoon.

Tycoon Game Tycoon

Otherwise listed under Synonyms for Chris Sawer.

Railroad Tycoon = Sid Meier

Transport Tycoon = Chris Sawyer

Sad about Sawyer basically bowing out of game development after Locomotion. I wiki him every so often hoping to find out what he's working on, but there's nothing. :tdown:

Railroad Tycoon = Sid Meier

Transport Tycoon = Chris Sawyer

Sad about Sawyer basically bowing out of game development after Locomotion. I wiki him every so often hoping to find out what he's working on, but there's nothing. :tdown:

I think this thread has already firmly established that Chris Sawyer developed Theme Park, Sid Meier developed Transport Tycoon, and Peter Molyneux made Rollercoaster Tycoon. Thanks for trying, though :tup:

The question remains as to who is developing Cities in Motion. I searched on Googles and I think it's this guy:

post-94-13375603405718_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Fun fact: Lord British spawned from one of Warren Spector's Robot Wars bot prototypes.

You're thinking of Will Wright:

3863_Human_Toolkit-10_04700300.jpg

Ok, so it's not him with his battlebots robot, but I couldn't find any pictures of the two of them together, only photos of Wright and photos that said "this is Wright's robot"...

Anyway.

I forgot to mention I played it some more, starting on the campaign, and things are starting to make more sense. Definitely unpolished, but there's also something there I can't wait to get back to.

Anyway.

I forgot to mention I played it some more, starting on the campaign, and things are starting to make more sense. Definitely unpolished, but there's also something there I can't wait to get back to.

What does this have to do with Will Wright?