Sign in to follow this  
Sully907

GDC 11 Panels available for free now

http://www.gdcvault.com/free/gdc-11

I'm such a nerd for this kind of stuff after reading books like masters of doom, smartbomb, and following the duke nukem saga, and now we can watch these sweet developer post mortems without having to pay several thousand dollars. Thanks GDC!

Yes, this is what I will be spending most of tomorrow on.

Time to check all those sweet post mortem panels.

Holy shit, this is awesome : I've just watched Gilbert's, Mechner's, Molyneux' and Wright's postmortems (and watch a big part of the Braben's) and I'm amazed by two things. First, all of them are very good technical people - even Molyneux! - that grew to be awesome designers ... and they seem to remember everything in extreme details!

It makes me wonder how the coming game designers - who I expect will be mostly formally trained (it's already starting) - are going to shape the industry in the coming 10 years.:erm:

The second suprising thing is that even though they all tell stories of games being made by accident - it was mentioned in the podcast, but I didn't imagine it was that systematic- all of these are deeply linked to the character of their creator ... it's not just about finding an idea by accident or finding a neat trick : some of them agonize over the game like Mechner, some other are doing shortcuts like Molyneux, some of them are stumble upon while making tools etc ... it's very interesting and slightly encouraging to know that whatever you're doing is feeding some kind of random generator that might produce something innovating in the short/long run.:tup:

I was most impressed by Mechner's who seems to be a very 'sensitive' perso(for a lack of a better world) and a better speaker than what I anticipated and thank god for Wright and his interests in fields that might not seem game related at first : it's for that kind of diversification that save the game industry from cannibalising itself and that 'inspired' me to join it rather than, say, work on insurance companies software.

Anyway, this bumped my enthusiasm as much as Seamus Blackley's talk with Spector did a few years back.:clap:

i remember playing the genisis version of out of this world randomly as a kid, not really understanding it's importance or uniqueness at the time, can't wait to watch that one and learn more about the game.

Watching that Doom post-mortem, i couldn't help thinking it would be way better with Carmack. It felt like Ringo taking credit for the Beatles success.

Doom one was still great, though. Loved seeing those alphas!

Watching that Doom post-mortem, i couldn't help thinking it would be way better with Carmack. It felt like Ringo taking credit for the Beatles success.

You should read the book "Masters of Doom"; it will make you more depressed on what Doom could have been.

Carmack is a true genius, but he's not exactly a public speaker

I just recently listened again the Bethesda podcast where Carmack was for a long interview. Such an awesome guy.

Makes me wish Romero would stop being an ass and concentrate. Someday they should make one more game together.

John+John = To the infinity and beyond

You should read the book "Masters of Doom"; it will make you more depressed on what Doom could have been.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I've loaned it from the library and am ready to be depressed.

I also got a Supernatural prequel graphic novel because I'm lame.

I also got a Supernatural prequel graphic novel because I'm lame.

There are Supernatural books? Are they any good?

There are Supernatural books? Are they any good?

Haven't read it yet, but it's a comic. There are novels as well, apparently, but they weren't clever (or forward-planning) enough to SEASON 4 SPOILER

make them diegetic like the Castle ones, to tie in with Chuck the prophet novelist.

I doubt they're any good but have no idea. The comic is a prequel set soon after Mary Winchester's death.