Gwardinen

Tabletop RPGs

I'm wondering, has this forum ever been used to get together or even play (in a play by post fashion) a tabletop RPG, a la Dungeons & Dragons?

I've played a little of a few systems, online and off, and it's definitely something I'm interested in trying again, and it seems like it might be something that would have a few adherents in this crowd. Is anyone else interested, or even able to run such a game?

Do you mean online or off? I might be interested, maybe. I've played some D&D and it was awesome.

I'm getting ready playing something called Hunter - The Vigil over the weekend. I think it's a thing from World of Darkness, or something like that. I think it's the same universe that Vampire - the Masquerade takes place in.

Anyhoo, never played any tabletops before so I have no idea if I like them yet. Always been interested though!

I've done a few tabletop and RPG things over the interwebs. There are many tools out there to facilitate such things. I'd be happy to join whatever you have in mind.

I was hoping there'd be a Thumb with DM experience, as I have none and frankly don't know any system well enough as a player that I'd want to try running a game unless there's no other option.

I'm definitely in.

It could be really interesting to try and play it in the forum. If we got to set up a subforum, so that we could have free range to discuss the game, like having one thread for the ongoing narrative, one for each combat encounter, etc. Or play using the online tools, but chronicling it here.

I COULD also DM, recently started my first campaign as one.

I've heard Play by Post is totally doable, the Penny Arcade forums are literally filled with PbP campaigns. However, I do wonder how well that would work with something like D&D, which in terms of combat is boardgame-esque, with positioning and ranges being very important. They seem to manage, but I don't know if there is a trick to it.

An alternative, like Hermie said, is online tools - I presume you're referring to the official subscription-based stuff but there are some relatively decent free options too. I briefly used RPGTools as a player in a friend's D&D3.5 campaign, and that works pretty well, being basically a group map-with-tokens program that also allows the creation of macros. So for example you can macro up your various attacks and abilities so that you don't have to calculate their damage each time, you can just tell the program that it'll be 1d4+5 and it'll roll for you and add them up each time.

We seem to all be talking about D&D (right?). My only experience has been with the 4th edition through watching this series (really funny and informative):

TJN1JvnRGWE

That series is an excellent introduction, as is it's audio counterpart, with the Penny Arcade crew. Perfect for understanding how the a typical game is run, and/or how to be inventive with your storytelling.

D&D4 seems to be the most sensible jumping off point because D&D is the entry point for most people into tabletop RPGs and 4E is not only the most recent version but the most accessible version and the edition that is closest to the video game logic we all already understand (partly why it has generated controversy in the D&D crowd).

Hermie, if you're willing to try to DM a campaign, and I realise this is a big deal, I would absolutely be on board to help get us set up technically and kick it all off. We would just have to all decide between us if using an asynchronous method such as Play by Post or Google Wave, which would allow us all to just log on and contribute as and when, is better than trying to set a time for a synchronous play session using some sort of online tool. The latter would possibly make for easier tactical play and (arguably) more flow, but the former allows for more description, characterisation and will potentially keep us going longer because we just have to post once or twice a day or something along those lines - and this is after all something we do around here anyway.

Theoretically, couldn't the DM just point a webcam at the dungeon and Skype? Not sure how group video skype works, if it does, but it's a very low tech possibility.

I'm more in favor of synchronous play, but asynchronous means more people can more easily participate.

We seem to all be talking about D&D (right?). My only experience has been with the 4th edition through watching this series (really funny and informative):

TJN1JvnRGWE

Chris Perkins! My favorite D&D related man in the universe. Awesome, watching those soon.

Oh, um, I was presuming roleplaying through voice chat and some program made for online tabletop roleplaying! Not interested in asynchronous :(

Well 9 people have posted in this thread, which is nearly enough for two full parties. We could separate them into people who want to do synchronous and people who want to do asynchronous or we can just have two games going as synchronous. Alternatively we may end up with just one group as people drop out. It's MOSTLY up to those who end up DMing, as they're the ones doing the work to allow us to have a good time (we can totally rotate DMs though as we learn the system).

Hermie and Orvidos are the two who have mentioned possibly DMing, are you two willing to try it? As I've said I'm totally willing to help set it up and run it in any way I can, I just don't think I could be a primary DM yet because I simply don't know the rules well enough.

Because I am a horrible person (read: 3.5 purist), my entire knowledge of D&D4 comes from the Penny Arcade/PVP/Wil Wheaton podcasts. That said, I can find/pick up a 4.0 book relatively easily and learn.

There are a few free tools out there for battlegrid/play field representation, and most of them come with dice rollers.

Skype for the actual roleplaying bits would be fine.

If it comes down to me and Hermie doing it, I can assemble the needed tools in this thread or another and maybe have a session or two ready in a week?

You are a Prince among men, Orvidos, and that would be really sweet.

If you want any help with figuring out programs to use let me know, Skype is fine for the communication side for me but I also know Mumble and Ventrilo and I know those can sometimes be easier for groups. I currently have control of a Mumble server which works some of the time. As for the actual game program, the only one I've used for a synchronous game is RPGTools, and that only as a player and fairly briefly but I'm sure we can figure something out.

Sure, could try to DM. Like I said, I don't have much experience, but I have a decent understanding of the 4E rules. Especially since it seems like most people are new-ish to either RPGing, D&D or 4e, then everyone can be awkwardly figuring things out together. \o/

If you could help finding tools Gwardinen, that would be excellent. I have heard of Fantasy Grounds before, and Gabe of PA linked this, but beyond that I am blank to online D&D tools.

I DMed a lot in my time, and your proposal's definitely interesting !

Are you straight in your boots about D&D or would you like to develop something a little fancier ? :)

Like Lovecraftish, Japanish ?

Agone's one of the most beautiful universes I've tried and I'd love to go back on a campaign of that one.

But anyway, I'm in too !