Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Three Moves Ahead ep 103: With Chris Remo

Chris appears on another podcast, like he does!

http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2011/02/10/three-moves-ahead-episode-103-community/

Rob turtles up for a free-for-all discussion of RTS multiplayer gaming with Tom Chick and Chris Remo. What really powers the Starcraft II community, and why can’t other RTS games match it? It looks unstoppable, but does a challenger arise with League of Legends? 3MA favorites Supreme Commander II and RUSE depress the panel with their multiplayer front-end, but Chris cheers himself up by building a cathedral in Dawn of Discovery.

I feel like Tom needs to watch some Day9 dailies and give up his beef with Blizzard. It's like pulling teeth to get him to acknowledge the game has any depth, or that it's got any value beyond the most hardcore players.

The game is so layered, that it just works so well at almost any level of skill.

I need to do three things;

- Listen to more 3MA

- Play some Dawn of Discovery MP

- Learn ShitCraft2 :(

I feel like Tom needs to watch some Day9 dailies and give up his beef with Blizzard. It's like pulling teeth to get him to acknowledge the game has any depth, or that it's got any value beyond the most hardcore players.

The game is so layered, that it just works so well at almost any level of skill.

I empathize with your frustration. Starcraft is a deep nuanced game, and one of my favorite things about it is the sense that, if I think something is overpowered/underpowered, I can count on the fact that it's probably just that I don't understand the counter to it yet (at least at my level of play).

That said, I also really appreciate that Starcraft 2 isn't the only game to do that, and at my level of play the difference between it's balance and something like Supreme Commander 2 is mostly that I can read about Starcraft in my off-time more easily than Supreme Commander 2 -

And also that if Supreme Commander 2 had taken off in the same way, there probably wouldn't be much difference.