Sign in to follow this  
Orv

Neptune's Pride Co-op, Sort Of

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/12/15/blight-of-the-immortals-blight-up-pt-1/#more-46203

I'm not a giant fan of Neptune's Pride from the little I managed to play of it (damned internet) but this looks like it might be more up my alley.

Thoughts?

(And really, hilarious back-stabbing not-co-op-co-op with Thumbs? I can't think of a better way to worry myself to death.)

A co-op game against a common enemy, which tempts you working also against your comrades for selfish reasons? This sounds like a horrific experience, indeed. It's like Left 4 Dead (2) Versus mode where only a single player can win the match. I imagine the result being disastrous. Surrounded by douches who you can only beat by acting douchy yourself. Ugh!

A co-op game against a common enemy, which tempts you working also against your comrades for selfish reasons? This sounds like a horrific experience, indeed. It's like Left 4 Dead (2) Versus mode where only a single player can win the match. I imagine the result being disastrous. Surrounded by douches who you can only beat by acting douchy yourself. Ugh!

Well, killing each other isn't the objective. Killing off other human players earns you nothing. So, not. . .exactly my take on it, Quanta. . .

I'm definitely in. That sounds like a magnificent way to shave years off my life through high blood pressure.

Well, killing each other isn't the objective. Killing off other human players earns you nothing. So, not. . .exactly my take on it, Quanta. . .

Ermm... I said "working against" and "beating", not "killing". What about my analogy attempt? Successful? Maybe I misread the whole affair. :hmph:

Ermm... I said "working against" and "beating", not "killing". What about my analogy attempt? Successful? Maybe I misread the whole affair. :hmph:

I liked the L4D2 analogy, as I've actually run into random teams that try to be The Highlander.

As for the game itself, as far as I can tell (from the website of the game itself) the only way to "win" is to remove the Blight from the map entirely. So yeah, the initial expansion phase could get a bit contentious (probably less in an all Thumb game, none of us are complete assholes here) but I imagine we could work it out.

I have this mental image of this glorious Thumbs game of Blight of the Immortals in which we support each other and give cohesive reports on how we are about to die horribly and things of that sort. It's part of the reason I want mobs on in our MineCraft server. I believe a large cooperative Thumbs game would be an astounding thing to take part in. Mainly because people around here are not stupid.

Alright, so I've joined a game (if you have a Google account, you're basically in Beta.) and I'll see about doing an AAR.

If I enjoy it enough, I'll look into grabbing a "key" and starting a Thumbs game, probably next week.

I swear to god, I won't multipost for a week!

So I started a game over at RPS forums (I spent money, yes) and any of you are welcome to become a part of it.

Any Google account will get you into the site/beta. Simply go to the "Join Game" page and scroll down to browse "Custom Games"

Game name: The Shotgun Cyclops

Keyword: "Iron Quinns" (sans quotations)

I promise not to steal your orcs like I did to that dude in my first game.

Website was giving me trouble and then I found your game is full and has disappeared anyway, ah well. I'll join a free game for now and see what it's like.

I can sort of see why you people like Neptune's Pride, if the two are even remotely similar. Here's the situation.

I hold Eldercourt, a Wizard's Tower, with 15 Cyclops. In 11 hours, 64 zombies are about to come out of the wilderness and beat my face in. But wait!

Another player gives me 12 Yellow Coins. This allows me to reinforce my cyclops army with 5 more cyclops, for 8 Yellow.

This also allows me to use the cyclops special ability, Hypnotic Gaze. That ability holds an army in place for X hours. X being the number of cyclops in the army /2. I've just given myself 7.5 extra hours, bringing the arrival time of the zombie army up to just under 18 hours.

Tax time is in 12 hours. But, I have 30 blue coins, because I don't have a nearby human settlements to bribe. A Wizard's Tower however, is a human settlement. And a Circle of Wizards costs 12 Blue Coins to recruit. They can cast Lightning Storm, which does X damage to an army, where X is number of wizards x whatever. This cools down. . .in 10 hours.

Eldercourt already has nominal walls, giving me a +10 strength bonus. I can spend another 4 blue coins to bump that up to a +20 strength bonus. . .in just over 17 hours.

I've gone from what I assumed was a losing cause (or at the very least, I'd move my cyclops out just in time to get the tax money from Elder Court) to what could end up being a very significant blow against the Blight.

Loving this game.

My first and only foray into Neptune's Pride was also marred internet issues. I had no home access for a month! I didn't really enjoy the small amount of time I spent with it so I never tried it again. Even so, I've joined in a game of Blight of the Immortals as I think this one sounds more interesting to me. Also on first impressions the UI and layout is a bit more comprehensible than NP felt.

Being that busy time of year though I haven't checked in for a couple of days, I hope I'm not doomed when I check in after work...

Are we going to try for an Idle Thumbs game? We'd either need a genuine private game or just to all try to join a free one at the same time.

Are we going to try for an Idle Thumbs game? We'd either need a genuine private game or just to all try to join a free one at the same time.

I have a Key in lieu of my normal MMO monthly payment, so I can host one for people who are interested.

List of people so far:

Gwardinen

Myself

Fatcat

Grufff

Anyone else? 6 more slots.

Edited by Orvidos

Is this one of those games where you quit your job and stress about it for a month? Cause I have plenty of stress already and no job to quit.

I can't imagine anyone quitting a job over it because there's just not enough time required to do anything in it. I'm in two games and spend a maximum of 20-30 minutes a day on them in total.

If I wanted to play it to the extent of full-time employment, extrapolation suggests I'd have to simultaneously join 12 games, and even then I'd have to spend the unnecessary amount of time on each that I do now. I could probably actually get away with only spending 5 minutes on each game per day, which would mean I'd have to join along the lines of 36 games to make it a full-time job.

The stress part... well... if you're given to concern yourself over the impending doom of zombies gradually pulling closer over the course of 18 hours at a time to devour your helpless kingdom piece by piece... yes there could well be some stress.

You have my sympathies.

To join, head to http://blight.ironhelmet.com/ and attempt to login, it should have you create an account via some sort of Google account. I don't know if there are free Google things you can sign up for that will give you a valid account or how that works exactly, I used my gmail account.

After that, I just joined a couple of free games to see what the game was like, beyond that we'll have to wait for the Idle Thumbs game to come together.

We've got five (5) players so far.

This means we need three (3) more.

It's free of obligation, folkses!

I'm in. What do I do, who do I have to fuck?

Your hand, and/ couch.

Two more!