Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Awesome Medical Breakthroughs Thread

We're getting there! Thank you science!

JgaMZT1Z2dw

A full hand transplant, including nerves.

Cool! I always like elegant solutions to aid delivery. Reminds me of a very funny Iain M Banks short story called 'Cleaning Up'.

A friend of my family works for the UN rapid relief response. He converted a tank-carrying WW2 warship into a 'can dock anywhere' relief delivery vessel.

Here's something medical: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13430219

I had read that, and it is very interesting. I don't drink coffee myself, as I shy away from any addicting substance out there. The point here is that they assume it's an unknown compound in the coffee that creates the salubrious effect (I had been waiting for a good chance to use that word!). Once they find it (it might be some antioxidant) they'll be able to synthesize it into other foods and/or pills.

It just so happens I'm scrutinizing my diet at the moment, spurred on by my recent conversion to pescotarianism (no meats, but still fish), which does require a careful approach not to miss out on vital compounds like proteins, but also things I read about diet. Has anyone seen the recent documentary Forks over Knives? Apparently it stresses the importance of changing our diets and points towards our eating habits as the main cause of most of our prominent Western diseases and ailments (cancer, cardiovascular problems, etc).

It's time to celebrate the work of Dr Kevorkian now that he has died: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2075644,00.html

It's not really a medical break through, but it has been an important battle. Maybe some day the USA (and various other countries) will grant people the freedom over their own lives.

I keep my fingers strongly crossed that the enlightened view of other countries might filter over to the USA some day before I reach the point I need to, well, you know. Think about exercising that control.