Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Driver: San Francisco

So this looks like it could be pretty sweet. I never paid much attention to the Driver series, at first because I didn't have a Playstation, and then because Driv3r apparently sucked. This new game looks like it could be fun, though. Has anyone here played any of the previous games? Are they like GTA, only with more driving?

The first one was excellent back in the day. As I remember you couldn't even get out of the car during the missions so it was basically like GTA with nothing but driving. It was released before GTA III so I was blown away by the 3D open world.

I hope the new game will be good cause I'd love to do some more driving. Was there armed combat in Driv3r by the way?

Edit: Just watched the video. What? So it is all a dream?

Driver had a pretty revolutionary movie recording mode, I remember that. I didn't spend all that much time with it, but most was fiddling around with the clip recording stuff.

Drive 1 was a pretty neat chase/getaway game after you get past the tutorial(I think it took a friend and me like a day to do that alone, lol) I don't recall it being overly open world, it was totally mission based but basically take the chase/getaway sequences in GTA and make them a game, only because thats only the game, they were quite a bit more memorable(at least compared to GTA 3 that was done way later)

I remember playing the Michael Madeson Driver(driv3r?) and Im not sure where or how, or why? It was basically trying to be GTA and ended up (in my memory)about as good as True Crime (in my memory both these are shit.)

I got to see Driver last summer, the production lead was actually one of the chief technology guys on Farcry 2. It was in a very rough state and very much GTA(physics, driving, world, etc) so I was pretty blown away when I saw the E3 presentation... its come a long way.

Wrong: Yeah so turns out this Driver isn't the one I got a chance to see, this is the other one thats been in the works in New Castle for like 4 years. So yeah stay tuned for that whenever... I'm still perplexed why they started from scratch when there already was Driver in the works with seemingly superior technology.

So either way I liked the references they were saying and being able to see those references in the game, which was pretty neat. It had me sold up until the mind control bit. Visually flying out of the city was neat, but I really dislike the feature all together as their references and everything up to that point was so grounded.

They talked about this on one of the Giantbomb E3 Podcasts...it sounds like it's Deadly Premonition levels of batshit insane. The main character is in a coma...so I guess this is in his subconscious and he can switch from one car to another instantly without getting out and moving. It's like he's a magic ghost. It's like the upcoming Ghost Trick with cars (have you guys heard of Ghost Trick? it sounds brilliant).