Sign in to follow this  
enterthewumpus

the Give Whatever You Want bundle

Has anyone else been following this? Apparently some guy talked a couple more indie devs in to making another humble-type bundle, but, (plot twist,) the 'shopkeeper' seems to be crooked.

Thus far,

-the organizer is taking a 30% cut from all of the developers

-He's also maybe been accused of both fraud and selling software keys that were purchased with a stolen credit card

-the terms of service for the bundle are in german

-people have reported not actually being able to download the games they've paid for

-Child's Play, one of the charities that he had claimed to be donating to has pulled out

-two of the developers have also pulled out. (Ludosity and Dark Castle Software)

Most of this information comes from PC Gamer's interview with the organizer, but I've seen a couple other sites pick it up as well.

This makes me pretty sad, personally. The Humble Bundle was a pretty great thing, and I'm afraid that this kind of crap will dissuade people from doing things like it in the future.

edit- And it looks like the website for the bundle is actually down now, due to technical issues. It also looks like it might be screaming at me in german.

This makes me pretty sad, personally. The Humble Bundle was a pretty great thing, and I'm afraid that this kind of crap will dissuade people from doing things like it in the future.

Considering the Humble Bundle has gotten much more press before this fraud (so far), I would guess that's more of a worst case scenario at this point.

I see this more as a crook seeing the success of others and taking hold of the opportunity to scam similar customers and developers and run.

The language barrier is definitely not helping the situation. This guy needs a translator ASAP. Most of this is probably from miscommunication and misorganization.

I got that feeling too. I think he saw an opportunity in perhaps making a bit of money from his cut of the sales (which he at least claims comes completely from the money going to the game developers and not the charity) while organizing the charity thing. That's not so unusual, but then he fucked up actually making the thing work, and that combined with the language barrier made him seem like a scam artist. I don't think he is that. I think he's a fuck up.

Yeah, calling it a scam is misleading

The downloads not working for some people must be a technical fault. I had no problems, and the download speeds were fantastic.

Two devs dropped out because he started the sale without notifying them.

He might be a dick for threatening them with lawsuits, but also he surely felt violated because they had an agreement (albeit a verbal one).

So he's really unprofessional, but he wasn't out to scam anyone.

Why did Child's Play drop out? It could very well be a policy thing, since one of their other policies is to not mix Child's Play with Penny Arcade