Sign in to follow this  
Chuckpebble

What's your favorite cold cut.

Its 10 AM here and I'm already gettin' hungry...

So what's your favorite cold cut?

Personally, I'm partial to Oven Gold Turkey at about a 2 thickness, 0 being chipped and 5 being thick. When I get bored of that I switch to a Blackforest Ham at a 1 thickness. Like Kramer says, there's nowhere for the flavor to hide.

As far as brands go, I stick with Boar's Head. I have a grocery store that I could walk to in five minutes if I wanted to, instead I hop in my car and shop about 10 miles away because the closer place doesn't carry Boar's Head.

image.php?u=2256&dateline=1270825588Good cold cuts are high on my list.

Shit, I've never once knew there was this kind of depth to meat slices.

I get the little deli HEB tubbed turkey. I know that doesn't count at all and it tastes cheap (which it is).

Hungarian hot salami cut as thick as possible, mustard, ketchup on a certain type of bun that I can't remember the name of(not kaiser)

But I currently have braces and can't eat sandwitches :(

Since being in Montreal when i could eat sandwitches I liked what I had with montreal smoked meat.

I'm too poor to afford expensive meats and brands, so I usually just buy Publix (SE United States Grocery Brand) Virginia ham at... I guess 2/5 thickness, on your scale? Usually, I'm pretty much an "eat whatever is in the fridge" kind of guy, then I splurge on bread and cheese because that stuff is multi-purpose (good for different kinds of hot subs and stuff that I might make).

Beats and pieces I think.

Ba-dum-tish.

In other news, I usually go for a decent ham. Wiltshire, or Yorkshire, whichever looks the least fatty/nicest on the day from the deli. Is quite expensive though.

You should always get an 'on the bone' cut of meat. It's much healthier for your colon because they haven't buggered about with it so much (much of the deli ham etc is reformed crap)

I can't remember how I know it's better for your colon, if I do, I'll post a link.

Personally I would rather go hungry than eat ready cut ham/turkey/chicken/whatever slices. The animals have usually had a shit life and have been pumped full of antibiotics and water all in the name of profit.

Personally I would rather go hungry than eat ready cut ham/turkey/chicken/whatever slices. The animals have usually had a shit life and have been pumped full of antibiotics and water all in the name of profit.

Must be nice to afford such elitism in your diet where you're willing to go hungry then eat cheap affordable meat for the rest of society.

I suppose leave the processed foods, non free ranged meats from your own personal farm, and all unorganic vegetables to the plebes, eh?

You should always get an 'on the bone' cut of meat. It's much healthier for your colon because they haven't buggered about with it so much (much of the deli ham etc is reformed crap)

Everything at the super markets around me is heavily processed and vacuum sealed. I think I'm gonna snoop around and see if I can find 'on the bone' meats at an area Italian market or farm market.

I was once at this place called Illg's Meats wherein I witnessed the marvel that is tongue cheese. Needless to say, I have never been in there since. But I imagine I'd be able to get on the bone cuts there.

Hm. I don't buy the reconstituted stuff. It's pretty expensive as ham goes - nearly 4 quid sometimes for 4 slices. Is it still true with that? That isn't to say it's not been grown on ABs though!

Otherwise all of our meat and poultry comes from t'local butcher from t'local farms. Pricey, but tastier and it keeps money in the local area.

Fellow Boar's Head brand loyalist here.

If I could figure out an easy way to smush turkey into the smooth essence of deli meat on my own (and without buying a grinder), I totally would. It's goodstuff.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can get smushed-deli-style meat thats all 'cruelty-free' and such at this point. (Also, lets not start that argument.. :shifty:)

Must be nice to afford such elitism in your diet where you're willing to go hungry then eat cheap affordable meat for the rest of society.

I suppose leave the processed foods, non free ranged meats from your own personal farm, and all unorganic vegetables to the plebes, eh?

Whoa, that's a bit harsh, I did say it was my choice. It's not elitist, I would rather pay a bit more for better food and not have other things, what's elitist about that? I just have different priorities than you.

Personally, processed food in general but especially meat, I don't find appealing at all. I would genuinely rather eat just vegetables if the only meat on offer was processed meat. If you find it ok then great, that's up to you, I'm not saying in any way that I am better than you, jeez.

Either you misinterpreted my post or you have a (probably processed :mock:) chip on your shoulder, I'm not sure which.

This seems like a good thread as any to be my first post on a video gaming forum... about cold cuts...

I would probably go with the BLT... even though that's probably not considered a cold cut sandwich, in which case TURKEY! Turkey (breast) is my favorite.

Who needs cold cuts?

The Chick-Fil-A Double Down

Just saw this on Brad's twitter. You're amazing and horrible, Jon.

Was not sure if you were gonna post this here or in the "most disgusting thing I've ever done" thread...