Sign in to follow this  
Patters

Limited editions, what's your stance?

If they come with a lunchbox and a bobblehead I'm game!

They sent me a broken Vault Boy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=535&stc=1&d=1272369085

I'll never buy a Limited Edition again!

post-2340-13375603199363_thumb.jpg

Just twigged: Special editions are maybe becoming a facet of the solution to deny resale value. If this is obvious to everybody, I apologise.:grin:

They sent me a broken Vault Boy.

Or maybe they sent you a super limited edition nuclear-holocaust battle-damage Vault Boy.

Usually I only give in to Special Editions if they have some kind of exclusive making of content not found elsewhere. I don't often see a ton of games I'm into with this sort of treatment, so the only recent games like this I've bought are Prince of Persia PS3, Infamous, and Metal Gear Solid 4.

I don't go for the physical junk or steelbook type cases at all. I don't even care about artbooks unless it's an artist I really like or follow, but that hardly ever happens with games. The only game soundtrack maker I follow, Peter McConnell, hardly ever has physical CDs available either, although that would be nice.

Does a game have to be marked limited or special edition for it to be considered one, though? Nowadays it just seems to be an upsell of superficial add-ons. I have gotten certain pre-order bonuses from Game Stop in the past, but I don't think those are really special edition type things.

The earliest I can remember of this sort of thing is when you had multiple copies you could buy of Grim Fandango that had different things inside of them each. One was a mini-walkthrough, but I opted for the one with the Sountrack CD.

Well, I do have a Deluxe Limited Edition of Phantasmagoria, but it's not like there was any other edition back then. When Stonekeep was released it contained a small novel, so you could consider that original edition special compared to the later released budget version.

How much did you end up paying for that?

Actually, I paid less than I would have for a new copy.

I paid $45 in May 2009. Fallout 3 had been out for a while at that point, but it was still selling for $60 new and $55 used everywhere I looked. And this was for the regular, non-deluxe copies.

Then Amazon had a sale for this Limited Edition, knocking it below the regular edition's price. I decided to go for it and bought the lunchbox.

Even though my Vault Boy cannot stand up on his own, he's still cute.

I only bought two other Limited Edition games: Halo 2 and Mass Effect 2. I bought Halo 2 used at an insanely cheap price. For Mass Effect 2 I used a gift certificate.

I'm such a skinflint!

Actually, I paid less than I would have for a new copy.

I paid $45 in May 2009. Fallout 3 had been out for a while at that point, but it was still selling for $60 new and $55 used everywhere I looked. And this was for the regular, non-deluxe copies.

Then Amazon had a sale for this Limited Edition, knocking it below the regular edition's price. I decided to go for it and bought the lunchbox.

Even though my Vault Boy cannot stand up on his own, he's still cute.

I only bought two other Limited Edition games: Halo 2 and Mass Effect 2. I bought Halo 2 used at an insanely cheap price. For Mass Effect 2 I used a gift certificate.

I'm such a skinflint!

A lot of the pack in figures tend to be made by no name companies, which is a clear problem. Again I am going to refer to Halo Reach, where the statue is made by Macfarlane, who make fantastic products.

As with the mass majority of my games, I buy them used or pre-owned, save for a couple here and there. The cool thing about deluxe/limited/premium editions is they usually sell pre-owned for about the same cost as the normal copies, actually, I guess that isn't cool for the people that buy them new for their worth. I guess it kind of begs the question why is that?

Anyways, I get a lot of limited editions; albeit, in their used form. And when I say a lot, I mean like maybe 10 total and mostly PC games.

With digital copies, Ubisoft cutting manuals, DLC and other downloads becoming more and more prevalent I can't help but imagine what they will replace our cloth maps and posters with in our digital limited editions. Has there ever been a limited "digital" edition yet? I wonder who will try it first?