Sign in to follow this  
syntheticgerbil

Uncharted 2

Does anyone play this online? I'm not very good at all, but it's a lot of fun and besides dying a lot, it's very non-stressful.

Mostly all straightforward shooting but you can run treasure and do co-op missions as well. I like feeling the camaraderie with people I don't know.

I think it's possible to team up with people on your friends list and play against strangers online. If anyone is interested in playing, my PSN username is Syntheticgerbil.

Also I think I need to get a USB keyboard or something because typing with a controller to people while playing a game is nuts. I don't want to get a headset because then my girlfriend will call me a nerd (but in a loving way I'm sure!).

Does anyone play this online? I'm not very good at all, but it's a lot of fun and besides dying a lot, it's very non-stressful.

Mostly all straightforward shooting but you can run treasure and do co-op missions as well. I like feeling the camaraderie with people I don't know.

I think it's possible to team up with people on your friends list and play against strangers online. If anyone is interested in playing, my PSN username is Syntheticgerbil.

Also I think I need to get a USB keyboard or something because typing with a controller to people while playing a game is nuts. I don't want to get a headset because then my girlfriend will call me a nerd (but in a loving way I'm sure!).

I would like to play, but I get so much lag when I take my PS3 online that I try not to do so too often.

I had to do a bunch of crap with my router in order to get this particular game to work right because my connection kept getting dropped in the middle of a game.

I had to do a bunch of crap with my router in order to get this particular game to work right because my connection kept getting dropped in the middle of a game.

Maybe I need to do that as well...but I don't even know where to start. What kind of stuff are you talking about here?

I played it a lot the first couple weeks it was out but haven't played too much since then. It's a really fun online game though. I'd be down for some kind of idle thumbs forum night. Using the traversal mechanics to give yourself an advantage for a sneak attack really adds another layer to the combat.

Maybe I need to do that as well...but I don't even know where to start. What kind of stuff are you talking about here?

I had to open a few ports, assign a static IP to my PS3, and update the firmware on my router, and now the whole system appears to work much faster than ever before. I don't experience any lag on Uncharted 2 online either.

Maybe this will help you out, Groucho:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network/The-ULTIMATE-ultimate-guide-to-fixing-your-NAT/m-p/30803842

I used that guide but not everything went exactly as planned since I don't have a Linksys Router, but it seemed to have worked in the end either way.

I played it a lot the first couple weeks it was out but haven't played too much since then. It's a really fun online game though. I'd be down for some kind of idle thumbs forum night. Using the traversal mechanics to give yourself an advantage for a sneak attack really adds another layer to the combat.

The weird thing is, I noticed a few characters are better for being sneaky since some don't grunt or yell when jumping around the playing field, possibly helping not to tip off the person you are trying to sneak up on. Playing Chloe is sure to make you not sneak up on anyone. Sneak attacks also work if someone is really busy shooting at someone else with a machine gun though.

I just set my character to random though since I have no preference. If I were really serious I might pick the character who never talks and has the most drab dark clothing.

I played Uncharted 2 everyday for two months after it came out. And I'd love to get back into it with some people who ain't jerks.

My PSN username is p-sych

Gerbil, you're going to need a headset to be all that you can be, just tell your girlfriend that you're using it for day trading.

Actually, now that my ISP upped our speed...I seem to be doing pretty well and the multiplayer is a lot of fun. Should we set a specific time? Also...anybody got a link to something cheap that'll work as a ps3 headset?

Edit: Also Also: Do you guys who posted in this thread have Little Big Planet?

Also...anybody got a link to something cheap that'll work as a ps3 headset?

My friend got a PS2 SOCOM game really cheap that had a USB headset that works fine for him.

I might be up for this and/or LBP, depending. I've been missing a lot of Thumbs multiplayer stuff recently, though, and I feel guilty.

Gerbil, you're going to need a headset to be all that you can be, just tell your girlfriend that you're using it for day trading.

Maybe... maybe. I suppose I could at the least get a USB keyboard and stop typing with my controller.

I usually play erratically though, but I'm mostly available on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights for now until I get my living situation oriented.

I've been playing a whole bunch of this...Deathmatch, specifically. It's really really good. Thanks for reminding me it exists.

I finally got a new router about two weeks ago, so I can actually play Uncharted 2 online. I love it because it because it's so much different than my multiplayer standbys Halo and Call of Duty. If anybody wants to play sometime, just PM me.

Man, anybody playing with the Siege DLC?

I always feel out of my depth when I do coop with dudes with the DLC as they seem to be just that little bit better than the regular punters. I always have the fewest kills/die the most with them whereas I can often end up tops when I matchmake with non-DLC content people.

These two dudes carried my butt all the way through to stage 10 of a survival game earlier today (though we didn't manage to beat it). I think the best I've ever managed with non-DLC folk is 6 or 7.

I have the Siege pack but I've only messed with Survival mode a few times.

I pretty much suck at Survival mode for now, but it didn't seem impossible. I had a hard time just trying to figure out where the enemies were spawning on each map.

I had a hard time just trying to figure out where the enemies were spawning on each map.

Yeah that's the thing. Even more so than straight up deathmatch, survival forces you to unlearn the grab cover/stop and pop mentality of single player because not only do you have to be aware of being flanked by guys coming in from all directions (like deathmatch), but also spawns can show up from places where it's not possible for a player controlled character to reach.

Think you've got your back against a wall or a cliff face? Surprise, you just got ganked by a chokey ninja dude who dropped down/climbed up from some unreachable area.

While those types of spawns happen in coop objective mode too, in that mode, they're entirely predictable and it's much more like single player where they're always funneling you in one direction so you don't often have to worry about what's behind you.

IMO you really need to keep moving to do well in survival. Grabbing cover for any extended period of time leaves you too vulnerable to being flanked unless you have a team member dedicated to just covering your back. Which, while it might work, will never happen unless all three people are using voice chat. Personally, I don't have voice chat so that doesn't help me.

There are exceptions, of course. In the village map, the rooftop overlooking the main plaza with the 2 rocket launcher spawns is not bad for hunkering down for at least the first 5-6 stages. They will try flush you with grenades though and ammo can get scarce because ideally you want to be killing dudes on the ground while staying up on the roof.