Scratch

Battlethumbs: Idle Company

Maybe I'll try this multiplayer. I started playing the single-player, but I've never really played a Battlefield game before.

I didn't even know there was a singleplayer mode in the Battlefield games any more.

I didn't even know there was a singleplayer mode in the Battlefield games any more.

It's not really "any more," the big single-player campaign is pretty new to the series. It's just been part of the Bad Company games, and I didn't play the first one.

It's not really "any more," the big single-player campaign is pretty new to the series. It's just been part of the Bad Company games, and I didn't play the first one.

BF2 Modern Combat on the Xbox had a pretty well meaning Single player game.

The single player of BC2 is pretty solid though.

Oh, cool. For some reason I had the impression they had single player in BF1942 to appease "the suits" or something, and that they were really going for a multiplayer only thing. So there's a real campaign with some sort of storyline, and not just a bunch of bot skirmishes? That's pretty cool.

Sometimes the multi-player game 'feels' like your the only one playing on your 'team', so dedicated single player story might give you that sense of 'achievement' that we all crave.

Tonight I'll be using quote marks excessively.

Oh, cool. For some reason I had the impression they had single player in BF1942 to appease "the suits" or something, and that they were really going for a multiplayer only thing. So there's a real campaign with some sort of storyline, and not just a bunch of bot skirmishes? That's pretty cool.

I've played a few hours of the BC2 campaign so far, and yeah it's definitely a full-on, high-budget narrative campaign. It's interrupted MUCH too frequently by cutscenes for my taste, but generally speaking it seems pretty good. This level of destructibility in a single-player campaign also adds a lot.

I've played a few hours of the BC2 campaign so far, and yeah it's definitely a full-on, high-budget narrative campaign. It's interrupted MUCH too frequently by cutscenes for my taste, but generally speaking it seems pretty good. This level of destructibility in a single-player campaign also adds a lot.

Holy Maloney macaroni, this is mind-blowing. Have I bought an awesome single player game by accident? I'll have to check this out. This is what happens when you don't get a box, Steam!

This sounds so cool, I can't wait to get my greasy mitts on it. I have to admit that this is first game in a long, long while that I'm excited about playing, probably haven't felt this way since the original Gears of War.

I watched my to co-workers playing the Beta one lunch time, it looked kinda cool so I persuaded one of the guys to lend me his steam account. The Beta game play pushed my buttons straight away, but what really struck me was the sound design. So subtle and detailed, I love the engine note on the tanks, a really believable turbo diesel, details that I can identify with. But it's those quiet calm moments between all the mayhem that give me goose bumps, you can feel the tension, it takes me to that 'gaming' head space, immersed.

With luck I'll see my copy in the post tomorrow... :gaming:

I don't know if I'd call the single player "awesome", but it seems to be alright. One thing I've noticed is that instead of taking all movement away from the character when they want you to wait for an in-game scripting event, they just put a temporary blocking volume. It's strange, but more control feels more confining.

This sounds so cool, I can't wait to get my greasy mitts on it. I have to admit that this is first game in a long, long while that I'm excited about playing...:

Me too. Bring on tomorrow! Woot.

I don't know if I'd call the single player "awesome", but it seems to be alright. One thing I've noticed is that instead of taking all movement away from the character when they want you to wait for an in-game scripting event, they just put a temporary blocking volume. It's strange, but more control feels more confining.

I would, Far less linear than CoD, though not as open as Halo. Yes some of the enemy spawns are completely transparent, but it's damn fun. The environments are not only gorgeous but also really fun to play with.

Hmmm I'll have to play more of it then. It definitely isn't nearly as polished an experience as the CoD games though.

Also, Idle Company is possibly the best name for a clan ever.

Hmmm I'll have to play more of it then. It definitely isn't nearly as polished an experience as the CoD games though.

Also, Idle Company is possibly the best name for a clan ever.

Yeah, it's not as polished. Dice are used to making multiplayer games though, with a few exceptions, this is definately a good stab at it. CoD feels like a shooting gallery to me, with this the enemy locations are clearly scripted, but with the game being more open there are more options for the player. So say there is a building closer to the enemy I can go there, even if the door is closed. It's not that I don't like linear shooters, I do, Valve just does them better, making them feel more open than they actually are.

That said, when this game is run in 16:9 the widescreen cutscenes have a few lines of pixels below the lower black border. I should probably add I love the Battlefield series.

I got it installed and am ready to rock some things-that-require-rocking tonight! Does anyone know if they solved the connection thing yet? If not, is there an ETA of any kind?

Very patchy connection wise. You try loads of servers before you can get a game...well that's my experience.

It's GONNA BE GREAT when we get the Thumbs on board I can FEEL IT.

Still waiting for my disc to arrive, Play dot com are on my shit list!

I'll actually have to do some productive stuff this weekend which is great!:hmph:

I'm busy with my weekly attempt at having a life tonight, but I anticipate playing this and DoW2 for much of a muchness. And the weekend.

I'm busy with my weekly attempt at having a life tonight, but I anticipate playing this and DoW2 for much of a muchness. And the weekend.

:tup: yes, their will be much DoW2 this weekend!:tup:

I anticipate that DoW will win out this weekend due to the GODAWFUL mess that is Battlefield multiplayer at the moment.

yea. I kind of expected it. when was the last time a battlefield game had a smooth multiplayer launch?

It's easy enough to find games online now.

The trouble I'm having is connecting to the same games friends are in and vice-versa.

OMGOMG this was awesome. Even thought the server browsing and general UI is really crap, the game itself is super smooth and fun. Now the only thing missing is:

• Thumbs playing
  • The game not suddenly disconnecting