Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Open Outcast

Not for this project, but something else they might be doing? Also, it might prompt Atara (then Infogrames) or some remnant of Appeal to rethink doing something with Cutter Slade.

Cutter Slade is an awful name, though.

Not for this project, but something else they might be doing? Also, it might prompt Atara (then Infogrames) or some remnant of Appeal to rethink doing something with Cutter Slade.

Cutter Slade is an awful name, though.

There's plenty of awfully cheesy things about Outcast... Has anyone mentioned the alien device that "saves your essence", yet? In the alien's tongue it's known as the "Gaamsavv". Lol.

(Atara?)

Gaamsavv, ah, it took me THIRTEEN years to get that!! (Wait, no).

And I meant to write Atari, of course, which used to be Infogrames, inexplicably.

So I played it but the gameplay and plot is still kind of crappy. And Okasankaar, which was missing from the earlier demo, looks nice but it's just an island with the city in the background, no gameplay besides a few dialog lines.

I hope this really is meant as a tech demo, not an indicator of what the game is going to be like if they manage to finish it.

And that astoundingly imaginative alien language they used: "Here, take this device. It captures your essence. We call it the Gaamsav." *thud*

Hey, you weren't there. At the time, that was pretty funny.

In the same vein, anyone remember the Logic Factory's last game, The Tone Rebellion (which was awesome btw)? Every other word in that game was 'tone'. Tone this, tone that. You harvest tone, and contruct tone stuffs. Quite astoneishing.

@ Errki: I'm afraid the writing isn't going to magically improve itself. I'm sure these guys are capable modders and such, but it takes a different skill to write something worthwhile. As for new areas, that might be added later on. Who knows?

I'm afraid the writing isn't going to magically improve itself. I'm sure these guys are capable modders and such, but it takes a different skill to write something worthwhile. As for new areas, that might be added later on. Who knows?

Yeah, that is what I'm afraid of -- it'll look like Outcast, even sound like Outcast, and somewhat play like Outcast, but it'll have these stupid plots and writing where every third line makes a wink towards the original game.

About the other areas, that was not my concern, just that I was expecting more gameplay there and was disappointed to not see any.

Hey, you weren't there. At the time, that was pretty funny.

Yes I was... I still have an original boxed copy of Outcast from when it was first released :-P The reason I know that little anecdote was from a review at the time of its release that criticised its cheesy script (I personally didn't notice it as I didn't play with subtitles on).

(Sorry ;-P)