SignorSuperdouche

Open Pandora finally here?

After two years of being "only two months away" it looks like the Pandora might actually materialise. The development is pretty much done and mass production should start very soon.

I don't know how much interest there is in the Pandora here, but I think it's pretty cool that a small bunch of disparate enthusiasts can come together and actually produce something like this - even if it has been disaster after disaster.

Considering it's linux powered, and Windows doesn't run on ARM, I doubt you'd install Steam on it.

It looks like a cool thing. I don't really have the money for a purchase like that though. I imagine with the independent nature of it, they'll only make a couple of batches.

So, how does it work? Would you install Steam on it or would it require games to be developed for it specifically?

See it as a console, but open source. Meaning that anyone with the tools can get crackin' on making games or other content for it.

I'd love to get my hands on one, but it's a bit too costly for me, at the moment. I really do hope that the thing takes off for them.

Hmm... when the "Pandora for End Users" page starts with

You don't need to be a developer to use the Pandora.

I am suddenly doubtful of how much they focus on usability.

Any info about the games? Or is it assumed that people will just install semi-legal(?) emulators on it.

I've read the website and I'm still confused... What IS it? An OS for emulators?

Still, I like the idea of a bunch of people coming together to make a product. That is a cool and deserves one of these: :tup:

It runs linux. It can do whatever a linux system with those specs can. You could use it as a netbook or play Quake 3 with it.

I am suddenly doubtful of how much they focus on usability.

The analogue nubs, dpad etc should be great but as for the software ... well there is a simplified user interface for people who don't want to run a full linux desktop (it boots much faster for one thing) but we'll have to wait and see how good it is. I'm fairly certain this will be a geeks only affair.

Still, as a super teeny tiny laptop I think it's pretty nifty and the fact that it was made by some dudes on a forum makes it super fucking cool in my eyes :tup:

If the first batch of users don't have any major issues I'm probably going to grab one from the second batch. I don't have a PMP so that aspect adds to the value for me too, but as the only person on the planet without an iPhone I'm probably alone on that one.

Yeah, I may have been overly negative before. It definitely seems cool and I might even want one some day. Maybe the games will come someday (besides the ones you can already run on linux).