GameDreamer

Demon's Souls

Yeah, sounds like it would be most enjoyable to just play the game in a straightforward way and ignore all that World Tendency stuff. I am really enjoying all the messages and ghosts and stuff and I would hate to have to turn that off and jump through all those hoops.

I'll also keep an eye out for those lizards. I don't recall noticing any of them yet but now that I know they are important I'll keep an eye out.

Well, I ended up beating this last week and really enjoyed it!

After my last post here I put a whole bunch of time in and methodically made my way through each area while taking a few breaks here and there to grind out levels and upgrade weapons. Getting the lava bow was a godsend and things got much more manageable with that weapon by my side. Additionally, I picked up the Uchigatana and got it upgraded to Quality 4 which resulted in crazy amounts of damage since I was balancing my Strength and Dexterity stats. So between that and the lava bow I was able to handle pretty much everything that the game threw at me without much issue.

I still died a ton and had to resort to some cheap tricks here and there (notably on the 3-2 boss, one on one those guys are cake but when they are both out they just both pursued me relentlessly every time), but it wasn't so bad and I finally started to learn how to play most effectively with my specific build, focusing on blocking and backing up rather than trying to parry or roll around an enemy. Learning all of the different enemies and how they attack and what their weaknesses were was my favorite part of this game. I loved the sensation of struggling to get through an area and then once you have it figured out, running back through and steamrolling everyone with your newly refined skills.

Immediately after finishing the game I started new game plus and beat 1-1 again. I've put it down at this point and probably won't pick it up again unless someone wants to run co-op in new game plus or if I get through my other games and feel like putting some more time in. I'll definitely be moving on to Dark Souls in the near future. These games rock.

So with the servers for this shutting down at the end of February, I thought I would finally give this a go. I've played a bit of Bloodborne but otherwise am a Souls newbie. Unfortunately it seems the North American servers are, though technically still up, in a shit state and the server desync causes these really terrible audio issues along with issues saving/loading. From what I've read on reddit, this has been the state of things for about a year now. So sadly it seems like I'm forced to play in offline mode anyway...

So far I've just made it through the first area. I see that referred to as 1-1 online, but is that indicated in the game anywhere? Which is 2-1? Does it even matter? I started as a Royal since it seems to be considered the best newbie class. My brain really wants me to look up best builds/weapons but I'm trying to avoid that. I'm planning on ignoring all the world tendency stuff though.

I toyed around a bit with what I assume is 2-1 (the archstone right next to 1-1) and got wrecked a few times in a row by this fat laughing guy that shoots fire balls. I'll try and keep posting here as a go, partly to motivate myself to keep at it...I can have a hard time sticking with games that are all dark and gloomy (and hard) even if I enjoy them.

I forget where the numbers come from, but you've got it right. There are 5 worlds, each with their associated Nexus archstone, and then the worlds are divided into 4 or 5 consecutive sections by boss battles. I think there's an arbitrary force field in world 1 that keeps you from progressing until you've beat a certain number of other bosses, but otherwise you can pick and choose where to go next. I'd echo the general Souls advice of going on the path of least resistance. If 2-1's a pain, try 1-2 or 3-1 and see how they go.

Royal is considered to be a good newbie class because magic is pretty good against early enemies, and they start at level 1, allowing a bit more customization when you start statting up.

I ended up poking around in both 1-2 and 3-1 (those cthulhu lookin' guards....ugh) for a bit...I didn't go all the way through them but they netted me enough souls/upgrades and general practice to go back to 2-1 and get through without too much difficulty. Both bosses so far have be surprisingly easy. I'd say I'm feeling more comfortable with things in general at this point aside from maybe the fact that I'm (probably unreasonably) hesitant to upgrade weapons because I have this feeling I'll find something better and have wasted my upgrade materials. That and I wish the game weren't quite so dark...

With one notable exception (Flamelurker), I found the bosses to be easy, too. I wouldn't worry about upgrade materials much. The lower-end versions of hardstone and sharpstone can be farmed if really necessary, and that's probably all you're going to need if you're not going for some specific build.

On 1/16/2018 at 12:46 PM, Professor Video Games said:

I ended up poking around in both 1-2 and 3-1 (those cthulhu lookin' guards....ugh) for a bit...I didn't go all the way through them but they netted me enough souls/upgrades and general practice to go back to 2-1 and get through without too much difficulty. Both bosses so far have be surprisingly easy. I'd say I'm feeling more comfortable with things in general at this point aside from maybe the fact that I'm (probably unreasonably) hesitant to upgrade weapons because I have this feeling I'll find something better and have wasted my upgrade materials. That and I wish the game weren't quite so dark...

FWIW 3-1 (and much of 3 in general) is possibly my favorite horror environment in any game ever.  It's so oppressive and terrifying in the best ways on a first time through. 

On 1/17/2018 at 12:05 PM, Korax said:

The lower-end versions of hardstone and sharpstone can be farmed if really necessary, and that's probably all you're going to need if you're not going for some specific build.

Good to know. I will then bump up my rapier some more and continue to poke things to death from behind my shield.

2 hours ago, Bjorn said:

FWIW 3-1 (and much of 3 in general) is possibly my favorite horror environment in any game ever.  It's so oppressive and terrifying in the best ways on a first time through. 

The way those guards scuttle towards you once you've been zapped is fuckin creepy as hell.