Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

Lost Planet 2

HtsRiB3q-6w

So, having not really played the original game beyond the demo on Xbox 360, Marek posted the above Lost Planet 2 gameplay video on Twitter recently and piqued my interest. And I think it's looking really promising.

I like the sense that it's going to be something of a cross between Gears of War and Monster Hunter. I also like that the weapons don't seem over-powered, so I imagine this'll reinforce the necessity for co-operative play.

Any other Thumbs interested?

I am very interested in this game, and while it's not appearing to be as skill/item/timing based as Monster Hunter, the general idea of a highly customizable, pile o' weapons co-operative third-person game is very evocative of that series. While playing the first LP I kept thinking that, while it had a lot of neat ideas, it felt like a very rough first try and I would be looking forward to a sequel. Here we are, and it's looking very nice.

Oh, and it's got a grappling hook. I'm game.

Yeah, I saw videos of the first Lost Planet and got ridiculously excited, then I played the first level and...

I don't know, it never grabbed me for some reason. I have no doubt Lost Planet 2 will rock for those who liked the first game. It looks like they're bringing a lot of stuff forward without breaking the core ideas of the game.

And I guess after RE:5 Capcom aren't afraid to rock it with the co-op. Was there co-op in the first game? I don't remember.

I loved the first Lost Planet and am eagerly awaiting this sequel (I actually got to sample the demo at Comic-Con). Every problem I had before seems to be fixed, though I can't be sure the online will work any better this time around...

Also, no. There wasn't any co-op in the first one...while this one seems to be following a group of people the first installment really focused on one guy and his wacky cast of characters...

I enjoyed the first one, but this one seems too dependent on co-op. I like to play things by myself the first time around so that I can experience the story without having to deal with another idiot running around and screwing things up. The AI for the extra characters in the demo was terrible. They did nothing but die and leave me to kill the salamander thing by myself.

I like to play things by myself the first time around so that I can experience the story without having to deal with another idiot running around and screwing things up.

Oh agreed, but it's why I'm trying to gauge Thumb interest in advance; everyone I've played with online from Thumbs has been excellent fun.

I'm interested, I'd say. I love a good co-op, and playing with Thumbs has uniformly been an utter pleasure. I'd plough through some campaign with you if and when I end up grabbing the game, Pete.

The first one didn't really do much for me, and to be honest the co-op demo released some months ago didn't seem like much of an improvement. It looks nice enough and grappling hooks are always cool, but the core gameplay always seemed to lack substance and finesse. If it gets rave reviews I'll consider giving it a chance I guess.