Jake

Idle Thumbs 42: The Dreamcast

Well, I bought Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road today, despite already owning a whole chunk of Beatles, so I guess I'm even more susceptible to buying the shiny new version of something than I thought. Also, got a Gretsch Rock Band guitar. So pretty. I loves me some Harrison something fierce. I'd kill for one of those McCartney mandolin-bass peripherals, but it seems they're only in the crazy $250 bundle. I even saw him play that thing live, and the second I had a chance to buy a RB replica, it would be done.
That really sucks that the McCartney bass is only in the bundle, I didn't realize that. If I would buy any of the peripherals, it would be that one, but I guess not anymore. I still think the guitars are ridiculously priced by themselves.

Well, I've been using one of the pack in Xplorer guitars from the 360 release of GHII for a while now, as my original Rock Band guitar broke on me. I'd had a chance to use a RB2 guitar a few times, and coveted it very much. Decided on my last shift at HMV that as we were receiving the Harrison and Lennon guitars, I'd finally get one. Man, even between the RB1 guitar and this one, it's like night and day. Such a nice piece of tech. As far as I know, it's just a different shell on the RB2 guitar, but that's all I wanted anyway.

Oh shit, it got read this week? Awesome! I'm still catching up at the moment, as school started up this week and I'm buried in readings to do. Can't wait to get to this one now. Even moreso, as I was already feeling like something was amiss without having had the time to listen to the thumb this week.

Oddly enough I had a Dreamcast related game last night!

I dreamed that the big fat bag guy from Shenmue II was chasing me! :blink:

The bird noises are incredible and a little unsettling. I just imagined this crazy cult following nick/jake/chris around repeating their noises, sorta like the gulls in Finding Nemo that go 'mine mine mine'.

Great episode and totally didn't feel overblown with having (effectively) four shows this week. The others were bite size. ;)

Anyway, I loved the discussion about the Beatles and thought I'd just throw my two cents in there about the mono vs. stereo aspect of the Beatles catalog. Chris mentioned how Sgt. Pepper's was a simple stereo mix (vocals on right, guitar on left, etc.), but the Beatles themselves had nothing to do with the stereo mixing, only the mono mixing. Many fans will argue that the true mixes are the mono mixes, which is a big reason the recently released box set in mono costs more than the stereo box set . . . it's more for collectors and they'll pay whatever Apple asks of them.

Moving on.

Mono is always cool because you can hear something closer to what it would have sounded like being in the room as the recording took place. I want to be buried with my mono first-pressing of Francoise Hardy's debut!

Finally got around to listening to last week's cast. Damn, I'm glad you guys liked my dream so much. Unfortunately, never did get to meet Allard though.