Sign in to follow this  
elmuerte

Best game credit roll/sequence

I couldn't find a video for this one, but the credits for Meteos on the DS were pretty interesting, because it involved playing more Meteos - which everyone can agree is a pretty good thing.

In a way it was kind of essential you played through the Meteos credits as until you unlock planet Meteos, it was the only way to earn dark and glow Meteos. I think planet Meteos required you to have 500 of each before as well.

I cannot make new threads yet, so I'll leave this here. In addition to best endings I'd like to see what are everyone's favorite starts/intros for a game?

Offtopic: Best Installer: C&C 1

Best First 15 Minutes: Half-Life 1

This was such a revolutionary intro for an action game. You started on a normal day for your protagonist doing normal things. When the action started your lab went from a comfortable, fun environment to one of the most horrifying and tense experiences. Every corner became an event and not only did you have no idea what to expect, but the enemies had interesting and varied senses.

How many people remember that the bullsquids could only sense sound? (tossing objects could distract them and standing still made you 'invisible').

It was right up until the drop down into the sewer pipe that the introduction magic ended for me and it became a normal (if excellent) shooter. The events were so tight, well scripted and shocking it remains my favorite introduction to this day.

Oh damn, can Full Throttle take the cake for best intro as well? I really can't think of a better one.

Maybe Grim Fandango? I prefer that game overall, but Full Throttle starts so perfect in terms of set-up and explaining the world without some lengthy exhibition and backstory (Why didn't you pay attention Ragnar Tornquist?!). Then right off the heels of such a strong intro you are telling this jerk bartender what might look better on his nose.

Come to think of it, I enjoyed the beginning credit sequence to Day of the Tentacle as well. So almost every game Tim Schafer was involved with?

Actually all of the Oddworld games started off very strong with little backstory and tons of characterization, I think every single one of their intro movies made it into the following year's SIGGRAPH. If I recall correctly, Abe's Oddysee's intro appeared on MTV's Liquid Television as well.

Beyond Good and Evil works really well by letting you play the intro...

Gosh I could just go on forever, so I'll stop.

One thing is for certain though, the strongest game endings generally don't match the best intros.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

One thing is for certain though, the strongest game endings generally don't match the best intros.

Far too true. HL1 while having the greatest intro, had one of the worst endings. It wasn't so much Xen and the complete change in context (Thief 1 had the same issue.. Zombies? WTF), but you could -feel- the developer exhaustion in latter levels. The scripted events were gone and that fantastic pacing was gone. I remember the exterior portion being highly disappointing as it just didn't feel organized or intense.

I noticed they fixed travel pacing in the HL2 expansions with any long travel requiring combat (ship vs Helicopter, for example) to keep you involved and moving forward.

Intro credit sequence in the Fate of Atlantis left a big impression on me...

Although now that I think about it, Larry 3 did the same trick and came out much earlier.

I cannot make new threads yet, so I'll leave this here. In addition to best endings I'd like to see what are everyone's favorite starts/intros for a game?

Offtopic: Best Installer: C&C 1

I specifically chose credit sequences because intros (just like endings) have been done quite a lot.

As for best installers... yes C&C1. I actually do not know a single other game that made the installer an "experience"/part of the game.

This isn't a serious suggestion, because I don't think it works so well, but I completed Prince of Persia (2008) last night - and they tried something interesting with the end credits.

I'll spoiler-tag it, just in case.

After the final boss battle, and Elika gives up her life to save the world, you're left in the temple, holding her body, with the credits rolling on the left side of the screen. At first, I was quite moved, thinking it was the most downbeat/unconventional ending to an adventure game I've played - walking (slowly) through the temple, minor-key medley of themes playing, having beaten the bad guy, but lost the girl. I was trying to think how they'd continue it, would you walk out of the valley, back into the normal world, with this mournful atmosphere pervading everything?

No, you exit the temple, which cuts off the credits mid-flow, and has a short cut-scene, laying her body on the funeral slab out front - and the camera zooms across the open world to the 4 (regenerated) trees, which are keeping the evil god captive (and are powered by the light energy previously keeping Elika alive).

Nice one, guys, a wonderfully occluded ending has just been replaced by a manipulative, one-dimensional conclusion. At the end of the cut-scene, the Prince looks from Elika, to the trees, to Elika, and then slams his hands on the concrete in a committed manner. So you go, chop the trees, harness the light energy, give it back to Elika, and you walk off as the Temple crumbles, and the god goes free. Cut to the real credits, and various 'hey, you finished the game!' achievements (one being the crass 'to be continued..?').

Again, still relatively unconventional (and sequel-baiting), but quite a damp squib in comparison.

There are videos out there, but most cut it up/edit the footage, so the slow, morbid drudgery of it isn't communicated well.

Disappointment.

I could leave the battle room until the credits were finished. Or at least, the door didn't open. So I watched all the credits, and then though.... well... now what!? and then the door would open. So, that was just was screwed up

Fat Princess has a credit sequence which in true murder simulator form has the player kill representations of every person who worked on the game. All to the tune of Baby Got Back.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywzF8mD6f4U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywzF8mD6f4U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's more than a regular text crawl, but you're so overpowered during the sequence that it's not too much fun to play.

Edited by Psych
didn't use youtube tags in initial post

The credits from the first Phoenix Wright game on DS have a "where-are-they-now" documentary-style wrap-up (too many hyphens!!!) in which all the characters are shown in talking head clips where they say what they think about Phoenix Wright and other relevant things. I thought that was pretty cool. It turns out it's a fake ending...it goes "HOLD IT!" and there's one more chapter.

It turns out it's a fake ending...it goes "HOLD IT!" and there's one more chapter.

I guess that's the DS only added-on chapter.