bistromathics

Idle Thumbs 33: Where's the Goddamn Thread?

I just got to the last level of Trine, and it's every bit as awful as chris said it is :( I'm not sure if i want to finish it now, or to just give up here.

I just got to the last level of Trine, and it's every bit as awful as chris said it is :( I'm not sure if i want to finish it now, or to just give up here.

I would recommend to finish it -- the level is actually really short, it took me maybe 15-25 minutes to get through it (with 20 or so attempts). There's one checkpoint in that level too, but the trickiest part is just before that checkpoint.

I loved, loved, loved the "digression" on Civilization IV. I thought I was the only one who got surprise ambushed by Civ4 every few months :) You guys covered a few issues that I've had with the game too...playing on noble and not winning, mulliganing the initial draw, being in the middle of the pack, kissing up to the dominant power, resisting the temptation (or not) to save-reload, and why the game is more "historically plausible" than Empire:Total War.

cheers!

I agree with retiring the trumpet bird thing, by the way.

Of all the non deliberate injokes this is the least deliberate. I don't think it's conscious at this point. Well, it probably is now after last episode, but it was a weird invisible specter of the podcast for a while. Another similar thing: Chris recently observed that I said "letters from you, the readers," basically every single time Reader Mail started. It wasn't deliberate, I'm just lame. I think, unfortunately for all, the same thing goes for Nick and I and the baboo.

Chris recently observed that I said "letters from you, the readers," basically every single time Reader Mail started.

But I like that part. It has the kind stability of Mr. Rogers!

Plus if you don't continually acknowledge the absurdity of calling mail sent to a podcast "reader mail", eventually you're going to start getting emails from people trying to correct your terminology, as if you didn't already know it.

Hah, well you still have the option of reading old Idlethumbs articles if you want.

Maybe in a few weeks I'll ask a question about an article one of the guys wrote in 2004.

Plus if you don't continually acknowledge the absurdity of calling mail sent to a podcast "reader mail", eventually you're going to start getting emails from people trying to correct your terminology, as if you didn't already know it.

Hopefully in the relatively near future we can start referring to our audience as "readers" with slightly more veracity

Hopefully in the relatively near future we can start referring to our audience as "readers" with slightly more veracity

Chris, you're twitleaking here !

I was just listening to the new Dream Theater album and the song Stargazer has the word "WIZARD" within about the first 30 seconds. I was wondering if you guys would be devoting an entire podcast to how awesome this song is next week. Its actually a really good song about a wizard climbing to the top of the world, but the end really pisses me off. :shifty:

All kidding aside, this episode was top notch.