Salka

How do TVs work?

Hate typing forum posts on my phone ...

Anyway I'm catsitting for someone while they're on holiday. Was trying to watch TV and then an awesome thunderstorm started. As one particularly loud crash of thunder occurred, however, the digibox went off.

Everything is plugged into a surge protector and nothing else seems affected. But the light on the digibox won't go on now, except for half a second if I unplug it and then plug it back in. Is it normal for the light to remain off if the cable somewhere has been lightning'd? Will it work again if the cable is fixed? I don't even know how cable works, doesn't it go below ground? I don't m ow what I'm talking about as I do not have a tv, it took me 6 fucking hours trying to figure out how to make the picture be shown in colour instead of black and white... The digi box is a goodmans if that helps. And I don't know what the cable provider is. Is that what you call them, cable providers? Anyway.

hm, sounds like the surge protector didn't entirely work, and a power surge has wiped the box's memory.

That's my guess anyway.

Hate typing forum posts on my phone ...

Anyway I'm catsitting for someone while they're on holiday. Was trying to watch TV and then an awesome thunderstorm started. As one particularly loud crash of thunder occurred, however, the digibox went off.

Everything is plugged into a surge protector and nothing else seems affected. But the light on the digibox won't go on now, except for half a second if I unplug it and then plug it back in. Is it normal for the light to remain off if the cable somewhere has been lightning'd? Will it work again if the cable is fixed? I don't even know how cable works, doesn't it go below ground? I don't m ow what I'm talking about as I do not have a tv, it took me 6 fucking hours trying to figure out how to make the picture be shown in colour instead of black and white... The digi box is a goodmans if that helps. And I don't know what the cable provider is. Is that what you call them, cable providers? Anyway.

Man, you are SO screwed. If I were them, I'd be sooo mad with you...

(Now, where's Ossk to come in and tell you how to fix it?)

You're having trouble getting power to the box at all? It just turns on for half a second then goes off again? If so, I'd say it's nothing to do with the service provider, it's something that could have happened to any appliance.

I'd try the basics: plug it into a different socket, that you know is working/plug something else into that socket to check the socket's circuit isn't gone somehow. If it's not the socket, then perhaps it's worth changing the fuse in the plug. If that doesn't help get power to it, then it's something more majorly wrong with the box itself and I guess you would need to call the cable providers and ask for advice (they may have to send someone round).

Have I got the wrong end of the stick? Does this sound like sound advice to everyone else? Is it too late for this now?

If it doesn't start properly, even from a cold boot (i.e. having it unplugged for a while), then it's fried. If it starts, but doesn't do anything, then either its memory is corrupted, or there's an issue in the connectors.

With "start properly" I mean that it powers up, and stays on.

I wouldn't shit it. There's not much you could have done to protect it than just not watch during the thunderstorm, and the surge protector should have saved it anyway.

A surge protector won't always protect everything in a house, the inside of the box contains a ton of resistors that are supposed to hold very small electric tensions from overwhelming parts of the circuit they might enter in. What happens when you replace small by HUGE charges ? Well resistors blow the fuck up. So the LED (the light in front) gets the tension at the first runthrough (you know that circuits are loops in which electricity circulates) but then it's stopped at the fried resistor.

Two solutions :

-Have the digibox replaced (if of course no logical solution works ie trying another plug, trying another cable if available but the symptoms don't seem to indicate that it'll work). It might mean telling the people's insurance that you have a surge protector and that it did not stop the lightning, should provide enough good will for them to give the money if they have some sort of universal house-accidents insurance

-Open the Digibox with a screwdriver, check the content, post a photo on the forums and we'll tell you what to do if anything can be done.

I wouldn't shit it. There's not much you could have done to protect it than just not watch during the thunderstorm, and the surge protector should have saved it anyway.

Which is, if he/she/they are assholes what they'll tell her everybody knows: you don't watch TV during a thunderstorm especially when it's very close. Rusalka you must've been scared shitless when the lightning struck the house that's so loud...

"That game scared me so fucking much I peed in the cat's pyjamas" -IGN.com

Also it can just be overloaded with static electricity, you then try to unplug it and put your finger on the electric pin just out the box (no pun intended).

Fun thing you should do after trying the basics is call the provider and tell them it fired and see their reaction, if they go "yeaaaaah ok like everybody else" they'll probably already have a replacement program going on.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick? Does this sound like sound advice to everyone else? Is it too late for this now?

It does, basic tryouts help clarify the symptoms.

(Now, where's Ossk to come in and tell you how to fix it?)

:kiss:

hm, sounds like the surge protector didn't entirely work, and a power surge has wiped the box's memory.

Mermoryless Digiboxes often boot and connect to their server to put their firmware back up again.

everybody knows: you don't watch TV during a thunderstorm especially when it's very close

Why would it matter whether she was watching TV?

Why would it matter whether she was watching TV?

If an appliance is using power when the lightning strikes it's more likely to blow the fuck up to a huge degree.

If an appliance is using power when the lightning strikes it's more likely to blow the fuck up to a huge degree.

Really? Does that even make sense? Unless we're talking about physical relays being open (which wouldn't be the case in an (I assume) standby-only box like that) all the paths and components are just as much there for the frying.

Really? Does that even make sense? Unless we're talking about physical relays being open (which wouldn't be the case in an (I assume) standby-only box like that) all the paths and components are just as much there for the frying.

The concept of interrupter rings any bell friend ? :P

If it's on, it already has current flowing through it ^.^

Are you talking about an AFCI or fuses or what?

I dunno, when an appliance like a lamp is off it's just not connected to the circuit anymore is it ?

Yes, but:

1. The voltage can be so high it just arcs right over.
  2. A lot of modern electronics don't actually break the power circuit, but just enters a power-consuming standby mode.

I think I might be misunderstanding you.

The sensible advice that I've never followed was always to unplug everything in cases of thunder storms, presumably to account for standby and leaping-jack-flashoflightning, and so on.

Yufster? Are you there? You didn't try to fix it by getting it struck by lightning again, did you?

YufSTERRRRRR?!!!

Well fuckers, I read a website about how to avoid getting ELECTROCUTED during thunderstorms and it said something like, KEEP WATCHING TV! Stay indoors and watch TV, don't unplug the TV because you might die. Something like that anyway.

Elmuerte, it doesn't start properly. Power flashes on for a second but then goes off. Anything can be done about corrupted memory?

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Might try hacking the box apart later. Will prepare a "welcome home" speech for Katie later...

I've heard numerous times throughout my life that using any kind of wired electricals during lightning is dangerous, although I'm enough of a twat to still do it.

Having quickly done some searching, there're many reports of lightning having travelled through TV cable wires after hitting the box and destroying anything connected to it. In fact, one bloke apparently had his bed set on fire because of it!

I wouldn't imagine it being turned on or off actually makes a difference though when it comes to direct strikes like that — you'd need to physically unplug your appliances to prevent damage because lightning is surely powerful enough to jump right through a small circuit break.

There was actually an episode of MythBusters I saw a few years ago where they testing something like this, except it was a phone wire and not electric. They established that you can indeed be electrocuted (as in, to death) via one if you happen to be connected to it.

So if you want to protect your life, don't be physically connected to an appliance. If you want to protect your appliance, physically disconnect them. :yep:

Remember: Next-game gaming is safe.

Next-game gaming!? ffs.. I haven't even finished the previous-game.

"This game defines next-game gaming" - ign.com

Everyone nows knext-gen controllers are wireless, and therefore safe to use during lightning strikes in your house.