vimes

Favorite Kid's Book

No, no no. I think it was an American illustrator. Not sure, though.

Richard Scarry. He wrote a ton of stuff.

Ohohoh, I also forgot :

The Three Robbers

tomi+ungerer+les+trois+brigands.jpg

and, of course, the jewel of kid's book, THe Jolly postman

jolly-postman-cover.jpg

which had real letters, postcards and all kinds of shit inside.

And, of course, the jewel of kid's book, THe Jolly postman

jolly-postman-cover.jpg

Ha, that's another one I read to my kids, too!

Ahhh, The Three Bandits. That one I read. But my favouritest books when I was 10-13 have to be a selection of the choose your own adventure books, translated in Dutch. Most notably City of Thieves (Het Roversnest) and Citadel of Chaos (De Burcht Chaos).

I adored those books, kept borrowing them from the library, until they went up for sale and I bought them. I love their old smell (those books were old, even then) and the beautiful illustration of abandoned places and creepy monsters. Couple years back all those old Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone books got rereleased and I bought a lot of them from the first run, including the golden oldies (not so much the ones further in the series). I think the best one, technically speaking, has to be Creature of Havoc. That one does some amazing things with the format, really pushing its boundaries with interesting puzzles and mysteries.

That's it! I had a couple of books with really big pages. Good stuff.

Looking him up, I'm now reminded that the worm drove a car that was a giant apple.

jolly-postman-cover.jpg

That was so good! I remember playing with the magnifying glass and staring at the map for hours. It had a Yellow Brick Road with sparkles glued on, fuck yeah!

Anyone else for Burglar Bill? How about the Funny Bones?

Oh HELL yes I still have my copy of Funny Bones from when I was a kid (I'm 23) and I plan on reading it to my kids some day, along with Le Petit Prince for french practice.

Le petit Prince was sweet, never understood what the workship was about but still a very nice book.

Also, St Exupery invented child bullshitting.

Ah les trois brigands...

Has anybody seen the movie ?

kqD4mmP4WHs

Holy fucking shit! That looks AWESOME!!!

Oh fuck! I had a book by that guy, it was awesome! I have this really vivid memory of a gorilla (or something similar) wearing 20 or so watches on his arms.

Man, I haven't thought about that book in about 2 decades.

Les Trois Brigands is actually a German movie (Die drei Räuber), which is weird to me, but whatever - I really wanna see it.

More info:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448150/

also

a little feedback/review on the three robbers movie

I rented the DVD and it's not so awesome even though it's pretty super... Yeah I'm not making sense but, to my defense, neither did the movie !

Here's a little reportage from my parent's appartment, in my old bedroom, here are the treasure I found. Half of the library is our kid's book (the most recent are my little sisters, the older ones are my mother's (there was some Jo Zette et Jocko happening in there))

DSC07023.jpg

This is a library

DSC07026.jpg

This is a close-up on the small children's book case, including a broken mechanical singing bird cage like the one you saw in "Le roi et l'oiseau" and belonged to my grandmother.

DSC07027.jpg

That's not the Three cosmonauts which I did not managed to find but another of Umberto Eco's kid's book, which is (I read it again) fucking awesome. If you're interested in it and can't manage to find it because it's not edited anymore or not translated, it might be scanned and translated to the internet.

DSC07029.jpg

This is an illustration of the above book, the text to the right (which is unreadable) says

«The world os full of atoms

Everything is made of atoms ;

atomes are very small and they get together

to form molecules who,

themselves compose

everything that we know.

Mommies are made of atoms

Bread is made of atoms

...(I left it at their place and can't seem to decipher my photo)

DSC07028.jpg

William Steig died in 2003, it's therefore not useful anymore to buy his books full price but the stories are still beautiful and the illustration very light and clean, the nail story which I also have is awesome, I advise everyone to read it !

By the way, you do know William Steig, if not for his books, you might learn here that he is the author of a certain book named Shrek who got adapted to the movies.

DSC07032.jpg

You should know that one...

DSC07033.jpg

This one is never going back up there, I love that guy.

DSC07036.jpg

One of the many unfoldable books

DSC07041.jpg

For some of you, these might ring a bell

DSC07042.jpg

Is that le magicien des couleurs ? Yes it is, how beautiful is it ? It's pretty incredible. I'm not sorry I ordered it, my mom would never give it to me so I'll have a copy of it.

Jean de la lune is also very good, from a certain Tomi Ungerer you might have heard about.

Tu ne dors pas petit ours is pretty sweet, "I brought you the moon said great bear, I brought you the moon and thousands of stars"

DSC07043.jpg

James Stevenson is not dead on the other end but will probably not last very long, you should definitely buy his books because they are just hilarious !

The wolf of Christmas (from Michel Gay... poor guy) is neat...

As you can see, I had a fucking to of them but I just made a few photographs and a post that no one will probably read because it's fucking too long but thanks anyways to you Lady Y et merci aussi Vimes for creating both threads that probably populated my dreams for the year to come.

also, some of these books would make sweet video games !

Does the DVD have english subtitles by any chance?

It did not, I was pretty smashed by the fact that the menu from this DVD I rented had only button : play movie.

On the other hand, it doesn't have much speaking and the dialogues are not really a seller.

I have this really vivid memory of a gorilla (or something similar) wearing 20 or so watches on his arms.

That's right! I'd completely forgotten about that guy. Why did he have so many watches? Was he a bit of a dodgy dealer, or was he just really paranoid about them winding down? Or is it modern forearm armour?

I'm probably asking questions I shouldn't bother with.

Oh, and I'm almost certain he was a gorilla.

That's a pretty awesome Cok indeed.

"awesome cok" hehe.

Jean de la Lune! I had that one in Dutch as well, Het Mannetje van de Maan! Gotta find that again. Great to see those books again!