80's Bad Guy

Boycott Left 4 Dead 2!

One of the game was 3 years old, and all other 4 parts were not "full" games (and 1 part of that was a year old). Not saying it's not a nice deal, but it's not 5 games for the price of one.

Errr... It IS "five games for the price of one", it's NOT "five FULL PRICE NEW games for the price of one".

I'm very disappointed in you Elmuerte.

Unbeleivable.

woop woop entitled gamers coming through!

:gaming: : Hey Valve you made a great game and we all love playing it! It's a little barebones though!

:yep: : Aw thanks guys we have lots of ideas, we're gonna give you lots more content!

:gaming: : Lay it on us baby!

:mock: : Well actually we have so many ideas that we're just gonna release a sequel a year later!

:gaming: : WHAT THE CHRIST WHY ARE YOU ABANDONING US YOU LIARS

:eek: : No wait we're still supporting the first game we just-

:gaming: : SHUT UP FIDDLE MUSIC IS CRAP AND I HATE SUNLIGHT IT BURNSSSS

Valve has given you Half-Life, Counterstrike, Team Fortress, Portal AND Left 4 Dead (with sequels and mod/community support like CRAZY) and at the first sign of trouble you flip out and start a shitty, poorly constructed, ONLINE BOYCOTT PETITION?

FUCK you "gamers", you pathetic little children, you fucking spoiled jerks.

okay it's a bad strawman but COME ON, this stuff makes me embarassed to say I play games

Errr... It IS "five games for the price of one", it's NOT "five FULL PRICE NEW games for the price of one".

Oh... in that case

G = game

G = 5G

1 = 5

hooray the universe collapses

Valve has given you Half-Life, Counterstrike, Team Fortress, Portal AND Left 4 Dead (with sequels and mod/community support like CRAZY) and at the first sign of trouble you flip out and start a shitty, poorly constructed, ONLINE BOYCOTT PETITION?

This is what I was getting at. It annoys me just how fickle gamers are. Valve built up a huge amount of good will over the course of 10+ years and one tiny decision means all of that is forgotten. Would it hurt to trust Valve a bit?

Cheers,

Mo

This is what I was getting at. It annoys me just how fickle gamers are. Valve built up a huge amount of good will over the course of 10+ years and one tiny decision means all of that is forgotten. Would it hurt to trust Valve a bit?

Cheers,

Mo

Wowowo. 10 years ? Let's remember how not-so-good the reputation of Valve was between the time they announced HL² and when they began to talk about the new TF2 : the multiple port of CS (notably Condition Zero) were considered by most very bad, Steam was a steaming -ahah- piece of shit for quite a while, they were mocked for the leaking of HL² sources, they kept on delaying for 1 year episodic content ... basically most core gamers I know didn't believe they could deliver on time and with the promised content.

Everybody should see the tremendous effort that went into the communication and quality improvement in the past 2 years and congratulate them for that but, really, Valve got up in everybody expectations when they unveiled the new TF2; not before.

What about releasing Team Fortress Classic for free? Unheard of at the time. That was in 1999. Also: Deathmatch Classic.

And sure gamers got impatient (like we always do), but I don't think anyone doubted they'd deliver. They wouldn't deliver on time, but they never had a 3drealms-esque reputation.

But whatever, it's beside the point. THE POINT is that Valve have built up a great deal of good will over the course of many years. They are one the most (if not the most) "philanthropic" developers out there. Gamers know this, and yet they throw a hissy-fit over L4D2. Why are they (we?) so fickle?

Mo

Wait, it's now "Five old games for the price of one new game"?

Hasn't that always been 5=1 ?

okay it's a bad strawman but COME ON, this stuff makes me embarassed to say I play games

Seems to me that you guys are overreacting even more than the boycotters.

It's not like these people have forgotten the awesome things that Valve has done in the past, that's the whole reason they are doing their little petition in the first place. How can you even justify something supposedly bad by the good that has already been done. Maybe they need to learn to trust a little more, but I think these "fucking spoiled brats" have a point in there and the right to criticize even if they are overreacting a bit. Cut them some fucking slack.

Edited by Wurtsi

Seems to me that you guys are overreacting even more than the boycotters.

It's not like these people have forgotten the awesome things that Valve has done in the past, that's the whole reason they are doing their little petition in the first place. How can you even justify something supposedly bad by the good that has already been done. I think these "fucking spoiled brats" have a point in there and the right to criticize even if they are overreacting a bit. Cut them some fucking slack.

Hey I called them fucking spoiled jerks.

You said it best yourself, it's something SUPPOSEDLY bad, no one knows a good goddamn how this is all going to pan out. I don't think Valve need to be deified for all their glorious gifts to the lowly gamer rabble, but I also don't think the solution is to assume they're going to leave the original L4D out in the cold and start signing names in a misguided attempt to have your voice heard.

No slack will be cut.

Oh, I almost forgot - no YOU'RE overreacting!!

While I'm personally a bit disappointed that L4D2 isn't going to be an expansion for the original, I wouldn't go quite so far as to shit myself about it.

There are some truly awful, paper-thin arguments for boycotting the game being cited by that group. "Spoilt whiners" seems about right to me, though you could argue Valve made a rod for their own backs--what with the embarrassment of riches TF2 continues to be, and you being able to give away parts of The Orange Box you already own to other people.

But, if we're still playing Left 4 Thumbs every Sunday by then and people want to move over to L4D2, of course I'll buy it. I do not object to giving talented people money for stuff I like. :getmecoat

For me experiencing each level for the first time is worth the price of the game alone. Especially when they have totally awesome shit like the plane crash.

True. I always stop for a moment to enjoy that whenever we play Dead Air. :yep:

Fuck it, I want to play again tonight now. Who wants to play later, say about 9pm BST? I'm serious. :tup:

Wait, it's now "Five old games for the price of one new game"?

Hasn't that always been 5=1 ?

God. There were five games inside that box, and the box was sold for the price a single game is frequently sold. It's not that hard to understand! Obviously, it wasn't "five old games," and everybody knows that, so why even ask?

God. There were five games inside that box, and the box was sold for the price a single game is frequently sold. It's not that hard to understand! Obviously, it wasn't "five old games," and everybody knows that, so why even ask?

My theory would be, if you don't want to buy, don't.

For those of us who have cooled our collective jets about L4D2 and plan on picking it up, here's a bit more info to wet the ol' whistle.

Three new unique infected...

(edit: crummy old link removed, he mentions three fairly early in the interview)

and more importantly...

A GODDAMN CRICKET BAT a la Shaun of the Dead :clap:

Edited by Shakesbeard

For those of us who have cooled our collective jets about L4D2 and plan on picking it up, here's a bit more info to wet the ol' whistle.

Three or four new unique infected...

Just for anyone else using it, Google Chrome warned me not once but twice about that site containing malware. So watch your collective step... :(

My theory would be, if you don't want to buy, don't.

Seriously, that is what I don't understand. In every other hobby/entertainment I take part in, if something seems like a crappy deal, I just tell myself to forget about it and move on with my life. It's only in gaming where the enthusiasts seem to feel that voting with their wallet isn't enough, they have to act as if the company that is doing something they don't like with their video games, they might as well be selling Nuclear warheads to Bin Laden for all the bile spewed towards them. Amazon review bombs, public boycotts and petitions, and being sure to add something negative to every comment or thread vaguely related to the game for ever and ever. If you don't think "Left 4 Dead 2" is worth the money, why is simply buying something else not a valid option?

I find it infuriating. I wrote a review for a site for the PC version of Mass Effect, and the entire conversation revolved around how horrible a human being I was for supporting "draconian copy protection" just by talking about the game. I responded by email to them stating that if someone had a problem with the DRM, I could respect that, but personally it didn't affect my purchase. I recieved six - six - responses that made the astronomically hyperbolic comparison to that poem about people who didn't speak up for minorities in Nazi Germany until there was no one left to speak for them.

And yet these are the same people who think any discussion on game theory is pretentious or think Croal expressing personal feelings about race in RE5 should just shut up and go away. In other words, video games aren't meant to be taken seriously...unless it's the most trivial issue in the world, in which case it's the most serious thing possible. This is the shit that makes me embarrassed to admit I'm a gamer in public.

I don't think it's so much that L4D2 is shaping up to be a bad deal as much as people feel that they were promised lots of free shit for L4D1, and with the announcement of the sequel the same people felt that this equaled Valve not doing anything more with L4D1. Of course this means that when they did do something more (the upcoming whatever it is), now they're only doing it to SILENCE THE VOICE OF THE PEOPLE or whatever.

Also, from now on I'm introducing a new system for writing about L4D1 and L4D2, which is: L1D and L2D. You're welcome.