Patters

Duke Nukem Forever Canned [and then not]

So I went and bought the Duke3D Atomic Edition from GoG in honour of DNF gone gold.

I wonder what is the best way to get some high res action out of this without getting the ugly fan made 3d models? Proper mouse control would be sweet also. I was reading about the high res pack and eDuke and JFDuke.

The last time I played Duke3D completely through was propably 12 years ago so I think it's about time to go play that again.

Heh. I just stumbled across my own copy of this game the other day. I think the thing about games like this (e.g. Doom) is that they're designed to be played without a mouse. Once you get past how initially restrictive that feels, it's actually a lot of fun.

zVb041neTtc

Way better than Duke Nukem 3D. :mock:

Wow. Even for a 32 colour game... that's damned ugly!

I suppose everyone has already seen this?

Duke Nudem (NSFW!)

Edit: Interestingly, they've actually made this a lot easier than when I first played it. It's still not much fun to play, though.

Wait, 2k Games owns a website called boob-tube.eu?

Wow. Even for a 32 colour game... that's damned ugly!

I think it's caused by the upscaler. I don't remember those clouds to be that ugly.

Heh. I just stumbled across my own copy of this game the other day. I think the thing about games like this (e.g. Doom) is that they're designed to be played without a mouse. Once you get past how initially restrictive that feels, it's actually a lot of fun.

I have a boxed version of Duke3D at home, but it's the regular version. The GoG version was the Atomic pack with the 4th episode, which I have never actually played.

I tried out eDuke32 and the highres pack, the HRP texture packs and ugly new 3d objects looks like crap so that's going to the trashbin very quickly. It is and looks like a crappy fan made enhancement pack.

eDuke32 however is nice, it's cool to be able to get high resolutions out of the game, like 1920x1200 on my rig. I do appreciate the original game a lot, I also like playing Doom with totally original settings without any modifications, but it's fun to test out with "modern" controls. Also original Duke3D seems weird as the controls can't be changed and it's arrow keys for movement, home and end key for looking up and down, A to jump, Z to crouch, space to interact. Really messy controls.

Duke Nukem 2 is awesome, that intro brings so many good memories from my youth. The "I'm back" audio was spoken by 3D Realms employee back in the day, they talked about that in one the podcasts.

The real way to do this would be actually to play Duke 1 and 2 and then Duke3D in order to get ready for DNF.

Gah, why don't Bobby Prince and Lee Jackson still do music for games, especially big games. I miss those sweet tunes.

My copy was shipped today, makes me think that why I didn't just buy it from Steam. Thehut.com said delivery overseas takes up to 20 working days, wtf?!

Life would be oh so much easier if I just used Steam, this game is anyway using Steamworks drm.

I receive my thehut stuff usually within 10 days. They can't do much on slowness by various parties, I blame customs.

Yeah, but I get for example regular airmail packages from Japan in 2-3 days to Finland. And from UK it takes 7-20 days apparently. Maybe they are delivering it by a rubber boat or by bicycle?

It was the same for me, Kolzig. Shoulda just bought the game I got there on Steam.

thehut ships from the canal islands, so, it's first shipped to England, and from there it's shipped to the mainland and what not. It's a rather long route. Why Japan delivers to Finland in 2-3 days is quite a mystery to me.

anyhow... the Dutch online retailer better have my package at the office this friday... or else...

or else I won't be able to play the game

It's 30£ on D2D, and if it's Steamworks you'll get a Steam key. Steam is expensive as hell.

Why Japan delivers to Finland in 2-3 days is quite a mystery to me.

Because Japan Post and Itella in Finland are superefficient. ;)

Japan's post work week is monday-saturday so they work six days per week. (they have one off day so five day work week, but still the system is operated six days per week)

I heard from my work colleagues that when they receive stuff from Germany, it takes two weeks to arrive here and that's because Deutsche Post sucks!

It's 30£ on D2D, and if it's Steamworks you'll get a Steam key. Steam is expensive as hell.

Yeah, wasn't the pre-order in Steam like 45 euros so you got only 5 euros off from the official 49,95€ price.

Crazy prices.

Ugh, I'm getting Royal Mail flashbacks from my time in Glasgow. Fuckers.

I have an american friend that I can paypal money to, who will then gift me what I need. Saves a lot of cash with the current exchange rates! :tup:

Snap_20110610_07h52m47s_001.jpg

Until I see footage of someone actually playing it I can't believe this game exists.

Snap_20110610_07h52m47s_001.jpg

Until I see footage of someone actually playing it I can't believe this game sexists.

Quite.

Until I see footage of someone actually playing it I can't believe this game exists.

Here you go.

:tup:

QwrbyVaC6EU

So, I'm assuming almost everyone has spent the last 24 hours playing this game. How is it? Disappointing? Surprisingly good? Fun? Crude?

I suspect the reality is that nobody has spent any time playing it. :frusty: