Jake

Idle Thumbs 26: Raising the 'Bargo

Weren't the Child's Play movies based on the My Buddy doll? I suppose its possible that I linked them together only in my mind...geez that first movie scared the bajeezes out of me when I was little.

So after asserting that a custom level is not the equivalent of a mod, the last mod you gents mentioned was DOTA...

Which is a custom Warcraft 3 map.

I think that some of the custom maps are the equivalent of mods. Their creators are constrained by their toolset the same as someone making a Halflife 2 mod with the editor. But the change in gameplay is interesting/new enough to make it a very different game from the source.

Haha fine! Fine! Maybe we should stop talking about mods. The map vs mod thing is surely a fairly outdated definition, but I was trying to present some degree of contrast to Nick's claim that an LBP level was a mod, and may have accidentally slipped into a time warp to the '90s.

Why don't we just call them Mads.

Or some bullshit marketing term like Player Created Alterations?

I played some pretty sweet PCAs in a video game yesterday.

You gents are having a bad influence on me.

PCA for the win! A small step towards fixing the lack of TLA-s in video games.

making time fly at work listening to old episodes yet again - and in response to this episode about the worst endings in video games I must show all the kids out there just how bad and unrewarding a video game can be.

Enter the Arcade / NES classic. KARNOV

This game basically makes you its bitch for a very very long time and then you finally beat it and what is your reward? Imagine if Demon Souls ended this way :P

y14ccl5YYpQ

You get two exclamation marks! That's pretty extravagent.

Didn't some Call of Duty or Medal of Honor like game did that too? You entered some train, and then got an "the end", and that was it.

Or at least, that was what a friend of mine told me a few years ago.