Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

Lego Pirates

I've been going crazy over the new Lego Pirates set today. Just look at how spectacular these new sets are!

Soldiers' Fort

35702195.JPG

Brickbeard's Bounty

brickbeardsbounty.jpg

I MUST have these! As a kid I already loved the pirate Lego, but the ships and forts were way out of my (or rather my parents') price range. The last time proper pirate sets came out was in 1997, so 12 years have passed and finally... the time has come. I'm getting my wenchlovin' pirate galley! ARRRRR!!

Captain+Brickbeard.jpg

There IS a Lego clone (which since recently is allowed because of a lawsuit loss by Lego) called Whateverwhatchamacallitblocks that has official Pirates of the Caribbean Lego. But it's just... you know... meh. I look at the boxes I posted above, the design and everything, and I just get giddy with childish excitement. That's what Lego does.

Wow, pirates used to be my favorite Lego as well. Clumsily shooting those cannonballs out from the flick cannon.

I'm almost tempted to buy these.

Wow, pirates used to be my favorite Lego as well. Clumsily shooting those cannonballs out from the flick cannon.

I'm almost tempted to buy these.

Just give it a day, and you'll have convinced yourself that you can't live another moment without them.

I was always more into the space lego.

Yes but you need to buy both to make Space Pirates!

These look like slight updates of old sets. I think my brother had that fort. Which is, of course, awesome.

I always was more into castle knights and medieval legos, but I was soooo fucking happy when I got the HUGE 3 masts pirate ship for christmas and my birthday... god I remember playing with it in the bath and getting depressed because it sunk T_T

Ugh. I remember trying to replicate Star Wars vehicles before the licensed sets came out, and I was ecstatic when I got the chance to play with little Lego lightsabers, but I don't like what Lego has become. I still love the older sets (I stopped buying Lego around the time of the first generation of Bioncicles) but looking at the sets out now, there are often times when there is not a single product out that isn't either a licensed property or a Bionicle spin-off. It's getting better now, but:

170088669_4ac2230e57.jpg

"Come on!"- GOB Bluth

Yeah, I also too have been disenchanted with what whores the Lego company has become.

I mean I haven't been actively playing with them for over 13 years, but they used to be my favorite toys, and it's always sad when I see so many licensed merchandise that is pushed to kids these days, at least in the United States. Sure when I was young I had a Garfield plush and played Capcom Disney games on my NES, but now it seems like anything targeted to a younger crowd that is an original property without any type of establishment or tie in, it has no chance. Not mention all those horrible half assed Disney channel/CG movie games that relentlessly clutter up the shelves of all Nintendo consoles. Yuck.

There's no way another Humongous games type studio could ever survive now.

Lego has made a few cringeworthy attempts to cash in on successful franchises (Spiderman, Harry Potter), but for every dud there is a jewel that they've exploited really well. The Batman, Indiana Jones and Starwars Lego is absolutely terrific, well-made, full of creativity. Next to that there's still a ton of original Lego: the City, Castle and now Pirates settings have never gone out of style in lieu of the licenses.

Overall, the quality of Lego is still supreme. You're all a bunch of Scrooges :yep:

(Admittedly, that Spongebob thing is truly abysmal, but I could post a whole topic full of incredible Starwars vehicles to counter it with ease.)