Sign in to follow this  
OssK

"Follow the trend" meeting...

So yesterday we had a "moves of the industry monthly meeting" or as a friend calls it: "see what they do ? well do the same, with more guns".

So everyone of us has to talk about a game the design way and we did, there were a few interesting analysis, particularly one of my co worker demonstrated in every way possible how making an unimaginative unoriginal clone game is widely enough to make the cut for now but pushes us away from making art which can change people's live giving a lot of feedback from gamers around him on many games including KZ2 and 50cent2 (I don't know why but the financial department almost applauded this one, probably because the only listened to the first part, I don't really know why they're in a game company, they don't care about games at all, fuck it anyway).

But the very first friend I mentioned exposed a game in the making, Singularity, and explained how it was going to make the very foundations of game design tremble showing 2 videos of the game.

And I was shocked that he could be so blinded by sweet graphics, cause the game (with a hand that has powers, don't mention bioshock and that can manipulate gravity and make portals but don't open the valve on plagiary) was basically a lot of scripted stuff, cause I can only guess that you couldn't manipulate ANY object...

Sure it can have neat multiplayer, but making a game with ONE original guns is kinda lame to me... Whadya think about that game have you seen it*?

Singularity looks dumb to me.

Oh come off it! The ability to un-crumple barrels is the single most important thing to happen to the genre since being able to look up and down!

They've loaded a Stalin model into Character Studio and applied the dance template. Probably funny at the office, but it seems low-rent to use it in a trailer. If you look at dancing animations on YouTube (Darth Vader, various anime guys), nine times out of ten it'll be the same exact dance.

So the era of 4D gaming will begin with singularity? How appropriate.

Thing is, considering the impossibly cool properties of quantum physics you could probably make some fun games, the only problem is that people who could make these games are the only one on earth that understand these concepts, and guess what, those guys already have a 200 feet wide hadron collider cock ring to play with so they don't give a fuck about video games...

They've loaded a Stalin model into Character Studio and applied the dance template. Probably funny at the office, but it seems low-rent to use it in a trailer. If you look at dancing animations on YouTube (Darth Vader, various anime guys), nine times out of ten it'll be the same exact dance.

That's exactly what a dude from the art department said, the rest of us were too taken aback by the sheer ridiculousness of that situation to do anything but try to picture the highly advanced state of degradation of the brain of the guy that came up with this game which looks awfully shitty but seems to be developed by a couple dozen guys...

So... that means it will be released in 2015?

The horrible thing is, Singularity piques my interest just because it has a quasi-scientific name. It's kind of the 'The Mass Effect' effect mentioned in the podcast. Could they actually have an interesting scientific notion running in the background of the game? Probably not. Uncrumpling barrels it is.

Didn´t the 4D gaming-era begin with Thief: The Dark Project?

Didn´t the 4D gaming-era begin with Thief: The Dark Project?

Could you uncrumple barrels in Thief: The Dark Project?

Could you uncrumple barrels in Thief: The Dark Project?

No, but you could hear where they where being uncrumpled. Through the amazing technology of 4D. At least I think that was what the Eidos pamphlet said.

Wait, are you suggesting 4D has anything to do with time? Well, it doesn't.

Anyway, singularity looks interesting. But I think the concept will be simplified to things which are more or less required for the game to work. Much like the physics "puzzles" in Half Life 2, or the destructible terrain Red Faction.

However misleading, by one interpretation time is still quite commonly referred to being the "fourth dimension", even though its role is quite different from that of the three spatial dimensions. Fourth dimension of Euclidean space is, of course, a completely different thing.

Not sure how this is relevant though. Marketing people don't care.