Spaff

The Science Museum presents: Launchball

Whilst at the Science museum a few months ago with Rusalka (yusfter) and her little sisters, Marek and myself discovered a PC in the corner of the kids area with a game on it, sarcastically proclaming "video games!" we sat down to play, and err well it wasn't that bad actually, and we completed it :tup:

You can play it online, It's not exactly mind taxing, but it does have user created content and was quite a fun little puzzle thing. Maybe someone here can make something good from it. Or at least rude.

It revolves around a little ball, and placing tiles that affect the environment in different ways, that can eventually be used to get your ball to safety. It's like chu chu rocket meets lemmings or something.

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/launchpad/launchball/

"Play, Create and Share."

I'm sure that's someone else's tag line ¬¬

updated!

Actually I've just noticed that the online version has far more levels than the one we played, maybe it does get evil at the end, far too evil for small children to be exposed to ¬¬

Also it has won some awards... neat

Launchball is a physics-based Flash game produced by the Science Museum in London, to co-incide with the reopening of their hands-on gallery 'Launchpad'.

The aim of the game is to get a ball from a starting position to a 'goal' by placing additional blocks onto the grid-based screen. Blocks include springs, slopes, magnets, lights, mirrors and so on.

The game has won numerous awards, including at SXSW 2008, where in the Interactive awards in won in the 'Games' category and the 'Best in Show' award[1]. It has also won the Innovative and Overall award at the 2008 Museums and the Web awards[2], and is nominated for a 2008 Webby Award[3].

post-8-13375603094019_thumb.jpg

I really feel compelled to point out that this place isn't The Science Museum, it is in fact Science Museum. The lack of a definite article really puts a more enigmatic spin on it!

The science museum is so fucking cool. Since July I must've been 4 or 5 times, I can't get enough of it.

That game is way cool on it's own, but the facts you get are sweet too. I just learnt there's an electrical current flowing between Jupiter and one of it's moons, how amazing is that? :tup::tup:

The science museum is so fucking cool.

This should read, "Science Museum is so fucking cool."

well that was the fun.

correction, that was fun

Ah I forgot you could create your own levels. Hey Idle Thumbs community... how about it?

Yeah I'm too lazy to create anything myself.

grr...

sharing levels sucks, you need to send emails to specific users

Family love Science Museum!

Here is my favourite thing about the Science Museum though,

n669547342_1902803_1535.jpg

Here's my favourite thing about (the?) Natural History Museum:

n669547342_1470783_9707.jpg

I was hoping so... but I still haven't received the email...

edit: wtf, my level is gone. The name is still there, but it doesn't have any content.

updated!

Actually I've just noticed that the online version has far more levels than the one we played, maybe it does get evil at the end, far too evil for small children to be exposed to ¬¬

They don't :( Neat, though.

My name is there but the blocks I removed to make the level tricky are back in place... As a result you get a fully functional level... So sad I tried my best to create my level but it's not playable... It was called "Blow you away"