Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

Evan Dorkin

So, SyntheticGerbil is a fan of Evan Dorkin, as am I. Anyone else? He's worked on ace shows like Space Ghost and Yo Gabba Gabba, and does many ace comics such as Milk And Cheese, Hectic Planet and Dork.

I wish this guy got more work/could fix his physical/psychological obstacles that stop him from getting more done!

http://evandorkin.livejournal.com/

I used to enjoy Milk and Cheese a lot :)

"I have a gland problem"

"Well stop eating so many goddamn glands then!"

"I have an eating disorder!"

"Sure, you're eating disorder, dat order, EVERYBODY'S ORDER!"

"It's not fair of you to bully overweight people"

"It's nothing personal. We just spun the wheel and it came up as your turn today. Look! Now we're doing over a blind guy! Does that make you feel better?"

Where on earth did my Milk and Cheese comics go?

Had no idea he worked on Yo Gabba Gabba, or kids TV at all. That's ace.

I really like Evan Dorkin's sad or heartfelt stuff just as much as his outrageous violent stuff. Things like Dork #7 and the Hectic Planet Series are all really memorable, if not somewhat disjointed.

I wish this guy got more work/could fix his physical/psychological obstacles that stop him from getting more done![/url]

I think all that has a lot to do with him raising his daughter, but I wish he would get to work on something a little bit more substantial than the one-pagers and TV shows he's done over the last 6 years.

But then again I bet all that stuff pays just as much as finishing a 32 page comic book, but what do I know?

Heh, just recognised you posting on Dorkin's blog because of your avatar, synth!

Crap! I've been caught!

Also, hooray for Milk and Cheese hardcover! I also have a bunch of anthology comics and non collected issues I'm debating giving away, thinking they will be in this book, but not being absolutely sure if I'll get burned without checking the actual book myself first.

Haha, I saw you post this time on the big news post for the Dork stuff to start coming out again.

I need to get this book, I think my only questions were whether it contained every Milk and Cheese strip up until now, but supposedly it does. I will probably just go ahead and give my straggler Milk and Cheese comics and anthologies away to a used book store and get this hardcover soon.

Apparently the only thing missing is a 6-page crossover strip with the Hectic Planet characters that Dorkin might have been able to get the rights and originals for, but decided not to because it was a pretty bad strip that recycled lots of gags and would have stuck out like a sore thumb. He talks about it on that audio interview he linked to recently.

I first read Milk and Cheese and Hectic Planet in Deadline, which must be dating me... liked Dorkin's work ever since. His wife, Sarah Dyer, also does cool stuff - including working on Space Ghost.

But agree w/ syntheticgerbil - his more sincere stuff about dealing with anxiety and depression is terrific.

Yeah, Dork #7 and The Bummer Trilogy were pretty powerful.

Dyer worked on Space Ghost with Dorkin, and they both also worked a little on the Paul Dini Superman cartoon., I think. She also used to do Action Girl Comics, not sure if that's happening any more. I picked up one or two and they were pretty bad.

Apparently the only thing missing is a 6-page crossover strip with the Hectic Planet characters that Dorkin might have been able to get the rights and originals for, but decided not to because it was a pretty bad strip that recycled lots of gags and would have stuck out like a sore thumb. He talks about it on that audio interview he linked to recently.

I have the small book with that strip. It's much more Hectic Planet heavy than really dealing with Milk and Cheese. The six pages that Evan did are the best looking and best written thing in the whole anthology, even though yeah, it sucks.

It's a weird crossover strip existing in another universe of characters (called Munden's Bar) which involves the Ninja Turtles at some point (in a different strip).

My dad's going to give me his scanner when I visit him on Christmas (mine has kicked the bucket), but I'll throw this on my desk with the rest of the stuff I'm going to finally scan and get a zip file on megaupload or something. Is 150 dpi okay?

I'm really sorry, Ben, I meant to get this to you sooner, but I have the scans now!

I went ahead and just kept them at 300 dpi because I forgot that Evan likes to cram tons of stuff in each panel and there's the usual tiny writing, so the file comes in at 66 mb for 7 images. Hopefully that's okay.

Here's the link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FLNSLXGF

Edited by syntheticgerbil

That's great, man, the higher-res the better! Thanks for doing that. Maybe you should comment/contact Dorkin and see if he would be interested in seeing them or hosting them or something.

Just read it, it's fantastic! Lots of classic Dorkin in there. Glad I've got it, thanks Synth.

What kind of communistic share-the-wealth bullshit did I just walk into?