Erkki

Orbitum

Here's a

of the prototype of my current game project, Orbitum (name subject to change). I think it's best described as radial breakout. I was initially aiming for a cross between Peggle & Breakout, but I'm not sure what exactly I'll end up with. Still experimenting with different gameplay elements and I haven't even begun with graphics. Might release a playable prototype in a few months.

I'm writing it in Scala, and also a reusable 2D game engine (game entity system, actually) codenamed Gamp, using Slick and JBox2D as the basis, the latter of which I ported to Scala.

If you watch the video, the game changes a bit at 0:50, when the Magnet power-up is activated.

The magnet power up looks really interesting, great concept. It seems like something you could expand on to be a full blown gameplay mechanic.

I'd say impressive so far, look forward to the demo.

More interesting than Breakout tends to be! Maybe not the highest praise, but I did like it. Since it's radial, would it make sense to have the boxes in a circular formation?

Thanks for the comments.

I actually have thought about making the magnet a central gameplay concept rather than just one of possible power-ups. I also have some other thoughts for the direction I want to take the game in. Not sure which will win yet.

Maybe I'll do a first very simple version as a browser-game and then take it in a different direction.

The level layout in that video was just something I could most easily create to play around with, but yeah, most likely the boxes/pegs/whatevers will end up being arranged more circularly.

Very nice!

I remember playing a mobile game with similar "radial breakout" gameplay once, but I don't remember the name. It didn't have the magnet/gravity concept, though, and I would be interested in seeing that utilized in this game (maybe as one of the gameplay modes or something).

Looking forward to playing this.

That game is pretty awful, yours looks much more ambitious artistically and mechanically already :yep:

A

. Improvements:

* FRAPS instead of webcam (and higher res, not intentionally blurred this time)

* shorter: only 30 seconds :)

* music (will probably not end up in the released game, depends on how much the licensing will cost)

* some graphics (probably temp)

* you can now see the score

* makes more use of the magnet (see for yourself)

I'm basically just experimenting with the space theme, I'm not sure what the final game will look like.

I currently plan to give the player two strategies:

* if you want to play around with the magnet, Orbit around stuff etc., do that and get score bonuses

* if you like fast-paced play, forget the magnet and go for the time bonus (or use the magnet to increase velocity instead of decreasing it!)

Great idea with the strategy splitting. I like where you're going in that video, especially if you can make the ball gravitate toward the magnet in a more loose/bouncy way. other than the visual style. I think I preferred the neon-y minimalism of the first video, even if it's almost as overplayed a theme as space now.

:tup:

Yeah, I actually prefer the minimalist style myself.

especially if you can make the ball gravitate toward the magnet in a more loose/bouncy way.

What do you mean by loose/bouncy? That it should react faster to the magnet?

I'm not really sure what I mean. Probably a little faster, yes, and with more sweeping radial movements. Oh, and is the magnet always on?

Currently you turn it on manually after you find it under one of the objects, and it is turned off when you lose your ball. Then you can turn it on again. But it would probably be best if you can turn it on and off at will. I'll probably make it so that it will stay in your "inventory" after you get it for the first time.

The space theme looks really nice :tup:

I'm not sure I can really give any constructive criticism without playing the game for myself, but I'm definitely interested in seeing how you progress.

Looks sweet. So when can we get a public beta or something?

In a month or two, I think.

I'm a bit stuck with level ideas. I do have many ideas for levels and gameplay elements, but I'll have to test some of them out, which takes time. And then I'll have to test their combinations too. The magnet doesn't actually work that well with some other stuff I'm trying, so I'll have to limit it's use or drop a lot of other stuff. Also, the Box2D physics engine isn't that good in some corner cases so I might have to tweak that too.

Maybe I'll just release a somewhat polished one-level prototype at first and then work on new levels and features.

Also, the Box2D physics engine isn't that good in some corner cases so I might have to tweak that too.

Just use circles.