MrHoatzin

Remo does Blow

There were some more minor things, just little, tiny gameplay glitches that.
That's bullshit.

Great interview, but I would love him to have been asked how he felt about the story in Braid and what it meant to him. As much as I love Braid there's only one word I can use to describe the whole "atomic bomb" thing: Pretentious.

I wish it wasn't, though... so maybe his take would have enlightened us?

What are you moaning about now?

It doesn't even make any sense, what he says!

Great interview, but I would love him to have been asked how he felt about the story in Braid and what it meant to him. As much as I love Braid there's only one word I can use to describe the whole "atomic bomb" thing: Pretentious.

I thought it might have been a reference to physicist Richard Feynman, who worked on the Manhattan Project. He was obliquely referenced in the early level called Three Easy Pieces, but other than that I can't remember any especially compelling evidence.

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/43121?page=2#comment-1039779

Every time I say something about what Braid is about, I ultimately see someone using a distortion of that statement as an excuse to hate me for some reason that I don't think makes sense. [...] As I will undoubtedly regret this posting, next month when someone on the Boing Boing discussion boards excerpts some sentence and uses it as incontrovertible proof that I philosophically support the campaign of Pol Pot. Or something.

He's pretentious and he has a persecution complex! I'll bet he's a blast at parties.

He's pretentious and he has a persecution complex! I'll bet he's a blast at parties.

Just sounds like he's been on the internets to me.

The other thing that I learned is, of course, the classic internet thing that everybody learns, which is that if you do an interview or give a lecture, people will take the one sentence that they like the least and make it the headline, and everybody will flame you for being stupid and saying something that you didn't actually really say.

Ahhg... some kind of... feedback loop.... ahhg my head!

Since he's a frequent and outspoken err, speaker, at conferences I can definitely imagine him being a little frustrated with how the internet can distort his opinions. His hour long MIGS talk for instance was pretty deep and interesting whereas, as I recall, the two paragraph (or whatever) Kotaku write-up of it made it sound reaaally... different.

:tup:

----

I really enjoyed his discussion about the opposing pressure of story vs challenge. It's essentially the Narrativism vs Ludology debate from a couple of years back, but without the flamewar. Blow, and Braid, seem to be approaching the resolution of that dichotomy, and Remo hints at it in a question - at some point, maybe game mechanic and story can become the same thing.

It's a shame none of the big players seem to give it any thought at all.

I don't know him very well (we had him over to Develop last July, and I saw him at a party last GDC too), but as far as I can tell he's not too bad at them. He's an interesting and thoughtful guy, though occasionally just disappears to do some Tai Chi :)

I liked this bit of the interview:

The other thing that I learned is, of course, the classic internet thing that everybody learns, which is that if you do an interview or give a lecture, people will take the one sentence that they like the least and make it the headline, and everybody will flame you for being stupid and saying something that you didn't actually really say.

But that's just the peril of publicity on the internet. And the way to get around that is to never say anything substantive, right?

If I go to a PR training class, every question you ask me, I'll say, "Number None Incorporated is very interested in providing the best experience for its players."

Then all the interviews are going to be shit. And why should anybody listen to them? I wish that people on the internet understood that by engaging in that carnival, they're actively discouraging the content that they want, which is people being straight with them and saying useful stuff.

But not that many people realize that. And you can't, ever. That's never going to happen. People are never going to curtail the way they respond to things. So I just have to be cool with it. When controversies explode over something I didn't really say or didn't really think, I just say, "Okay. Great, guys."