Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

Games for Windows - ASS

Can I not use my existing Xbox LIVE login/identity for Games for Windows? I tried logging into the GfW website using my Xbox Gamertag email address, and instead of taking me to registration it always kicks me through to Xbox.com... :(

What? I've registered with my Xbox Live profile, and they're now linked.

The problem I'm having is this:

1. Go to Games for Windows - LIVE website
  2. Click wobbly, shouty JOIN FREE tab in header
  3. Click non-wobbly, still-shouty JOIN NOW button on page
  4. Arrive at typical Microsoft Live (aka Passport) login page and submit email address and password used for Xbox Gamertag
  5. Automatically kicked through to Xbox.com, instead of back to GfW website again

So I've just googled the Games for Windows - LIVE software download instead and am installing that now. Hopefully, I can short-circuit this stupid fucking system that way. :(

So I've just googled the Games for Windows - LIVE software download instead and am installing that now. Hopefully, I can short-circuit this stupid fucking system that way. :(

Yep, installing the client and plugging my existing Xbox LIVE credentials in worked first time. :frusty:

I can't see any details about friends, messaging or anything else though... where the hell is it? This just looks like a few web pages masked as a standalone application. :finger:

I had similar problems when I installed GTA4 for the pc. I had to register for 3 different accounts I think. Really annoying :/

whatever happened to just playing the game after installing it

I registered my account after installing Fallout 3: The Legal Version. I get the Live bar on the top of the screen which shows the friends stuff. I haven't tried accessing it outside of the game, though.

Jesus, it's so ridiculous to have two different platforms or whatever running on top of my game, each with their own friend system and all sorts of shit, each having their own "magic key" to pop up, reminding me of it every time I start the game.

I registered my account after installing Fallout 3: The Legal Version. I get the Live bar on the top of the screen which shows the friends stuff. I haven't tried accessing it outside of the game, though.

Jesus, it's so ridiculous to have two different platforms or whatever running on top of my game, each with their own friend system and all sorts of shit, each having their own "magic key" to pop up, reminding me of it every time I start the game.

It didn't bother me. In fact, I kind of prefer having both. Since I actively use my Xbox Live account, and I actively use Steam, I pretty much want as many games linked into those systems as possible.

I linked my GFW Live profile for Fallout to my gamertag. After four hours of play.

If I cared about achievements I'd be annoyed that I'd missed the early ones, but I really don't care enough to do it again until I actually want to. Which may be never.

I didn't pay any attention to the achievements for Fallout 3, I just like having my buddy lists for Live and Steam available as frequently as possible.

Sure, I'm also glad I can have them both available, but it's pretty hilarious to have them both on top of each other, each doing their own thing in slightly different ways.

It's fucking hilarious, right? Don't you just laugh and laugh every time you see it?

:getmecoat

I don't remember ever really seeing them at the same time. You have to actively bring up the Steam overlay.

If I remember correctly, I wasn't forced to install Live with the boxed version of Fallout 3. However, the latest patch pretty much just told me that it would be installing it now for the future DLC content. I was prepared for things getting really messy but, to my surprise, I didn't have to register an account or indeed even have it running in order to play.

So at least they didn't make it a pain for those of us who just want to play the game. Might be a different story with other Games for Windows games though.

For me it's Steam that boots the game, but as soon as it starts it relinquishes control to GFW. I can bring up the Steam overlay if I want, but they both have separate folders for saves (one is a directory up from the other), and when GFW didn't start one time it only gave me the saves from four hours in, so I just copied the other ones over.

Worked fine for me, thankfully. But AFAI was aware you couldn't get Games For Windows outside of a GFW game... I guess they made a separate installer?

The thing that bothers me is that mouse clicks don't register in the right spot.