brkl

Wut? Dudes patch & mod Planescape: Torment

Great job, Qwinn! :tup::tup::tup:

Any luck on getting transparency/dithering working on an NVideo 8 series card, yet? The hack mentioned in Bigg's post doesn't seem to work for me :/

Nope :( I actually have a 7600GS, I don't know if the problems on the 8 series are worse, but I certainly do have at least some of the same issues.

I definitely did -seem- to have -less- problems when running with widescreen and ghostdog's UI (at 1280x768) than when I ran it at the vanilla resolution. The only spell that seemed to cause issues was Call Lightning, tho I suspect other Lightning spells would also be buggy.

I didn't test the really big 9th level spells with it yet, though (some of them have -amazing- spell effects, if they work right). By the time I could in the last area of the game I just wanted to release the new damn version, heh, and I knew I couldn't do anything about it anyway.

Basically, I think the problem is that the IE engine is hardcoded for DirectX 8.0, or something like that, and NVidia didn't bother to make it backward compatible. If we had the engine's source code, it could, in theory, be recompiled to use DirectX 9+. But efforts to get that source code have proven very unlikely to go anywhere, so unless NVidia corrects the backward incompatibility issue, we're pretty much stuck with it I'm afraid.

Qwinn

I played Planescape: Torment for something like fifteen hours before realizing that it was a D&D game (as in, I realized it was an RPG, but I completely failed to recognize it as D&D™). I think that is as great a testament as any to Black Isle's world-smithing skills. I need to actually finish this game at some point.

Anyone played this yet... I'm having some difficulty getting "into it" after all the hype. I kind of feel that it's special for having done things first (like the whole good/evil bit), and for being unusual...? Any thoughts?

I've finally just reached Pharod after doing a million side-missions.

NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

It was the butler with the dildo in remo's "game" room

Edited by elmuerte

I was the butler with the dildo in remo's "game" room

Why were you a butler with a dildo in Remo's "game" room?

erm... wait...

What a dumb/unfortunate typo :/

Why were you a butler with a dildo in Remo's "game" room?

This is win.

----------------

Thunderpeel, I think with Planescape its more about the small things than the big that makes it such a great game. The subtlety,the detail, and the overall quality of even the more minor quests is what makes it a great game.

Thunderpeel, I think with Planescape its more about the small things than the big that makes it such a great game. The subtlety,the detail, and the overall quality of even the more minor quests is what makes it a great game.

Aaaah. I think I may have to re-adjust my expectations in order to fully enjoy it, then. Although, like you say, the details are pretty awesome, and the world itself is inspired, and the characters are interesting and well defined...... I was expecting more. Which is pretty ridiculous when I read this back to myself.

I was also hoping that the story would really hook me in, but MAN, there are millions of little side-quests standing in the way of plot progression... Maybe it's because I'm trying to do them all before allowing myself to move on -- but isn't that how you play RPGs??

I've been at it for hours and hours and I've only just met Pharod, now... and he then immediately sets me a massive quest before he'll give me any more information. *sigh*

Yeah, I wish RPG people would stop it with alle the fucking quests.

You know what I mean... Side-quests involving random characters that go nothing towards solving the massive mystery that's been presented before you. Like a Lost episode about Jack's tattoo.

That Pharod quest reveals a lot about your character as well. Just take it easy, and try to enjoy it !

Just take it easy, and try to enjoy it !

Yes, relax. Nothing to worry about, elmuerte is a professional.