Wrestlevania

24" HD 1080p for under £200

Dell have just slashed the price of their 24" 1080p flat panel monitors to under £200. What's really worth noting is that - unusually for a monitor - this really is "proper HD". It has a 16:9 aspect ratio and a screen resolution of 1920x1080.

Sorely tempted, but not really the right time of year for me... ;(

Thanks for the heads up, I sent it on to a few friends that might want one.

That bitly link just leads me to a front page, I had to do a search to get to the monitor page. I suppose that might not work for anyone else either if the dell site is committing some kind of session based url fuckery.

I dislike widescreen, and 16:9 is even worse than 16:10

5:4 ftw

you can probaby turn it to the side and make it into a narrowscreen (or tallscreen if you prefer).

9x16 ftw

I'm proud to say that my current monitor supports 544x340. Why would I ever need to upgrade?

I was thinking of buying this one

HYUNDAI-W240D-01.jpg

At work one time I accidentally hit some keyboard shortcut that rotated my whole desktop 90 degrees, so I then rotated my monitor itself to compensate, and I ended up preferring it so much that I've left it that way ever since. Considering everything I use my computer for at work is scrolling up and down on webpages, and writing things in vertical columns, it's great.

I have officially liquidated my small plastic friend and ordered one of those spanking Dell 24" jobbers. :tup:

Edited by Wrestlevania
Clicked 'Edit' instead of 'Post reply'...

At work one time I accidentally hit some keyboard shortcut that rotated my whole desktop 90 degrees, so I then rotated my monitor itself to compensate, and I ended up preferring it so much that I've left it that way ever since. Considering everything I use my computer for at work is scrolling up and down on webpages, and writing things in vertical columns, it's great.

Hmm, I always wanted one that could do that when my primary work involved word processing. I wonder if there are VESA arms that swivel...

I wonder if there are VESA arms that swivel...

Definitely; I used to have a vertical 15" LCD for email and documents, plus a larger horizontal LCD for development and browsing. The swivel was built into the mounting plate for the 15" panel as standard.

Failing that, aren't VESA plates square anyway?

A bit cumbersome to unmount and remount the monitor to switch though ;)

I'd want one I can just turn and lock at 90 degree increments.

Dell just called me, while I was giving blood (fittingly enough), to say they're delivering my monitor tomorrow morning! :woohoo:

Well, after misunderstanding Dell's rubbish telephone robot delivery woman, my monitor actually arrived just before 1pm today. That aside, suffice it to say that - even after just 20 minutes of setting it up and very briefly testing it to make sure the LCD is good (i.e. no dead pixels) - I have had to change my trousers already. Twice.

Need to sort out some proper audio, but I'm going to pick up a tidy little 2.1 set at Pissy World tonight*. All that remains to be said is: roll on Wednesday!

* That's assuming Mrs V and the Vanias are all OK. I'm at home today, as they've all had that monstrous stomach bug in some form since late Friday and been incredibly ill. I spent the whole weekend sleep-deprived and up to my armpits in vomit... and worse. ;(

Leagues better than it was at bog-standard CRT TV resolution; very sharp and easy to read. It looks like font DPI scales according to the resolution, so the text looks the same size but is of much higher fidelity.

Yeah, that'd really annoy me too.

It's partly why I've not bothered buying an LCD monitor before now; all those slightly off resolutions, or not quite right aspect ratios (16:10?!), that seem pervasive most of the time.

Just ordered a 3.5mm stereo coupler from Maplins and I should be all set once that arrives. :tup: And, hopefully, that'll be by Wednesday... :getmecoat

Oh, just in case anyone was wondering about the picture quality for not-games (i.e. films), I gave a couple a quick viewing last night.

Blade Runner

I have just your average, bog-standard DVD copy of the film--no special treatments or elaborate formatting (i.e. HD-DVD and similar nonsense). But the opening scenes were so much better, using the Xbox 360 as the player; you can see all the individual lights up the sides of the Tyrell Building, instead of the more usual blue haze of glow. And when Leon comes in for his interview, you can see the fibres in that crinkly blue shirt he's wearing. Not to get too wanky, but--oh alright then! It gave me goosebumps.

Wall-E

For something much more up to date, production-wise, I gave Wall-E a quick spin for 10 minutes. Picture quality is, again, simply fantastic; there's so much crisp detail in every shot, and the colour separation and definition (at least to me) seem to be all-but-perfect. Very crisp blacks as well, which is lovely.

I have Blade Runner on BD and it's awful. You spend the whole film looking at background details rather than watching the film. Give me a lossy AVI any day :grin:

You should maybe re-read Cigol's post :P

I wish I could see that... I've seen an HD version of Blade Runner, but not BD quality and not on a good Full HD screen.