ThunderPeel2001

Double Fine: News sometime this month!

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2009/02/activision-brutal-legend-is-ours-ea-activision-is-a-jealous-exhusband.html

Looks like ignoring and mistreating Double Fine gave Activision the feeling like they were still in negotiations with them over Brutal Legend. :finger:

Quote of the Moment:

EA Representative: "We doubt that Activision would try to sue. That would be like a husband abandoning his family and then suing after his wife meets a better looking guy."

I heard today that Activision have posted a loss of $72 million. This is including Blizzard's astonishing contribution of nearly $1 billion.

It doesn't seem as if the company is very happy!

Maybe it is somewhat linked to their publishing policies aping the old EA?

Not that executives ever see fault in their own policies. They're like Politicians in that.

Maybe it is somewhat linked to their publishing policies aping the old EA?

Not that executives ever see fault in their own policies. They're like Politicians in that.

The "new EA" is also bleeding money too. Maybe the economy is just horrible. Activision losing money makes me want to read up on this though.

Is there any reason to believe that Activision is actually onto something (legally) with this rights business and that Double Fine did not properly sever ties with the company before signing on with EA? My gut tells me that this is nothing to worry about, that Double Fine and EA's lawyers would have been too smart for that and that Activision is just trying to see if there's an opportunity for some cash, but if the tumultuous history of this game and its studio has taught me anything it's that you can't be too cynical.

In the past year there have been these vague rumors about a "loophole" in Double Fine's contract with Vivendi that enabled the former to retain the rights to the IP (something I know was always important to Tim), but I mean, those were just weird rumors. I'd really hate to think that Activision, despite having no interest in the game itself, would somehow succeed in making Brutal Legend not worth it financially for EA to publish.

It seems like everytime you think you can finally relax about the security of Brutal Legend, something like this happens.