Tanukitsune

Plug me with indie goodness!

Although I consider myself a fan of indie game, but I've realized that lately I've been missing SOOOO much!

I guess I should follow better indie blogs since I seen so misinformed!

I only learned that Dave Gilbert was making games a few hours ago and with John Green even!:frusty:

To prevent a lot of "Oh, I already have that" I'll list the indie games I have:

-Aquaria! :tup::woohoo::clap:

-Ben There, Dan That :yep:

-Darwinina

-World of Goo

-Gish

-Wonderful End of the World:tmeh:

I'm sure I have more but I can't remember them, and I intend to try out the Blackwell and Nouti Love games soon!

Plug me! I need mah fix!:(

when is something considered indie?

is "On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness" game considered indie? if so, you should try that one.

although quite old, TubeTwist was a lot of fun

I guess anything not made by a well known company would be indie-ish enough for me?

Although stuff like the Penny Arcade or Strong Bad games are hard to not know about...:erm:

I still need to play Aquaria (waiting for the widescreen/map patch) and Dave Gilbert's work (no excuses :getmecoat).

TIGSource (not linking atm because the main site is down in lieu of some disturbing catgirls) is usually good at following independent games, as is Indiegames blog.

A few short recommendations from recent memory:

Noitu Love 2: Like Gunstar Heroes as a mouse-driven beat-em-up.

Nanobots: Cute adventure game about a group of nanobots teaming up to escape a bedroom.

Iji: If an Epic Games DOS shooter actually had a well-told story.

Rescue the Beagles: Arcade game about navigating through three planes of plateaus.

Gun Mute: A text adventure where you play as a mute gunslinger that manages to have more personality than most game heroes.

This is a Cry for Help: A collection of Edmund McMillen's games (the guy who made Gish).

Immortal Defense: A trippy tower defense game with a philosophical story.

Fedora Spade: Phoenix Wright as a retro noir detective story.

Edited by Noyb

when is something considered indie?

is "On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness" game considered indie? if so, you should try that one.

although quite old, TubeTwist was a lot of fun

Yes, it is. Indie is pretty much games without major publisher support. You could say there's two main types:

a) the starving artist indie (Aquaria, World of Goo, The Shivah), who typically make the game on their own savings and own time. These games are made by a tiny team (5 or less people) and have a more Auteuristic feel to it.

B) the more organized indie (Penny Arcade, Telltale, Castle Crashers) who have a formalized studio system. These titles have higher budgets, but they're made with smaller teams reminiscent of the 90s. The marketing machine for these is not as high.

Still, both find alternative forms of funding and make unique quirky titles.

You should play the demo for Gesundheit. It'll come out one day, but it's pretty cool so far: http://www.underwaterbase.com/. It's definitely in group a).

A couple of others are Kudos 2 and Multiwinia (the multiplayer version of darwinia). Oh, and braid!

I thought Braid was banned from indiedom after Jonathan Blow was seen wearing suspenders and a top-hat.

I seriously hope that doesn't happen.

Indie goodness, in the "fucking left of lieft-field" kind of way:

www.auntiepixelante.com

As far as I can tell she coined the terms demake and masocore :tup:

I assume "masocore" are hardcore gamers that play games that are super frustrating?:erm:

I assume "masocore" are hardcore gamers that play games that are super frustrating?:erm:

Masocore; games that fuck with existing conventions and sometimes use death as a form of progress rather than failure.

Whenever www.tigsource.com comes back up, an excellent place to start would be their "50 Great Indie Games" article. While it may not be everyone's exact definition (because that's what lists like that are supposed to be???), it is a generally great list of games which are worth checking out.

If like intelligent, well-written adventure games, then I have to recommend Dave Gilbert...

The Shivah

The Blackwell Legacy

Blackwell Unbound

Also, there's a site video blog type thing called Bytejacker, which I've just been introduced to. It looks pretty professional, too. (Am I the only attracted to Erin Robinson?)

Is the Shivan game harder if you don't know anything about the Jewish religion?:erm:

Thanks, guys! Between Bytejacker, TIGsource (when it's back) and your recommendations I have quite a plateful now, but that doesn't mean you should stop pluggin'! :gaming: