toblix

Half-Life 2: Episode 3

Yeah, it should still work if you open in web browser steam://install/92 and you need to have Steam client open.

17 hours ago, Jake said:

Half Life 2 episode 2 is probably the best piece of Half Life 2 content that Valve made. It ends on a cliffhanger but also: it's an amazing game moment to moment and as a complete chapter of a story.

Definitely! I agree more with what you said than what I said.

There are parts of Laidlaw's outline that say "exciting video game setpiece goes here" to really bring out those moment-to-moment strengths of the prior games. It seems like Laidlaw did everything he could do to get the team excited and I wonder why it didn't catch on.

I'm a little frustrated that the G-Man's role is perpetually to be a deus ex machina and that he never had a narrative purpose beyond that, to be honest. I'd written off Half-Life as a going concern years ago so I didn't really feel much in the way of catharsis.

I'm happy that those who feel differently to me can take this as the closure they needed, though. I appreciate closure.

4 hours ago, Merus said:

I'm a little frustrated that the G-Man's role is perpetually to be a deus ex machina and that he never had a narrative purpose beyond that, to be honest.

Half Life 3 would have you playing as Alyx, with G-Man as your snarky, ever-present NPC companion.

It did feel weirdly cathartic reading the Epistle, even though it didn't really tell us anything we couldn't have guessed or didn't know already: grieving for Eli, they go find the Borealis in Antartica, fight Combine forces and (as with the first two main games) get a big trippy, mechanics-changing bit at the end before being put in stasis.