Sign in to follow this  
DanJW

Penny Arcade Adventures

I just finished the short demo.

It has potential. The 2D art is great, the 3D - well it's not the best cell-shading I've seen, not sure why they didn't try for something closer to the actual comic with that. I got used to it though. I like the lovecraftian steampunk type setting they've gone for.

The sound is good, although I got a bit tired of the narrator. Seems he's only there for the tutorial though.

The writing isn't Tycho's best, but perhaps he gets warmed up futher in. Also the narrator (above) made it difficult to appreciate the heavy irony in the, um, narration. The little pop-up notes from looking at objects made me laugh though.

The gameplay... well it's nice and smooth. The adventure game exploration part works fine but sometimes slips into pixel-hunting (that brought back memories!) The combat is pretty nice, they seem to have hit the right level of streamlined final-fantasy style turn-based RPG wossname, with some kind of integrated quick-time events for special moves. The enemies and their animations promise more amusing fights to come. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with boss fights,

All in all, looks like it could be a thoroughly pleasant diversion.

So far I'm really enjoying the game. It's also interesting to note that there's not really a "game over' in the game. You can continue the game after you lost a fight as if the fight didn't happen.

The only thing missing are voices for the characters.

tbh I'm really glad that Tycho and Gabe don't have voices. Whatever they sounded like, it would sound wrong.

I bought it straight away. I think I've played it pretty near to the end now, and it's been really great. Really appeals to my sense of humour and I think they've found real several real, usable ways of improving gameplay like this. They've managed to remove a whole bunch of small annoyances.

Just finished episode 1 (took me 6+ hours), looking forward to episode 2.

Hey pretty good! :tup:

Wasn't really planning to get this, but I found myself with 20 bucks and some time to kill. I think it worked well overall and I will be following this series from now on.

Some minor annoyances were:

• The characters' pathfinding ability (or lack thereof) when negotiating around objects on the streets
  • Searching everywhere for 2 pieces of scrap metal that turned out to be just off camera (found this out on the 5th visit back to the Shithole looking for them in one room), and
  • The game freezing up in the middle of a combat sequence. To be fair, it only happened once, but it was still grating.

That aside, it was quite enjoyable.

Yeah, I played the demo and I'll probably pick it up. I loved how your custom character also appeared in the 2-D animation as well. Combat was simple enough. I liked that they included the button-punching blocks and specials FF8-style. Art in the demo was decent, but the first street was a little bland.

By the way, did anyone roll a 20 on the die on the table from the Bureau screen...

Yes :). I'm pretty sure I rolled a 22 once, as well. Not sure if that makes sense.

why? what happens when you roll 20?

ps, that damn fruit fucker got out of the glass prison thingy, don't know where it went to

edit: erm... ok, that is a "d'oh", the fruit fucker escapes when you roll 20

the glass is broken and the fruit fucker is gone, not scraps... must be an escape

or a teleportation