Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

Download new NIN album for free

Thanks for the tip.

In case somebody missed it, the first part of Ghosts is also available for download.

EDIT: still waiting for the email..

I've listened to The Slip twice now and it's growing on me.

The first half seems fairly disposable, non-challenging 'pop' NIN. The second half is much darker and more interesting though -- really like the last 4 or 5 tracks a lot already. :tup:

In case somebody missed it, the first part of Ghosts is also available for download.

EDIT: still waiting for the email..

Ah, cheers for that, Nappi.

And I had the email thing too. It took more than an hour for it to turn up, in which time I'd torrented it anyway. :shifty:

However, I've used my download token at work this morning anyway, so I've got a copy here too. (And I want to help with their marketing stuff by using the token anyway.)

Yeah.. Got the email about 3 hours later, at which point I had already torrented the mp3 version. Used the token to download the Apple lossless.

Been playing this whilst studying for an exam so I haven't been able to focus on the album too much, but I like the more minimalistic approach (compared to The Downward Spiral, for example) of the latest Nine Inch Nails releases.

And Echoplex is superb!

Enjoyed Ghosts, but have struggled with The Slip.

Much preferred the last album NiN released but I'll give The Slip another couple of listens before I write it off. Have loved Nine Inch Nails for years so it annoys me when I don't enjoy an album.

Enjoyed Ghosts, but have struggled with The Slip.

Much preferred the last album NiN released but I'll give The Slip another couple of listens before I write it off. Have loved Nine Inch Nails for years so it annoys me when I don't enjoy an album.

I'm finding the more I listen to The Slip, the more I'm liking it. The second half is still definitely the better though.

Now I need to get hold of all their stuff pre-Year Zero and see if that's even better. I suspect it is, but the only track I've really listened to from then is Something I Can Never Have... which is a bit wrist-slitty and emo for me nowadays. :shifty:

For some reason pretty much all I listened to in March was The Downward Spiral, so this comes at a good time. Cheers, man.

Now I need to get hold of all their stuff pre-Year Zero and see if that's even better. I suspect it is, but the only track I've really listened to from then is Something I Can Never Have... which is a bit wrist-slitty and emo for me nowadays. :shifty:

The one called 'With hands and teeth' I thought was pretty weak but before that I would recommend 'The Fragile' a double album that has a lot more of Trent Reznor doing dirty electronic and guitar based ambient mixed in with crowd pleaser '*fuckers' a thinly veiled attack at media whores like Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson. My personal favourite of his.

Broken and Fixed are both good little EPs and worth chceking out. The Downward spiral is excellent but verges on some of the emo things that you might not like. The remix album Further Down the Spiral fares a little better with some really good Aphex Twin mash ups that have very little (if anything) to do with the original songs.

Pretty Hate Machine is alright but I have a problem with too much synth in songs and that album suffers accordingly.

Thanks, twmac.

I picked up the whole NIN back catalogue last night (:shifty:) and am listening to The Downward Spiral at the moment. I'm thinking NIN's electronica-focussed tracks are definitely more to my tastes than the rest.

Next up, Pretty Hate Machine.

I picked up the whole NIN back catalogue last night (:shifty:)

I'm not sure if releasing The Slip for free was intended as bait, but I have to admit this is the first time I've listen to NIN since high school and I'm going into the back catalog too.

..the lyrics are still :shifty:

Also, just as an aside. I highly recommend the Natural born Killers soundtrack as curated by Trent reznor.

It is a little like listening to the 'All back to mine' series as it seems that Trent is just sticking a bunch of tunes that he likes varying between Patti Smith, the obligatory NIN tracks, Leonard Cohen and errr L7.

Downward Spiral era is still the best for me, but I'm happy to give The Slip a decent listen. The Fragile eventually grew on me, for example.

Fixed is all remixes, isn't it?

And what's wrong with L7?!? They rocked back in their day! (They're a little soft today, I admit.)

The Fragile was the album that I felt had the most depth to it. I listen to that one even now.

Sorry, wasn't dissing L7 (pretend that we're dead is a favourite of mine), just surprised in Trent's choices.

NIN have released another batch of free music, this time a sampler from their new Lights in the Sky tour:

we are pleased to offer a free EP featuring songs from the talented group of artists who will be supporting us on the lights in the sky tour this summer.

the EP contains five high quality, DRM-free, fully-tagged MP3 files from a place to bury strangers, does it offend you, yeah?, crystal castles, deerhunter, and nine inch nails. your download will also include cover art and a pack of digital extras.

Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but the line-up's good.