Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Alliance and Leicester are Shit

Nobody ever, ever use this bank. They tried to charge me £400 for a 98p overdraft (which at the time the overdraft was made, was allowed on my account). This £400 charge, apparently, did not include admin fees even though that's all it fucking was. The reason my account was overdrawn in the first place was because nobody could pay me into my account because they provided me with a 9 digit long account number without explaining to me how I am supposed to take off the first digit of that number if I ever want to use it for some reason because that makes sense doesn't it.

They charge £5 a day for every day you're overdrawn, as if that's going to help your financial situation.

I'm totally pissed off. I got my money back but I'm closing my account with them. And I advise nobody else to ever go near this bank. No other bank, as far as I'm aware, has quite such fucking ridiculous overdraft charging policies. £5 a fucking day? Fuck off. You money-grabbing cunts.

I was reading about one guy who had £1200 of nothing but "administration fees", despite not having used his account.

Christ I couldn't shoot someone.

All banks are shit. Although I saw a hilarious comment on the web today saying the person would consider moving their account to Northern Rock once it goes nationalised, since a bank without fucking greedy evil shareholders and profit-hungry managers will be a breath of fresh air.

Yeah, you hear some rotten things about the banking world. Fucking leechers.

Myself, I'm with the Postbank (Dutch, obviously). We have a nice agreement; I don't dick around with them, and they leave me alone. Haven't had any problems with them in my entire life. Even when you're in the red, they only charge a very small percentage every quarter or so.

All banks are shit, but right now I honestly believe that Alliance & Leicester are the shittest. Most banks have a limit on what they can charge you for going overdrawn, which is something like £100 plus whatever you've overdrawn. Yes that's shit, but it's not as shit as getting a letter through your door one day saying that they've decided to charge you £420 plus admin fees because they're the biggest cunts and they are going to try and rape you.

I can see they really value their customers. I'd like to get my hands on the guy that decided to charge £5 a day - I'd like to stab his fucking face until his skull caves in.

Grrr I'm going to go play pokemon now. I wonder if we can become number 1 google result for pokemon stab. pokemon stab anyone?

there's a test case going through the courts now on what banks are allowed to charge for various fees. You know that bob was able to get about £1000 back in reclaimed fees by threatened legal action right? Have a search for consumer interests groups.

Give them a break. They have to make a profit to survive. It's not like they're sitting on a shitload of money. :shifty:

I'm still kind of wondering why the $500 paycheque I deposited into my Bank of Montreal account a fucking month ago has yet to have more than $100 clear on it. As well as the one of about equal value that I deposited last week. 5 business days my ass, I need to pay off my fucking credit card.

...pokemon stab.

For someone who was about to be charged £400, you actually seem to be taking it pretty well. I get all riled up about $40, which as the same, appeared to be in my account. Online banking is trickery. You must still write everything down I guess. I haven't done that since I first opened my account like a good little boy.

I like how they are called something foreboding like "administration fees" instead of in the United States we have the ever-cheerful-to-fuck-you-over "overdraft protection fees." That's for protecting my debt by adding more debt I guess?

I've found Lloyds TSB okay, but only because I check the balance regularly and keep it in my head. I've not heard of anywhere that has reasonable seeming charges. POKEMON STAB!

It gets annoying that card and paypal payments only show up online 3 - 5 days after they're made, so I have to keep a tally of them in my head, though it will show "available balance" alongside balance if a payment is about to go out.

Other greedy fuckers that annoy me:

Royal mail charging an admin fee of £8 on top of £3.50 VAT ¬¬

That's kind of trvial in comparison to DHL though. They say that, according to "new regulations" they have to add postage fees to the total for duty when importing something to the UK (When no other courier or postal service I've used recently does that...). They then took the total in USD and treated it as GBP, then invoiced me for a fee that's about 85% the value of what was in the box. Cunts. I'm not paying them until they chase me, explain themselves, and sort out their own fuckup. It smells fishy that the invoice came a month after the parcel was delivered, mentioned but didn't explain or reference the "new regulations" that compel them to do something that other carriers don't, and says "IMMEDIATE PAYMENT REQUIRED" in red on the top.

But I am happy, because I have found alt+L types ¬ on a mac.

¬¬

It gets annoying that card and paypal payments only show up online 3 - 5 days after they're made, so I have to keep a tally of them in my head, though it will show "available balance" alongside balance if a payment is about to go out.

That is exactly my problem right there. It is my fault in the end, but if I can't see an accurate representation of my available balance, even though not all of it's available, it just seems sort of silly to blame me. I usually use the explanation on the phone that I thought the money was going to be there until my next deposit and they usually let up. Although last time they said was my last.

So do I (although less communist).

Mine just started with a load of new fees 6 months ago. I asked them why it's necessary to charge me in places I wasn't charged before such as an automatic withdrawal from my savings when my checking goes over and they said, "Well any other bank and you'd pay three times as much." It's like those service fees and convenience fees that exist for the enormous processing power you absorb for doing a simple computing any time you have to pay ticketmaster because you want to see some Clearchannel band or you favorite band happens to be playing at a Clearchannel venue.

this thread is going a long way to explaining why i was so suicidal just before i quit my bank job. there's just no love.

also there were no windows and 5 security doors between me and a cigarette at all times :(

I use NatWest but I agree that all banks are <insert nasty name here>.

Last I heard was the Officer of Fair Trading was taking the banks to the courts over their charges and/or had won a court battle over their charges.

On another note, pokemon stab.

Only 8 pokemon stab places to go until this thread hits the top spot.

Also, hurray for banks loading exchange rates to take a cut, then also levying foreign transaction fees on top.