Sign in to follow this  
toblix

I hate it when...

...you found something in a game that takes time to investigate, like an object with a mark, or a book or letter that needs to be read, but the moment you start examining it you get a message describing the most essential thing about the item, or they guy says "So, I guess whatever the fuck this thing means blablabla".

Amirite?

No, I don't mean books that you can't actually read, but books that you can read, and that hold some clue, but that the "discovery trigger" fires right when you open it for the first time, never actually letting you discover the things for yourself. Come on, almost every game does this!

I can't really think of an instance when I was particularly bothered by it. Do you have some specifics of your own?

you know what i hate more? when you have a problem to solve, say for example you have to break through a wall or something, and you have an item in your inventory that would according to logic to the job for you, say a hammer, but you cant use it. instead you have to search the fucking room for, i dunno, a toothpick or something.

Yeah, but that's almost a clich... what the fuck?! I can't write this letter anymore: é. I had to copy it from the fucking character map! What's wrong with my computer?!

I know what you mean Toblix. It has bothered me a little, but not a huge amount. It would be nice if we got use our own brain to solve puzzles a bit more. Silent Hill 2 was good for this kind of thing... too good in fact. I couldn't be bothered to work out some of the puzzles when set to hard. I guess that's what the game designers are afraid of.

But yes it is nice when you work something out and get rewarded for it, rather than just triggering a cut-scene that tells you what the character has discovered.

Right. Where was I?

over there, in the corner

:tommy:

And he was outside, jumping on a couch to reach Xenu

Yeah, this bothered me in The Witcher, where you'd start reading a book, then a notification about a quest update or somesuch immediately popped up, which often was a differently worded summary of the book's contents, but sometimes not.

It took me about a dozen replies before I actually understood what was being initially described