ysbreker

audiosurf: Holy funk!

I'm appalled with the internet. Not a single Leonard Cohen song I've tried yet has resulted in any name other than my own on the leaderboards. Why are there other listings for bands from Calgary that draw blank stares from so many people (Beija Flor, Hot Little Rocket, Tokyo Police Club, etc) but nothing for LEONARD FREAKING COHEN???

Bah! Uncultured *mumble mumble mumble...* :getmecoat

Maybe Leonard Cohen just isn't the first thing that comes to mind when you are trying to pick a good song for a rythm game.

or something..

The Future & Waiting for the Miracle both have scores from me in the Elite section :tup:

so with insomnia apparently creeping back, I decided to start playing this again. obscure time signatures and key changes are confusing.

Man, this game stole over 80 hours of life in last 2 months. I started playing it just before the update hapened and I have to say, it really ads aditional level of skill.

Edited by Sleepdance

This is another of those games, like Lumines, that just totally goes over my head. I really don't "get it" at all.

Lumines I just don't get either, not beyond the superficial "it's a block puzzle set to music." Having played it for several hours, it just became mechanical and automatic - and therefore boring - for me.

But Audiosurf I can really get why that might hold people's interest. It's a really interesting premise, having the game generate play from your choice of music. It's really appealing to me, yet I've always neglected to grab the demo and actually try the thing... which I've just tried to do twice and Steam's spurned me both times. :hmph:

I did that for about 10 times, when steam didn't support my credit card and then bougt it in Indie games pack for about 3 euros(that means 27.4 euros/hour and growing).

Lumines I just don't get either, not beyond the superficial "it's a block puzzle set to music." Having played it for several hours, it just became mechanical and automatic - and therefore boring - for me.

But Audiosurf I can really get why that might hold people's interest. It's a really interesting premise, having the game generate play from your choice of music. It's really appealing to me, yet I've always neglected to grab the demo and actually try the thing... which I've just tried to do twice and Steam's spurned me both times. :hmph:

Well I've played Lumines for hours and just never really got anywhere, or even felt as though I was improving, or even understood where the strategy lay... Maybe I'm just crap at it?

Audiosurf, though, I get the idea of why it could be fun, but in reality the level generated bears very little to the song that's being played... so it may as well just be a randomly generated level with Windows Media Player in the background. The gameplay seemed pretty random, too. Plus, what with every song the universe being available, it's not like you can even take satisfaction in comparing scores with your friends. Nope, just don't get it.

Seriously get it.

[Audiosurf's] gameplay seemed pretty random. Plus, what with every song the universe being available, it's not like you can even take satisfaction in comparing scores with your friends.

I thought the idea on the community/friend side of things was to experiment with your song collection and recommend tracks you found particularly fun/challenging?

And, as Sleepdance points out, there's an online scoreboard in place, too.

I thought the idea on the community/friend side of things was to experiment with your song collection and recommend tracks you found particularly fun/challenging?

That's news to me. Is there even a "recommend track" function in the game? I know there's a scoreboard, but frankly, it's just reading the name/track of the MP3, which surely means it's easy to game? (Just find a track you're good at and rename it.)

You should pick it up and see what you think. It might have improved given what people are saying about strategy.

(Also re: Lumines -- I checked a few online videos out and apparently the single strategy in the game is so connect as many coloured squares together as you can. No, I don't mean blocks, I mean just getting them to be as separated as possible -- there's a special block that comes along that wipes out adjoining blocks of the same colour, which apparently equals combo city.)

That's news to me. Is there even a "recommend track" function in the game? I know there's a scoreboard, but frankly, it's just reading the name/track of the MP3, which surely means it's easy to game? (Just find a track you're good at and rename it.)

I believe it's based on more than just the name of the track; at the very least it takes in to account the length of the song. Also, when you look at someone else's score, it shows the path of the song they played (ie the pattern of hills and valleys). If it doesn't match everyone else's path, you can report them.

If it doesn't match everyone else's path, you can report them.

Audiosnitch, a game in itself. :shifty:

I finally got Steam to send me the demo last night and it seems OK. I haven't tried it with my own music yet, but the included track seemed very skittish and badly paced in places; great expanses of just a few blocks, then suddenly loads of blocks all bunched together.

The placement of blocks doesn't seem to be on the beat to me either--or even on downbeats or breaks. I couldn't move across the track fast enough at even the modestly busy parts, either. :frusty:

I'll try it again with a few of my favourite bits of music and see if that makes it any more fun.

Some songs are better than others. I've found that music with strong drumbeats or staccato notes tends to be recognised better. In any case, focus less on the placement of the boxes with respect to the notes and more on the way that the speed and intensity of the gameplay matches the rhythm of the music.

Not many people know that you can get free Orange box soundtrack with Audiosurf. Just go: -steam-steamapps-common-audiosurf-engine-orange box soundrack- and you must copy it, not extract. Enjoy in your free but legaly paid OB sountrack.

Edit: And it works for demo too.

I'm appalled with the internet. Not a single Leonard Cohen song I've tried yet has resulted in any name other than my own on the leaderboards. Why are there other listings for bands from Calgary that draw blank stares from so many people (Beija Flor, Hot Little Rocket, Tokyo Police Club, etc) but nothing for LEONARD FREAKING COHEN???

Bah! Uncultured *mumble mumble mumble...* :getmecoat

I just noticed, apparently, no one (in the history of the world) has played "Cathy's Clown" by the Everly Brothers on Mono Pro. I'm all, Say Whaaaa? In fact, the only songs so far that I've played which had other people on the leaderboard were from Michael Jackson's Off the Wall (granted I've only just started playing).

@GrouchoClub

Sometimes happened the same thing to me, but I figured out that if you have just one letter written in diffrent way in name of the song or artist game recognises it like another song.

@GrouchoClub

Sometimes happened the same thing to me, but I figured out that if you have just one letter written in diffrent way in name of the song or artist game recognises it like another song.

Yeah, I realized that too after I made my post.

On totally diffrent topic, how can almost no one of our hardcore PC gamers not even once play at least one of Idle Thumbs songs? I swear I'm on top of elite scoreboard for every IT song(correct me if I'm wrong).

...It makes me feel really depressed.

On totally diffrent topic, how can almost no one of our hardcore PC gamers not even once play at least one of Idle Thumbs songs? I swear I'm on top of elite scoreboard for every IT song(correct me if I'm wrong).

...It makes me feel really depressed.

I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE!

But don't expect anything great from me. I haven't played very much.

FUCK! A minute away from Stealth Master, and an involuntary hand twitch made me hit a gray block.

Also:

patters is riding strapping young lad

Heh.