miffy495

The Backlog

Yeah, I was pretty shocked to see Prince of Persia 3D on there. Sands of Time, sure, but 3D??? Why?

Could be worse, could have been Warrior Within.

Lol! Because I love PoP. I've played and completed PoP1, and I've played and got stuck on PoP2 (add that to the backlog). Before I played Sands of Time, I wanted to check out PoP3D, especially as it's still a Jordon Mechner game and it actually got mostly decent reviews.

I wouldn't call 3D a Jordan Mechner game. I believe he helped come up with the story and that was it (if even that) -- he didn't write the entire thing himself like he did Sands of Time.

("Jordan Mechner games", for reference: Karateka, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia 2, The Last Express, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.) :shifty:

Hooray for progress! It's been something of a banner week for clearing out games I've been meaning to complete. Tuesday: Uncharted, Wednesday: Super Mario Galaxy, Thursday: Mass Effect, Friday: went out, Saturday: Assassin's Creed. Holy crap it feels good to get all those done. Not that playing them wasn't a pleasure, they were all very good games, it's just that I was sick of having them hanging over my head. It had gotten to the point where though I really want to buy No More Heroes, I just couldn't justify it while I still had all that to play. Now the only problem is that I still can't get No More Heroes until I get paid on Friday. And that whole school thing I guess. Papers coming due over the next few weeks. Maybe I should wait until Reading Week.

Oh well, getting sidetracked. The point here was celebration! Not only have I taken 4 big name (and very well received) games off the backlog, but my gamerscore on XBL has skyrocketed as a result. One more thing that I did tonight was beat the hall of fame induction in the Band World Tour on Rock Band with my roommates. Two playing on Expert, two on Medium. I don't know if that should really count, as I will definitely keep playing Rock Band, but it is a fifth set of credits I've watched roll.

One last side note: What the hell was up with the end of Assassin's Creed? Weird boss fight aside, that's about as extreme example of a cliffhanger as I can imagine. How long was that game in development? Cliffhangers only on episodic games, please. If I'm not going to be able to find out how the story ends in a few months, wrap up enough that it's not just frustrating. Loose ends in the story are expected. Always want to leave room for a sequel. This one was like the ending from HL2 episode 2 happening with no announcement or certainty of HL2 episode 3. Dammit, I want some narrative resolution here!

Woo-hoo! Way to go on that clearing out of the backlog, miffy!

I, on the other hand, have adopted the "embrace and extend" strategy to my backlog. That is, instead of fighting it, I simply acknowledge the backlog as a fellow living, breathing entity and allow it to grow and grow as it wishes. So, instead of finishing a bunch of games, I have, as of late, been starting new ones with wild abandon and put forth no effort whatsoever into finishing other games! Go me!

My backlog was on the verge of having a life of its own, so I figured it was time to put a stop to it before I needed to start feeding and caring for it. On that note, I still do have two games that I want to finish before I move on, both on Wii. I think I'll be putting some time into Zack and Wiki today before I leave for my soccer game, and then Metroid Prime 3 when I have time over the next week or so. This won't clear out the backlog completely by any means, but I will have gotten through all of the major 2007 releases that I wanted to play, so that's way better than nothing.

This is inspiring me to get strict and force myself to sit down and play some games! :tup:

I like the idea of feeling like the lord of the backlog has been appeased (at least for a while).

My backlog is ridiculous... Specially since I recently got a PSP and I'm still trying to play catch up with all the game that I've missed... Why do people keep saying the PSP has no good games?

I was lucky enough to beat Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters and Ape Escape P this weekend, but now most of my backlog are longer games for PC, PS2 or PSP...

Actually, I'm working on Vice City Stories as well right now. Closing shifts at work usually involve two hours where there's nothing to do but wait for a movie to end so I can lock the doors. Good time for some PSP gaming.

I usually avoid coming into discussions like this, as it invariably reminds me of the embarrassing number of games I've spent my limited funding on and have consummately failed to complete.

I'll need to pour over the list a while and publish it in a bit.

It's terrible to think of the number of games I've got that I've even yet to PLAY. Not good. I should get through them all before I think about buying something new, really.

Pretty much exactly my dilemma. Getting pretty close to the end of Metroid Prime: Corruption now, I think. I've been finding energy cells as I go and have 8 of 9 of them. Is that enough to beat the game or do you need them all? I should be able to wrap up

the Space Pirate homeworld

and hopefully a few hours of whatever comes after that tomorrow night. Who knew that having to wait a month for a cheque to clear would be so good for gaming?