Sign in to follow this  
elmuerte

Fully ramblomatic reviewer releases game

Unfortunately, Knytt Stories and anything Knytt related is no longer in development. The creator was working on something expansive for that but, well, stopped.

The poorly designed control systems saps the game of its graphical and aural charms if you ask me. I tried completing the first level a couple of times and gave up in frustration at having to remember the convoluted button presses required.

This could easily be rectified with a context-sensitive - and therefore minimalist - control system. I want to like it, but can't as it is.

you're both wrong, it's great.

What's so good about context-sensitivity, anyway?

Pet peeve.

There are shitloads of moves you can acquire, and if you like stealth, you'll like this.

If you pressed up against a wall, you'd flatten against it; in front of a door, you'd go through it; in front of a switch, you'd operate it.

There's absolutely no need to have individual button presses for each of these -- it's needless and infuriating. And, as you pick up new abilities, you can augment your actions using new button combinations then.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, I'm saying the control system could be better and more fluid.

Haven't played this yet, but the other Trilby games are all cool and worth playing.

Fun fact: When Yahtzee was writing for Adventure Developers I always used to confuse him for Kingzjester, who did some art for that site back when I was helping run it.

If you pressed up against a wall, you'd flatten against it; in front of a door, you'd go through it; in front of a switch, you'd operate it.

won't work. you want to be flat against the wall even in cases where other options are available

anyway, the more logical controls would be:

up = climb up (currently space)

down = climb down (currently down+space)

space = action (currently up)

z = zap

x = wall

c = crouch

It was just an off-the-cuff example of context-sensitive design in general, not an absolute solution. And, although you make some good points, I still think it could be rationalised further given enough test cases.

I really want to design games for a living... :\

I also didn't like the controls very much. Nowadays, I'd expect a bit smoother controls from platformer type games. Only played the tutorial and a bit of the first level so far, so I'm not giving a final verdict yet.

Haven't played this yet, but the other Trilby games are all cool and worth playing.

Fun fact: When Yahtzee was writing for Adventure Developers I always used to confuse him for Kingzjester, who did some art for that site back when I was helping run it.

Another fun fact: me and Kingzjester were working on a 3D remake of 5 Days a Stranger (the first Trilby game) some time ago, using the Deus Ex engine. We didn't finish it, though. Now some other team is trying to do a remake of it using the Source engine: http://fivedaysastranger.com/

Yeah, the controls are meh, but like, um, so what? I'm tough, I'm strong, I'm the gaming equivalent of an apex predator. The buttons don't scare me. Anyway, it's kept me amused for the five levels or so that I've completed and from what I played of the sixth the difficulty is ramping up considerably. It's just a shame that I feel like I've almost finished it.

Blech, I take it back, I'm not going to finish it. Levels 6 and 7 are nothing but lessons in frustration.

No mid-level saves and the use of a maths problem as a "puzzle" at the beginning of level 6 is rubbish.

And wtf is that boss all about? Its a stealth game until the *very* end. Why?

I started playing this again. Finished 5 heists so far, the 6th one is quite frustrating. Even a restart option that wouldn't kick you out of the level and reset the math puzzle would help here.

The concept is cool, but as I already said earlier based on very little play time, smoother (and simpler) controls would help a lot. It takes too much time to start moving in another direction. If you miscalculate a step and get seen by a camera, it's very difficult to quickly step back. I guess the AGS engine is quite limiting for this type of games, being more suited for point'n'click.

you're both wrong, it's great.

Pet peeve.

There are shitloads of moves you can acquire, and if you like stealth, you'll like this.

woah baconian where the fuck have you been? :)

woah baconian where the fuck have you been? :)

Not in a thread that's nearly one year old I'd imagine.