toblix

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

What, no thread on the first page about this game? Have you all got it? What do you think? So far my impressions are:

• The control system is pretty awesome. While it's not perfect, it's almost perfect compared to similar systems I've tried. I always feel like I'm in control, and Link (or whatever) always responds like I intended.
  • The stylus sometimes gets in the way, but not annoyingly much.
  • The dungeons I've played so far are great. It seems there'll be an element of backtracking I'm not sure what I think about, though. We'll see.
  • Although the graphics work much better than I thought when I saw the trailer, I still think the island and dungeon parts would've looked tons better with Minish Cap style 2D graphics. The 3D sailing parts work, though.
  • Sailing is fucking boring. I seem to remember this being hailed as an awesome improvement over... Wind Waker's (or whatever it was) sailing. If that game had more boring sailing than Phantom Hourglass, I... no, I can't believe someone would publish a game with more useless sailing sequences than Phantom Hourglass.
  • The notes scribbling on the map thing is cool. It's awesome that the notes are actually displayed while you're playing too, so that you can follow drawn paths and shit.
  • I have having to shout into the microphone. Blowing is okay, shouting is just embarrassing.

Controls are sometimes a bit annoying, that rolling dash thing is very difficult. And sometimes Link jumps off a cliff because I didn't point it good enough.

Well, the problem with touch screens is that you are always in the way of what you're looking at.

The sailing is indeed a bit boring, it's also a bit annoying that the camera doesn't rotate. But so far (currently on the gusty island) I like the game.

Haven't had to shout anything yet, just blowing. If you ask me they could have left that part out. Just like the annoying blowing to fill up baloons in Mario Kart. Geez.

So far it's on my top 3 NDS games ;)

The shouting bit isn't bad, you can just tap the microphone with your thumb and it works just as well

The blowing bit is awesome though. For some reason I love it.

Yeah, I like a good bit of blowing every now and then too. :tup:

mega_sref.jpg

So, hint time:

I've gotten the third piece of the map, and two of the three...

...rare metals.

I got the ones from the...

Goron island...

...and the

ice island.

In addition to these two, I've discovered the...

...digging game island...

...where I...

lost 3000 rupees...

...and am now...

...banned from,...

...and the...

...Dee Ess island,...

...which seemed really...

...weird and pointless.

So, where do I go now? I thought maybe I had to...

..."find" the third island,...

...but I've...

...sailed everywhere.

What do I do?

You want to go to the island that's protected by tornadoes in the NE portion of the map. To do this, you need to visit a pyramid on the most NE island to get an item to dispel the storms. Sort of an ancient Egyptian themed series of dungeons awaits you.

Actually, it's kind of weird. I managed to do the islands out of order, not realizing that I could

break the ice around the ice island

and did the third

rare metal

island second. Whups.

oh, and if you don't have the NE portion of the map yet, head back down to Mercay and deal with your second-last (last of the irritating ones, as next time you can kill those guard fuckers) run through that dungeon for the last map piece.

Hope that helps.

i heart this game. i think its the prettiest thing to have come out on ds as of yet, with the possible exception of animal crossing. but the whole diving off cliffs thing is not fun. after some excessive few pokemon months its nice to use the stylus again. that is all.

Jesus. I took a break from the game for a couple of months. Big mistake. Coming back, I had no fucking idea what in the Hell I was supposed to be doing. So, naturally I assumed I was to head back to that Temple of the King of Repeating Shit, and after wasting ten minutes down there trying to remember where I was supposed to go, I restarted the DS, thinking I'd probably end up at the beginning of the dungeon or something, but no. It turns out that the game isn't actually saved unless you explicitly save it, which I last did way back. So that's it for me and Phantom Hourglass.

They should make a television series about how comical your gaming experiences are, toblix. :tup:

They're not comical, they're just horrible. I guess I shouldn't've assumed the game would save my state for me like that. It was a great game, but not so great I'd rather spend my time playing through a couple of its dungeons twice.

finished it a couple of hours ago, I'm not really satisfied. Didn't really get the feeling I accomplished much.