Sign in to follow this  
n0wak

Guitar Hero III (and demo!)

I recently tried the demo and it was great. Although I didn't have any guitars to fully enjoy it D=, I'll probably rent this soon.

Guitar Hero is indeed great. However the general consensus seems to be that II is better than III. Of course, musically speaking, III does rock mightily, so I'm sure it's still fun.

There's a great interview with one of the co-founders of Harmonix at Playboy:

http://www.playboy.com/magazine/features/video-game-blowout/video-game-blowout5.html

He says that, unlike with the guitar in Guitar Hero, with Rock Band, if you're playing the drums on Expert, you're pretty much playing the drums life in real life. Pretty damned cool!

So should I buy it for the Wii or not? Apparently it's not quite as good as GH2, which I've never played and which isn't available for me anyway. So is it still good?

Just had a chance to download the battle songs. Holy hell are they hard. Took me 2 tries just to clear Morello's battle song, haven't even tried Slash, and I've failed Devil Went Down To Georgia about 6 times now. Having to play the craziness from both sides of the battle is something that caught me off guard, and turned out to be pretty damned tough. But, like any Guitar Hero challenge, God help me I will overcome it!

Finally beat the boss on hard. Finally being able to go into practice mode and wrap my head around some of the tougher riffs without having to deal with the BS of his attacks helped immensely.

Man, this game is so much easier than GHII. I can remember getting 5 gold stars on three songs in GHII, and thought the achievement for 20 gold stars was bat-shit crazy. Last two days, I've got 5 new songs with perfect runs, brining my GHIII perfect run count to 7. At this rate, 20 won't pose nearly as much a challenge as I thought it would. I really hope Rock Band cranks up the difficulty a bit, but it doesn't look like it at the moment. At least the last download pack for GHIII is still brutally hard...

Hmmm? A lot of people seem to be saying that GH3 is harder for all the wrong reasons...? The video you linked to is interesting... do the playlists really overlap?! I think that Rock Band looks like it actually matches the music better?

Hmmm? A lot of people seem to be saying that GH3 is harder for all the wrong reasons...? The video you linked to is interesting... do the playlists really overlap?! I think that Rock Band looks like it actually matches the music better?

Apparently Rock Band's timing is tighter than GH III: http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-review-rock-band-54901.phtml

That wouldn't be hard to pull off really. GHIII is harder in that there's a lot more notes and they don't always sync up with the music as well as they should. There's also something that they've added that I respect though, that is the fact that there are passages that GHII would have let you do entirely in HO/PO sequences when it's obvious that the real player is plucking certain notes in there. Now you can only hammer and pull on the notes that the actual guitarist would, and need to pluck in the middle of some of those long sequences. This makes the game harder, but you also don't have ridiculous things like nearly the first 25% of Laid To Rest being doable on essentially one strum in GHII.

On another note, now at 10 perfect songs after a very nice run through Even Flow (1047 notes, for those who care) which also netted me an achievement for a 1000 note streak.

Well, GH3 finally came out here in rainy England and I've just stopped playing a three hour session. Impressions? Well... First of all, I'm surprised just how far I've got already. While there does seem to be some bad song timing (the ZZ Top one springs to mind), GH3 is also more forgiving than GH2. As such, I'm already on level six and I've not failed a song yet on Medium.

The second thing I've noticed is that the song selection is GREAT :tup: Rather than it being made up of songs and bands that I've not heard of, here I find myself knowing much more of the songs, and even if I don't know the band, recognizing the song... It's great. Playing Weezer's My Name is Jonas was worth the price of admission alone (almost).

My third impression is what's wrong with GH3: I know it's been said over and over in this thread, but Neversoft don't appear to understand the music. The game looks nice, don't get me wrong, but with GH2 you could feel the love. Here it's all a bit cold, corporate and sometimes embarrassing.

After Tom Morrello's Battle you get to play a classic Rage track... but before it comes on, the "camera" follows a female dancer in some stupidly tight leather pants and a tight top and she starts to dance.

This is RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE here, not KISS! They were a very serious, politically-aware band. Morrello's guitar has "arm the homeless" on it, not "suck my love pump"! Zack Da La Rocha used to write FUCK SEXISM FUCK HOMOPHOBIA FUCK RACISM on his chest... and yet the camera is following this bored, half-assed, no-brained representation of a dancer across the stage... it's so incredibly NOT about the music. If you love Rage, this just feels incredibly inappropriate.

It's not the end of the world, obviously, but it really makes me imagine a bunch of guys in suits, smoking cigars saying, "Hmm, this track is a bit serious isn't it? Let's sex it up a little, eh?".

More evidence of Neversoft "not feeling the love" (if any more is needed) can be easily seen comparing GH2 and GH3's Career path. In GH2 you start off in a college gym, playing to a small crowd. You move to a small club. To a reasonable venue. To a massive venue. To an insane gig at Stonehenge with UFOs. (All, except the last one, rendered with nice, accurate touches of authenticity.) For you and your band, it's all about the music... You've become successful, obviously, but it's all about the live performance.

With GH3 you start off in a trendy winebar (or something weird), move on to what looks like a cross between an MTV video and a stripbar and then, on the third level, you're in a STUDIO, on the back of a fake truck, with smoke machines, filming a music video.

Woah, Neversoft, woah....

Firstly, one of, if not THE most enjoyable thing about Guitar Hero is playing your music to a screaming, adoring crowd... The thrill of the cheer, as it were. Except, on level three we're in corporate land, playing the songs to a director and some guys in suits... What the hell?! The crowd nose is still there... except there's no crowd. It's an oddly hollow experience and I was glad to finish the level and move on.

(Talking about crowds: The first time I got an encore in GH2, it felt great. The crowd kept cheering and then clapping in unison. I felt their love. Oh yes. In GH3 it couldn't be any less exciting if a Windows dialogue box popped up and and said "Play encore? Yes/No". Seriously. There is zero atmosphere.)

Next level: England. A great time to bring out some brilliant British rock acts, eh? Tip the hat to some classic Brit rock! The Who? Iron Maiden? Black Sabbath? Spinal Tap (nudge, nudge)? David Bowie? Led Zeppelin? So many more to choose from and it could all culminate in the specially recorded version of Anarchy in the UK by the Sex Pistols! It would have a nice touch and a cool level...

Instead, we get, Black Sabbath (good start), The Sex Pistols (great), Sonic Youth (huh?), Weezer (what?) culminating with...... PEARL JAM! (wtf?). Why even bother?! I know that GH2 had the Stone Henge level, but that was iconic, this just seems a wasted opportunity.

After this, in the little animations that tell the story of your career, you're accused of "selling out" so you do a gig in a prison to increase your credibility. This could have been REALLY cool. It would have been a perfectly level for some moody, heart-felt blues-ey tunes. The songs could have really made this work, but, as ever, Neversoft don't get the tone, so we get... Scorpions...!? SCORPIONS!?! *sigh*

After the successful prison gig we get another animation... and with this one the ideology behind GH3 is revealed in all its corporate glory: Your band are bored, watching the news, when they're mentioned; Apparently their popularity is up from last week... THANK GOD! They cheer! Yay! Being in a band is like playing the stock market! Yay! As long as we're popular, that's all that matters! Yay! High five! Maybe we'll get that Coke commercial! Yay!

GH3 was not made by music lovers.

Some of the comments between songs, really, truly suck, too.

When it comes down to it, GH2 was a true-to-its-roots, honest to god, all-about-the-music rock band. It was Led Zeppelin. In comparison, GH3 is a corporate assembled and approved rock band... with all the slick production that goes with it. By comparison, it's Hanson.

I'm sure most people won't give a flying monkey's about all this stuff, and they probably don't even notice, either. Overall, it might be humourless, but it's still Guitar Hero and the track-listing is AMAZING. Even the non master recordings sound really really good.

I'll play it. I'll really enjoy it. I'll recommend it to friends. But it won't get my heart.

When it comes down to it, GH2 was a true-to-its-roots, honest to god, all-about-the-music rock band. It was Led Zeppelin. In comparison, GH3 is a corporate assembled and approved rock band... with all the slick production that goes with it. By comparison, it's Hanson.

Best comparison I've heard yet. Well done sir. You've pretty much summed up exactly what needed to be said about the game. Great songs, fun game, just no soul.

Well, just completed it on my second sitting. I even beat the devil on my first go (great idea for a last level, shame the design of the level was so terrible -- It didn't look anything like Hell... What was that animatronic retard doing in the background?). The track listing was perfect, though, all that "classic rock" stuff. (Seems to cross over with Brutal Legend in some ways.)

Not sure what the point of the battles are, though? On Medium they're insanely easy: Collect three powerups, wait for a section with lots of notes and deploy them one after the other (for Slash, just wait until the end).

Anyways, some SUPERB tunes. I'm glad I picked it up! :tup: If GH2 had had the same amount of money behind it, and thus a track listing of similar quality, I probably would have married it.

Thanks for the kind words, Miffy. We'll have to see if Harmonix can recapture the same amount of soul with Rock Band!

I'm not sure if it's some problem with an update, or a patch, or what exactly, but what the hell happened to my scores for my downloaded songs? I started up the game for a bit of play tonight and when I went to select a downloaded song there were no scores there for any of them. This effectively eliminated one of my 5-gold star runs, which was especially irksome. Got it back on my first try (Messages was the song I went in there to play anyway, and as great as it is, it really isn't that hard) but I shudder to think how angry I'd be if it were for something like This Is A Call which I've gotten 99% on, but have had a lot of difficulty hitting that 100% sweet spot. If I'd gotten it after a lot of effort and lost my record of it, I'd be mighty pissed. As is, my downloaded song list now has a 5-gold star run for Messages and a 5 star run for the Halo theme, where it had previously been full of points that have now vanished. Anyone else had their scores erased at random by the game?

(Also, my runs on Ruby, Messages, and Bulls On Parade bring me up to 13 gold star runs. The achievement is in sight!:woohoo: :woohoo: )

From what I've heard the whole resetting of downloadable song scores happens if you download from (or maybe even access?) the download menu within the game. To be on the safe side, if you're going to download something for GH3, do it from the dashboard.

I bought the game on release a week ago and I guess I'm having fun with it, but it's just not the same. As you guys have already said, no soul at all.

Hmmm... Can't believe I'm saying this but... I'm think I'm bored of GH3...

Is it just me?

It's weird, but by having such "great" and recognisable songs, I think I've gotten bored of them quicker. I don't know for sure if that's what it is, but I'm bored either way.

Strange :tdown: