ysbreker

Books!

Since I've got a new job per october first I celebrated by buing some new books! Yay!

I bought the following books:

William Gibson - Spook country

The latest novel by one of the best writers today. I can't wait till I get to read this.

Terry Pratchett - making money

The latests in a very long line of still great books about the famous discworld. This is the second book with Moist von Lipwig and it goes about, you guessed it, making money.

Alastair Reynolds - Zima blue

A collection of short fiction by an author who writes great hard SF. Curious how this collection will be.

Orson Scott Card - Ender's Shadow

Sequel to Enders game. I got Enders game from a colleague when I left my previous job. curious about his ender universe.

Orson Scott Card - Shadow of the Hegemon

Also takes place in the Ender universe so I thought I check it out as well.

Richard Matheson - I am legend

Because you all said it was such a great book I bought this one as well.

So any comments on my bookbuying? Any books I should definately check out?

well... there is this commuting thing I have to do so plenty of time to read then :) And ofcourse there's still reading in bed before you go to sleep :tup:

I read Spook Country when it came out. Not as good as Pattern Recognition IMO (which I thought was Gibson's best since Neuromancer) but still good. :tup:

Terry Pratchett - making money

The latests in a very long line of still great books about the famous discworld. This is the second book with Moist von Lipwig and it goes about, you guessed it, making money.

Pratchett is amazing. Haven't had a chance to read this one yet, but I've enjoyed pretty much all of his prior works. I just read his Johnny Maxwell trilogy, which, like The Amazing Maurice and the Tiffany Aching series, are very entertaining children books that he wrote.

Orson Scott Card - Ender's Shadow

Sequel to Enders game. I got Enders game from a colleague when I left my previous job. curious about his ender universe.

Orson Scott Card - Shadow of the Hegemon

Also takes place in the Ender universe so I thought I check it out as well.

I liked the Shadow (follows older Bean) books better than the Speaker for the Dead (follows older Ender) series. Both were a bit out there, though. The later Bean books focused on political intrigue in the post-Ender's Game universe. The Speaker books had ridiculously hamfisted Christian overtones, and some plot devices that seemed more like magic than sci-fi, although the first one was entertainingly suspenseful.

Jesus how many sequels has he written?

I loved Ender's game, but the (so aptly described by Noyb) christian overtones and magic wish based space travel just annoyed the piss out of me in Speaker and Xenocide.

Are the others worth reading, or comparable to those two?

Amulet of Vichalace is about a woman with a magic pendant, with forces of darkness after it, some want to harm her, some want to help her. Also, werewolves!:woohoo:

I'm more into audiobooks lately, I just listened to Ender's Game last week!:tup:

Spook Country I'm certainly interested in, as I've read pretty much every other novel Gibson's done. Not sure about the Ender's series though; think I'd rather plough my limited reading time into the His Dark Materials books to be honest.

I've finally finished Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. He knows his craft, but the ending was a huge anti-climax for me. Which was a shame as I enjoyed the rest of the book--especially how the past and present narratives complimented each other.

Planning to pick up Cormac McCarthy's The Road next, as I've heard it's one of several books that Bethesda's Fallout 3 team are using as their inspiration.

Yeah, Cryptonomicon has a pretty shitty ending, but even so I can only recommend it. Don't try to read it if you only have half a brain, though.