miffy495

Resident Evil 4 Wii

To me, saving the game means I'm actually safe, I've come one step further, and everything I've done I've put behind me; there are no loose ends.

Sorry to dig up a really old post, but this was my main problem with the pre-4 Resident Evil games. I beat REmake on the easy setting, then decided to try Zero on "normal" or whatever the harder of the two initially available settings was, only to give up after having a really traumatic fight with some centipede things leaving me completely without ammo. In those games you had to use typewriter ribbons each time you wanted to save, so you couldn't habitually save every time you'd achieved something you deemed worthwhile; you had to judge carefully what was actually worthwhile, and what you could bare to do again. The problem with that is that what I'm gambling is my willingness to play the game. Your success at it also depends to a fair degree on your ability to predict the course the game will take, introducing a weird sort of game-design-analysis meta-game. I was OK with the save system in RE4, although I did slightly lament the limited number of slots. I've also often wondered how often people are faced with the situation of saving in a state where they're very poorly prepared for what follows. I'm also reminded of hearing about stuff like people accidentally doubling back during missions with a time limit, passing through an autosave point, and discovering that they've made it impossible to complete the level, and that there's only one save.

I want to play this game, and enjoy playing it, but it's hard getting myself to load it up, and every time I save the game I really want to quit.

That's precisely how I am with Dead Space. It seems pretty great, but I only got about twenty minutes in (over a few sessions) before reaching a save point, letting out an "ohfuckthankgod" sigh of relief, putting it back on the shelf, and resolving to finish everything else first. I guess I'm just a great big coward.

On the subject of the controls, I completed both the GC and Wii versions several times. Both schemes work fine, but I think the Wiimote is easier (either that or I managed to get better at the game); I certainly got a lot further on that mini-game where you have to get a certain amount of points within a time limit, and in which sometimes a horrible beast is unleashed on you and you go to pieces and start blubbing and running away completely without dignity.

My balls are huge, hairy. Why?

I've been playing RE4 every day for the last week. I've made it through the castle and down into a pit. I don't know how close I am, or what kind of horrible shit awaits me, but these chapters are really fucking long. I'm still in 4-1, which I feel I've been for hours.

Oh, and the salesman guy is just ridiculous. I'm in this dank spike pit with rotting bodies impaled and shit, and he just opens his flasher coat at me and goes "what do you want to buy?".

I didn't get into playing Resi 4 again just yet, but I was thinking more about exactly where I got to when I stopped last time:

I got stuck in some sort of lava chamber, with two of those enormous mutants intent on starting their Leon Spam™ franchise with no small amount of urgency.

You could climb up a ladder and then zip line across the chamber. But after about an hour of running around in vain, not being able to hurt them in any way, I gave up at that point.

I seem to remember you could make part of the floor open up, revealing the lava underneath. But I couldn't ever get either of the giants in place so they'd fall in.

Clearly, I am thick. :hmph:

Edited by Wrestlevania

That fight wasn't particularly tough, Wrestle.

The two giants will always walk slowly across the room. So lure them, or one of them, to the ramp until they're almost there, then take the zipwire across and push the button that opens the pit (don't know the exact layout anymore, so it might differ, but the principal is the same). If you do it right, one of the giants will fall into the lava. The other one is dispatched through the judicious use of weaponry.

That fight wasn't particularly tough, Wrestle.

The two giants will always walk slowly across the room. So lure them, or one of them, to the ramp until they're almost there, then take the zipwire across and push the button that opens the pit (don't know the exact layout anymore, so it might differ, but the principal is the same). If you do it right, one of the giants will fall into the lava. The other one is dispatched through the judicious use of weaponry.

See previous. :getmecoat

Jesus, Wrestle. I haven't even gotten that far yet, but that fight doesn't sound very hard!

[quote name=Wrestlevania;104199

I seem to remember you could make part of the floor open up' date=' revealing the lava underneath. But I couldn't ever get either of the giants in place so they'd fall in.

Clearly, I am thick. :hmph:[/quote]

Sounds like you had the right idea, but failed to pull it off. So it's less a matter of being thick and more a matter of lacking skill. The solution is to suck less at games. TURN DOWN THE SUCK KNOB.

Just to be clear: I'm only joking. I just like saying dumb stuff like that.

Jesus, Wrestle. I haven't even gotten that far yet, but that fight doesn't sound very hard!

Yeah, well, you're still missing YET ANOTHER ROUND OF GRAND THUMB AUTO this evening. Mwah-hah-hah-hah-ha!

Sounds like you had the right idea, but failed to pull it off. So it's less a matter of being thick and more a matter of lacking skill. The solution is to suck less at games. TURN DOWN THE SUCK KNOB.

...whereas you'll be riding my rocket hard later on.

Er, "biotch" etc.

Yeah, well, you're still missing YET ANOTHER ROUND OF GRAND THUMB AUTO this evening. Mwah-hah-hah-hah-ha!

That was uncalled for and below the belt.

BELOW THE BELT WHERE

I KEEP MY HUGE HAIRY

RE4 PLAYING

BALLS!

Okay, just beat chapter 4-2, including the two giants in the lava room. Holy fucking shit.To get the first guy to fall in was extremely easy, and I never failed: I ran directly for the ladder, climbed up and stood under the pulley or whatever. Then, when the guy started shaking the scaffolding I jump down and activate the switch immediately. That always gets the first guy.

The other guy, however... holy fucking shit. First I spent all my shotgun ammo on him, then I spent all my hand grenades and incendiary grenades. Then I spent all my Red9 ammo, which left me with the slow ass rifle. As it turned out, all I had to do was stand still and fire one shot. Then when he got over to me, I ran forward between his legs, turned and shot. So I spent all my rifle ammo this way, until I had literally only flash grenades and green herbs left.

So the way I beat him was to stand still and hope he grabbed me. Then I'd knife him and make him keel over, at which point I could Climb his back and cut at the alien neck thingie.

Anyway, I finally beat him and was disappointed to find I had to do two more pretty hard locations (dynamite cave and flying insect cave) before I could save again.

I ordered Super Mario Galaxy today, just to force me to keep playing through RE4.

I played this again the other day, to my horror discovering that I was officially cack handed with the controls after a long time away from it. Kept pressing the wrong buttons and everything.

Just checking in, updating my RE4 diary. I have stopped playing anything else now because RE4 has drawn me in and taken over my life. I work, eat and the rest is just playing RE4 or thinking about playing RE4. Since completing 4-2, I've done all sorts of horrible shit, like the mines where the chainsaw guys from this post made numerous return appearances, and the tower with the elevator that the bad guys drop onto, and the huge beast in the top floor, and the island base with the huge mini-gun man and the regenerating wobbly fuckers with stretchy arms. Jesus. I'm guessing I'm nearing the end of 5-1 now, and I swear to God I will never start playing another Resident Evil game again, for as long as I live. I love it, but it's eating at my soul, feasting on my dreams. I never dream, but recently I have dreamt this is no coincidencethere are no coincidences I have to finish this game before it finishes me

I played some more today, finished chapter 5-1. I entered the garbage shaft, and in one of the rooms down there I faced just a bunch of enemies.

As they raped me, I was filled not with frustration, but with a warm peace. As Chuck (or whatever the fuck the guy's name is) was punctured by darts, bitten by monsters growing out of necks and crushed by the huge metal hammers of roaring brutes, his shotgun uselessly clicking and his completely full health bar in less than a second reduced to a pulsating red sliver, I smiled. I had found the end.

I held the power button on the Wii until it turned off, and for a little while longer.

Tomorrow, I'm picking up Super Mario Galaxy.

Yeah, those set pieces can be a bitch. But maybe what will get you through is the following thought: when you finish the game a first time, you can do a game+ with a couple of amazing weapons. Play the game with a Chicago Typewriter (which spews Magnum bullets and has unlimited ammo) and take revenge on all the fuckers who thwarted you the first time.

On the other hand, once you've played through the second act (the castle), the game has less and less novel things to offer. The first half is by far the most interesting and atmospheric. I don't care for laboratory settings. They bore me.

On the as-yet-unnoticed third hand, you're quite near the end! Don't give up now!

On a supplementary fourth hand, Mario Galaxy is a good game too, so whatever.

Don't give up? I'm through. There's no question. I can't remember last time I felt so relieved. I had my mind set on completing the game, but for some reason I just decided to stop playing. Usually I'd feel bad about quitting like that, but now I don't. It's just too stressful a game for me.

What, before I come crawling back? I've been trying to stop playing that game for over six months. Why would I suddenly change my mind?

Toblix, you're going to finish it. You're close. You will do it. You don't want me to lose all respect for you. I know that's important for you.

Soon as you hop on GTAIV again (you're not giving that up too, are you?) I'm going to start hounding you about finishing RE4. You're so close man, don't give in.