BigJKO

Smash Bros. Brawl compatible with Wiimote

Not sure if this warrants a new thread, but the Smash Bros Dojo just posted their most interesting post to date.

You gotta love games that cater to everyone.

(This is interesting because everyone's been assuming that they'd develop only for the GC controller to ensure that fans of the Smash Bros. Melee wouldn't get mad.)

It's great that they're supporting all four, although I'm not exactly sure why them not only developing for the GC controller is a surprise. It would be absolute insanity to only develop for the controller of a predecessor, especially with Nintendo bringing in a new audience that probably doesn't even own one.

Unless everyone was thinking it'd just be cheaply remapped in a rush.

I found it interesting, but mostly because it seemed like a classic "turn a negative into a positive" thing. Four control methods? I can't help but feel like that happened because no one was particularly satisfied with any of them.

I can't help but feel like that happened because no one was particularly satisfied with any of them.

Except that everyone who's played Smash Bros. Melee knows that one of those four control methods is perfect.

Except that everyone who's played Smash Bros. Melee knows that one of those four control methods is perfect.

darn tooting!

I was planning on using the Classic Controller, to be honest. I love the feel of that thing. I've managed to get a friend who could never stand SSB back in the day (Don't ask me how he formed that opinion. I have no idea.) hooked on Melee recently and he's been getting more and more pumped for Brawl. Given that I've been getting some practice in with Melee for the first time in a couple of years, I may now gravitate back to the GCN control scheme. Especially for the rumble.

What I wonder about is how they're going to do smash moves with just the Wiimote turned on it's side. direction + shake? And what of jumping?

I must be missing something, because the way I remember it you unleashed Smash moves with a direction and A button pressed simultaneously. Which would work easily with the Wiimote on the side..

Not quite. Each direction had two moves you could do. You could press the stick to the side slowly/gently with A for a regular attack or tap it quickly while pressing A for a smash. I'm not sure how a digital d-pad would be able to deal with that compared to an analogue stick.

If that's the case, I hope they'd let me tweak the sensitivity. I don't want to be really getting into the game and accidentally smash when I don't mean to, or dodge-roll (another tap manouver) myself off a ledge. Conversely, I'd hate to have to actually smack the person sitting next to me to smash their character. The thing is, if you don't have a GCN pad, this is the method that gives you full rumble. If it doesn't go off well, players who are new to Nintendo will be missing out on that extra bit of involvement.

Yeah, saw that earlier today. Looks like it may work. My fears of no-analogue are being put to rest slowly. All that's left for me to figure out is how I'm going to use buttons to jump. I alway hated that "tap up to jump" mechanic and just defaulted to the C/X/Y buttons to do so. Maybe + or -? It's not like I'd ever consider not getting SSBB though, so it's not really a crucial thing to know before I start playing and figure it out for myself.